Bad Smelling Interior In My Palisade

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

RLPSTU

Reaction score
I also have a new 2020 Palisade Limited that has the nasty garlic smell inside. It also has black interior. The vehicle was purchased in December of 2019 and still smells anytime it sets for a few hours unless I crack all the windows. This car sets inside the garage and is not driven very often. It has less than 4000 miles since I bought it 8 months ago. I just called Hyundai and opened a case. They claim they do not see any other entries in the data base concerning the smell. Please call 1-800-633-5151 option 6 and open a case if you have this smell. My case number is 17258844 opened today 8-24-2020. I also called the dealer in Clearwater, Florida and they claim they do not know anything the smell. They want me to bring it in and they will clean the AC unit! We know it is not the AC. It will do no good to take it in because the smell dissipates in 20 minutes or so if you drive the car. I have removed all the headrests except the 3rd. row and am waiting to see if that helps with the smell.
Class Action Lawsuit for Palisade Odor
https://www.businesswire.com/.../Hellmuth-Johnson-Files...
Finally something is being done to help us. If you have the problem or any questions contact Anne Regan at (952) 460-9285. Or ARegan@hjlawfirm.com

dca99

Reaction score
I was on this forum regarding this issue a year ago when the weather warmed and my new Palisade started to stink. When I finally heard Hyundai was doing something about it, I made an appointment and took it to the dealer for the "treatment" in January. I couldn't tell if it worked as it was cold here. When the weather warmed the stink returned. The dealer told me Hyundai made them do a second treatment before any replacements. I took the car in two weeks ago for the second treatment. Two days later the smell was worse than ever. I called and the service advisor told me they knew the treatments didn't work but had to do them. However, before he could start the process with Hyundai to replace the headrests I had to take the car back so he could get some number off of it. This is the dealer where I purchased the car and where the car had already been twice to address this issue. While annoying, I drove to the dealer so the service advisor could walk out to my car for about two minutes to get some info. He said he would start the process with Hyundai. He called me this morning. When I answered I was hoping for good news like they have the replacements or at least to tell me when they would be here. Nooo ! Hyundai wants the car taken back to the dealer to have it "scanned" whatever that is. Trip number four to the dealer. At this point they are just trying to make this such pain that I go away.

They have already stated the problem was in the manufacture by a supplier that they have since replaced that supplier, they are basically just giving a giant middle finger to those of us who purchased a vehicle with this issue. I have contacted the attorney handling the suit out of Minnesota and relayed my experience in hopes that it helps her case.

By the way, I also have one with the window that whistles when driving on the highway. I was originally told it was "a characteristic of the car". Funny how I missed that on the window sticker list of features when I bought the car. At least after a year and a half they finally issued a recall to correct it.

I don't know who the marketing genius is at Hyundai who thinks this is an appropriate way to handle a defective product but they should absolutely be fired.

First and last Hyundai for me.

Decoguys

Reaction score
I never had the smell, however, I did have the wind noise problems. I finally fixed the problem by trading in my 2020 Palisades on a 2021 Lexus RX350 - problem solved. After owning the vehicle for a year I was given a GREAT trade-in...
It was a great vehicle for the money, loved the tech, but to keep the price down, the cheapened it just a bit to much, in my opinion.

Doczock

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Palisade limited with the beige interior with 18,000 miles. Took it on a trip across country which meant cooler temps and I t was parked outside at night….no smell. Now back home in Florida it stays in the garage and the smell is noticeable. The dealership did swap out the middle row headrests a couple of months ago. Seemed to help initially but now smell is back.

Bozko

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited with beige interior and it has the interior odor problem. It was built on 11/22/19 and I purchased it on 2/10/20 so it is now 17 months old and has 5,400 miles on it. I have tried numerous deodorizing products and techniques but nothing has worked. I have also taken it to the dealership. They informed me that because the initially issued TSB has proven to be ineffective, they cannot correct the problem unless and until Hyundai issues a different TSB to provide the dealerships with an effective solution. I have registered a complaint and have a case number from Hyundai. I have also signed on to the class action lawsuit mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Today I received this article from a friend that you may find of interest.

