Anyone experience a squeaky rattle in the ceiling controls/sunroof area?

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Domenico

Reaction score
Every time I hit a bump I hear a squeaky rattle from the area of the ceiling controls and sunroof. I think the issue is the seal around the sunroof because when I open and close the sunroof the squeak tends to go away. It may return but not at the same intensity. Anyone else experiencing this? Side note: this seems to only happen when the car has sat outside. As an example: I back out of my garage and drive to work- not a peep. I leave for work and the squeak is there. I am guessing the changing temperature from sitting outside is causing the seal to expand and contract, which results in the squeak. I took a video and plan on showing it to the dealership. We shall see how responsive they are.

SunKing

Reaction score
Every time I hit a bump I hear a squeaky rattle from the area of the ceiling controls and sunroof. I think the issue is the seal around the sunroof because when I open and close the sunroof the squeak tends to go away. It may return but not at the same intensity. Anyone else experiencing this? Side note: this seems to only happen when the car has sat outside. As an example: I back out of my garage and drive to work- not a peep. I leave for work and the squeak is there. I am guessing the changing temperature from sitting outside is causing the seal to expand and contract, which results in the squeak. I took a video and plan on showing it to the dealership. We shall see how responsive they are.
Not heard of this one. Good luck with it.

Domenico

Reaction score
How many miles? So far mine is quiet, but only 1,900+ miles at the moment.
I have 390 miles. I also have a squeaky rattle starting in the dashboard just in front of the driver's seat. I am going to use 303 cleaner around the sunroof to see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I will have to very carefully use silicon. As for the dashboard, I have no idea how to DIY that one. I suppose I should expect these things since the Palisade is a new model and bugs are being worked out. Still, this is annoying as all can be.

Gene

Reaction score
I have 390 miles. I also have a squeaky rattle starting in the dashboard just in front of the driver's seat. I am going to use 303 cleaner around the sunroof to see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I will have to very carefully use silicon. As for the dashboard, I have no idea how to DIY that one. I suppose I should expect these things since the Palisade is a new model and bugs are being worked out. Still, this is annoying as all can be.
Take it to the dealership, this should not be happening. It is not on all Palisades.
Only a hand full, who knows friday afternoon build?

Domenico

Reaction score
Take it to the dealership, this should not be happening. It is not on all Palisades.
Only a hand full, who knows friday afternoon build?
A coworker also bought a Palisade and has very low miles. Hers is making goofy noises as well. I think we both got Friday editions... of course.

Gene

Reaction score
Overall the fit and finish has been pretty good on the Palisades.
There have been several rattles reported. A couple of people reported
a clip not being connected right on trim pieces. Most don't let the
rest of us know what was found.
If a reason for it is found please let the rest of us know

Domenico

Reaction score
Overall the fit and finish has been pretty good on the Palisades.
There have been several rattles reported. A couple of people reported
a clip not being connected right on trim pieces. Most don't let the
rest of us know what was found.
If a reason for it is found please let the rest of us know
If they do resolve the issue I will be sure to post their finding and solution. I hope they do and don't just tell me they cannot find it so live with it. If so I believe there is another forum designated for adding complaints about dealerships...

Gene

Reaction score
You can always record the rattle and show that to them.
If they don't address the issue, call the customer service
number in the manual and start a ticket, complain about
the dealership and ask customer service for a recommendation
for a dealership nearby that might help you

inv4zn

Reaction score
It could also be the plastic shroud around the mirror/rain sensor/camera, etc. I took mine apart the other day, and while there is felt tape on all points making contact with the windshield, one piece of tape was half off-center. Try nudging the housing around a bit with your hand to see if you can replicate the noise.

Domenico

Reaction score
You can always record the rattle and show that to them.
If they don't address the issue, call the customer service
number in the manual and start a ticket, complain about
the dealership and ask customer service for a recommendation
for a dealership nearby that might help you
I tried recording, but my phone did a terrible job. I will have to find a better way to record. I was at the dealer yesterday to get mudguards put on. The service manager was shocked when I told him what I am experiencing. My first thought was just you wait until you sell more of these... Anyways, thanks for letting me know about the customer service. I will give them a call.

Domenico

Reaction score
It could also be the plastic shroud around the mirror/rain sensor/camera, etc. I took mine apart the other day, and while there is felt tape on all points making contact with the windshield, one piece of tape was half off-center. Try nudging the housing around a bit with your hand to see if you can replicate the noise.
Felt tape - that makes perfect sense. I will give the area a nudge while parked to see if I can replicate the noise. I did discover that the drop down convex mirror wiggles a little. However, I cannot be certain that this is the cause. Frustrating, right? Yes, this vehicle technically is not a luxury vehicle, but at this price point I expected better initial quality.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

inv4zn

Reaction score
Felt tape - that makes perfect sense. I will give the area a nudge while parked to see if I can replicate the noise. I did discover that the drop down convex mirror wiggles a little. However, I cannot be certain that this is the cause. Frustrating, right? Yes, this vehicle technically is not a luxury vehicle, but at this price point I expected better initial quality.
It's frustrating for sure, but this vehicle is miles and miles quieter than the VW I traded in. I'm sure once you figure it out it'll be alright :)

The only other advice I can give is to pester service, get them to go on test drives with you, etc. I'm not entirely sure about Hyundai, but VW sneaks in a "squeaks and rattles warranty" which expires much sooner than the remaining vehicle warranty. I was pretty pissed when I found that out.

Domenico

Reaction score
It's frustrating for sure, but this vehicle is miles and miles quieter than the VW I traded in. I'm sure once you figure it out it'll be alright :)

The only other advice I can give is to pester service, get them to go on test drives with you, etc. I'm not entirely sure about Hyundai, but VW sneaks in a "squeaks and rattles warranty" which expires much sooner than the remaining vehicle warranty. I was pretty pissed when I found that out.
I found that when I firmly push up on the roof cover around the sunroof controls and just behind the driver's seat the squeaky rattle subsides greatly, and sometimes stops. Therefore, I think these areas just needs tightened up. Now the rattle that has started in the dashboard has not been solved with a push here and there. I think this rattle is coming from the HUD projector area. Oh, and a fan started to make a noise as well. I can hear it spinning. Although the fan noise doesn't intensify when I increase the fan speed. Weird.

Blacksuntzu

Reaction score
The Hyundai Warranty says adjustments 5 years/60,000 miles
New Vehicle Limited Warranty

Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

The following components are covered for time and mileage limits indicated:

• Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/36,000 miles—Equus: 5 years/60,000 miles
  • Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): for MY 16, 5 years/60,000 miles for all models
  • Paint: 3 years/36,000 miles
  • Battery: for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years/unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
  • Battery: for MY 16, 3 years/36,000 miles (no proration)
  • Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year/unlimited miles
  • Adjustments: 1 year/12,000 miles
  • Wear items: 1 year/12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs and fuses)