Adaptive cruise and brakes

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Ted Toad

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone know if your just cruising along tracking another vehicle and they slow down slightly does your vehicle put on the brake or does it use engine braking first? Just wondering if under those small speed adjustments if the vehicle behind sees your brake lights. Of course I expect if it really has to slow down the brakes are applied and the lights come on. Thanks.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
Always braking, as far as i know, SCC pulses the ABS pump to slow the car, brake lights are always be preset, doesn’t matter if it is a 1mph slow down or a hard brake.

I will note as well that SCC doesn’t like to hard brake, there have been a few instances where I had to intervene because SCC decided it wasn’t going to slow fast enough and the “collision“ alert comes up and I had to slam the brakes myself. Seems to be much worse in this regard on the Palisade than it was on my G80, I suspect because the radar sensor is mounted so low in comparison to the G80.

Ted Toad

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. It's kind of too bad it works that way for the guy behind you who thinks you must be always stomping on the brakes. I agree that it can be slower than I would like to apply the brakes during a quick stop.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
Thanks for the response. It's kind of too bad it works that way for the guy behind you who thinks you must be always stomping on the brakes. I agree that it can be slower than I would like to apply the brakes during a quick stop.

Also wastes fuel. The constant brake then fast acceleration (even when set to the slow mode) is jack rabbit driving. I measured in my G80 home to work all SCC vs. my driving style over a period of 1 month of each and I netted 2.5mpg more than the SCC system did.

Ted Toad

Reaction score
Wow that's a major difference. So far I'm impressed with the MPG, better than I expected although I barely have 500 miles on her so far.

SunKing

Reaction score
It’s not a feature I tend to use unless on very long freeway drives. I’ll add that this system seems to work better than the one I had on a Camry as even when set to the closest following distance the Camry always liked to stay far away from anything ahead. If you keep getting cut off by someone popping into the gap ahead it gets annoying.

AirricK

Reaction score
Also wastes fuel. The constant brake then fast acceleration (even when set to the slow mode) is jack rabbit driving. I measured in my G80 home to work all SCC vs. my driving style over a period of 1 month of each and I netted 2.5mpg more than the SCC system did.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "slow mode"?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "slow mode"?
there is a setting in the system that allows you to determine the recovery time for acceleration in SCC. slow, normal, fast (might be worded different, but that is the basic meaning).

I have mine set to slow recovery mode but it still accelerates too fast for my likely..

AirricK

Reaction score
there is a setting in the system that allows you to determine the recovery time for acceleration in SCC. slow, normal, fast (might be worded different, but that is the basic meaning).

I have mine set to slow recovery mode but it still accelerates too fast for my likely..
Wow, I'll definitely need to find this setting.