Spoiler alert: The professional detailer who wrote the article could not get rid of the odor but the owner won a Better Business Bureau arbitration case on his 7-month old Limited with 11,000 miles. He got his entire purchase price (plus interest paid) refunded. It doesn't identify the state in which he resides. I plan to investigate the Lemon Law and BBB complaint process here in Michigan to determine if this is worth pursuing. YMMV, but this may be an option for other Forum members who are stuck with a Garlicmobile.

Eric2203

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited with beige interior and it has the interior odor problem. It was built on 11/22/19 and I purchased it on 2/10/20 so it is now 17 months old and has 5,400 miles on it. I have tried numerous deodorizing products and techniques but nothing has worked. I have also taken it to the dealership. They informed me that because the initially issued TSB has proven to be ineffective, they cannot correct the problem unless and until Hyundai issues a different TSB to provide the dealerships with an effective solution. I have registered a complaint and have a case number from Hyundai. I have also signed on to the class action lawsuit mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Today I received this article from a friend that you may find of interest.

Spoiler alert: The professional detailer who wrote the article could not get rid of the odor but the owner won a Better Business Bureau arbitration case on his 7-month old Limited with 11,000 miles. He got his entire purchase price (plus interest paid) refunded. It doesn't identify the state in which he resides. I plan to investigate the Lemon Law and BBB complaint process here in Michigan to determine if this is worth pursuing. YMMV, but this may be an option for other Forum members who are stuck with a Garlicmobile.
A quick Google search shows that this detailer is in central Ohio. But I'm not sure why that matters as far as a BBB complaint goes.

Bozko

Reaction score
A quick Google search shows that this detailer is in central Ohio. But I'm not sure why that matters as far as a BBB complaint goes.
Thanks Eric! The BBB complaint process should be uniform but there may be differences in the Lemon Law qualifiers from state to state. Michigan requires that the vehicle has been subjected to repair four or more times. I’m not sure how to work around requirement since the dealership won’t accept the car for repair until Hyundai tells them how to repair it.
Here are Michigan’s Lemon Law requirements. Other states may have different ones.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Thanks Eric! The BBB complaint process should be uniform but there may be differences in the Lemon Law qualifiers from state to state. Michigan requires that the vehicle has been subjected to repair four or more times. I’m not sure how to work around requirement since the dealership won’t accept the car for repair until Hyundai tells them how to repair it.
Here are Michigan’s Lemon Law requirements. Other states may have different ones.

The law in Michigan is four+ repair attempts OR if the vehicle is out of service because of problems for a total of 30 or more days. Only if the odor is so bad you cannot drive it, would it be considered to be out of service. You would probably need to obtain a letter from a doctor recommending that you not use the vehicle due to the odor. and if you did not in fact use it for 30 days then "maybe" you would qualify for the Lemon Law.

The odor might be from improperly made foam that did not cure and continually off-gasses, which is something that happens sometimes in the spray foam insulation business for buildings when the base chemicals are not properly mixed or improperly applied. It would definitely be good if some scientist or agency were able to determine what chemicals are in the air of affected Palisade vehicles, and what those chemicals would do to the human body if breathed, and whether any of the chemicals in the air exceeded EPA, etc guidelines for a safe environment.

Doczock

Reaction score
initially, the dealership only changed out second row headrests. Smell continued. Recently, changed out front row headrests. smell is significantly better but still get slight odor when first seated in the car. Car is maintained in a garage in Florida so high heat minimal air circulation situation. One year old and approaching 20,000 miles

Alan_F

Reaction score
initially, the dealership only changed out second row headrests. Smell continued. Recently, changed out front row headrests. smell is significantly better but still get slight odor when first seated in the car. Car is maintained in a garage in Florida so high heat minimal air circulation situation. One year old and approaching 20,000 miles
It's possible that even if the new headrests are better, that the odor from the old ones still lingers inside your car. I would use an interior auto cleaner on all surfaces, glass cleaner on interior glass, shampoo the carpet (or at least the mats) with a carpet cleaner (and vacuum when dry), and leave the windows open when parked in the garage. Then I would replace the cabin air filter.

