Anybody done an amateur radio install

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Ted Toad

Reaction score
Hello All! Just found this forum after getting a Pali SEL last week.
I'm thinking of installing my ham rig in the car for road trips. It has 100 W output which means it draws about 22 A @ 13.8 V peak. Wondering if anyone has found an easy way to get that amount of amperage without tying directly in to the battery?
Thanks for any assistance, loving the car so far.

Devotech

Reaction score
Hello All! Just found this forum after getting a Pali SEL last week.
I'm thinking of installing my ham rig in the car for road trips. It has 100 W output which means it draws about 22 A @ 13.8 V peak. Wondering if anyone has found an easy way to get that amount of amperage without tying directly in to the battery?
Thanks for any assistance, loving the car so far.
Interested in what mounting location and solutions you may have come up with.

Ted Toad

Reaction score
Haven't done it yet but thinking about putting the radio and tuner under the driver's seat and mounting the remote head in suction cup style cell phone holder attached to the windshield. Looked at putting the radio (FT-857) in the pouch on the back of the seat but it's just too big. Have to do some tests to see if I can get away with powering from the 12V outlet, don't fancy trying to connect directly to the battery.

Ted Toad

Reaction score
Probably a simple Hustler single band for HF and a Comet dual VHF/UHF for 2M/440, mounted on a roof rack rail.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!