steelers

Reaction score
All owners with the STINK should be compensated. One of the benifits,or joys of buying a new vehicle is for that NEW CAR SMELL

Bozko

Reaction score
Here's an update on my Limited's odor problem and a request for information from forum members.
Update: Having filed a case with Hyundai months ago, I called Hyundai today for a status update. I gave the rep my case number and was told the case had been closed "because you told to take the car to the dealership". I never agreed to have the case closed and don't recall ever having been advised to take the car to the dealership. Despite this, I actually have taken the car to the dealership. The dealership refused to service the vehicle saying they are not allowed by Hyundai to attempt any odor remediation unless/until Hyundai issues a new TSB because the previous TSB "#20-BD-018H Headrest Odor Procedure" has not eliminated the odor in other vehicles. So Hyundai is telling me to take it to the dealer and the dealer is telling me Hyundai won't let them work on it. The rep created a new case number for me and is escalating it to the attention of a Hyundai national case manager who I am told will call me. I am skeptical but keeping my fingers crossed. BTW, I have dealt with this dealership since 1982 and purchased and serviced many Toyota's, Honda's and now my Palisade there. They have been unfailingly trustworthy and professional to the utmost over these almost four decades.
Request: If any forum members have Limiteds with this same odor problem and have taken their car to a dealership, I'd very much appreciate hearing what was said and done. Thanks!

wadeski

Reaction score
I had all of my headrests replaced and the garlic smell came back. I'm going to trade it as soon as I decide what suv I want next. Been looking at the genesis gv80.

steelers

Reaction score
Here's an update on my Limited's odor problem and a request for information from forum members.
Update: Having filed a case with Hyundai months ago, I called Hyundai today for a status update. I gave the rep my case number and was told the case had been closed "because you told to take the car to the dealership". I never agreed to have the case closed and don't recall ever having been advised to take the car to the dealership. Despite this, I actually have taken the car to the dealership. The dealership refused to service the vehicle saying they are not allowed by Hyundai to attempt any odor remediation unless/until Hyundai issues a new TSB because the previous TSB "#20-BD-018H Headrest Odor Procedure" has not eliminated the odor in other vehicles. So Hyundai is telling me to take it to the dealer and the dealer is telling me Hyundai won't let them work on it. The rep created a new case number for me and is escalating it to the attention of a Hyundai national case manager who I am told will call me. I am skeptical but keeping my fingers crossed. BTW, I have dealt with this dealership since 1982 and purchased and serviced many Toyota's, Honda's and now my Palisade there. They have been unfailingly trustworthy and professional to the utmost over these almost four decades.
Request: If any forum members have Limiteds with this same odor problem and have taken their car to a dealership, I'd very much appreciate hearing what was said and done. Thanks!
Boy I hope you are leaving something out of this story..if not I would be a tad upset....ask the dealer to contact Hyundai,and say they are screwing with a good customer

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

steelers

Reaction score
I had all of my headrests replaced and the garlic smell came back. I'm going to trade it as soon as I decide what suv I want next. Been looking at the genesis gv80.
Why would you trade because of a concern is not being addressed, and then reward them,meaning Hyundai, and buy a gv80

Bozko

Reaction score
Boy I hope you are leaving something out of this story..if not I would be a tad upset....ask the dealer to contact Hyundai,and say they are screwing with a good customer
Nope. That's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I'm a (reasonably) patient man. I'll give this newly assigned Hyundai case manager a chance to provide me with information and hopefully a solution. I really like my Palisade except for the odor but the odor is a really big deal. I would not buy a used car that smelled like tobacco and this smell is way worse than tobacco so the resale/trade-in value has got to be greatly diminished by this odor. I did not get what I paid for. I purchased this car with the intention of keeping it for a long time but if Hyundai cannot find a way to permanently eliminate the smell soon (it's already been 17 months) then I no longer want this car at all and will pursue the Lemon Law solution. Jeez, I HATE this!