Can I go back - new update is a bust

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

ImperialBlade

Reaction score
Well, I first thought this thread was a joke. Now I know, its folks completely unhappy over a software look to the interface of the head unit.
Look I get that the change was different. I too at first didn't care for it. I do however like the radio set up (I know I am in the minority here).
I don't stay on the "home screen" (old tri-way split, currently some odd screen with something else, don't even know or care), I immediately change the screen to the main task at hand. Listen to the media source of choice, navigation etc.

To be this bent out of shape over this change makes me think people need to put things in perspective. I can rattle off a laundry list of truly life affecting issues, the gui on my cars head unit is and never will be one of them.

SunKing

Reaction score
Well, I first thought this thread was a joke. Now I know, its folks completely unhappy over a software look to the interface of the head unit.
Look I get that the change was different. I too at first didn't care for it. I do however like the radio set up (I know I am in the minority here).
I don't stay on the "home screen" (old tri-way split, currently some odd screen with something else, don't even know or care), I immediately change the screen to the main task at hand. Listen to the media source of choice, navigation etc.

To be this bent out of shape over this change makes me think people need to put things in perspective. I can rattle off a laundry list of truly life affecting issues, the gui on my cars head unit is and never will be one of them.
That’s a bit condescending. I’ve not heard anyone say it’s worse than being jobless, homeless or being struck by lightning. This is a forum for Hyundai Palisade owners. If people want to gripe out loud about their vehicle, and they do, then this is the spot for it. I think the problem some folks have is that they paid a lot of money for the vehicle and the function and look of the infotainment screen was likely a selling point. I’d be pissed too if I had the same one and really liked it and they changed it to something that was vastly different and hated it. Now you’re paying off a vehicle for years and have to look at something daily you don’t like, didn’t ask for and didn’t want. Why Hyundai decided to make such a large change is odd. I have the smaller infotainment screen so didn’t get this update, but I’ve seen the pics for the updated larger one and I think it’s pretty ugly too lol. The fact that you like it, or are at least are ok about it is great, but I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss others and their opinion on it.

ImperialBlade

Reaction score
First, it's not condescending, not even a little. But good try, with the comment to "put me in my box".
Second, I paid the same money, so I can't have a say how I feel? Must be one of those, "We can do it and it's ok. but when do it...it's not". That's called hypocrisy.

Just to be clear...
So others can vent/bitch and I can't reply to it.
So what you are saying is, it's a "two tiered" forum, people can vent / bitch and others can't say anything in reply. Got it. <eyeroll>

If someone starts with the usually played out "it's a free service" bullsh!t, you can shove it.

A free service does not not trump my 1st Amendment right to free speech as it pertains to replying to someone in a forum. You may not like what I have to say, but I have the right to say it. Just like the other forum poster wrote. Others may not like it (like me), but they still have the right to say it.

Eric2203

Reaction score
First, it's not condescending, not even a little. But good try, with the comment to "put me in my box".
Second, I paid the same money, so I can't have a say how I feel? Must be one of those, "We can do it and it's ok. but when do it...it's not". That's called hypocrisy.

Just to be clear...
So what you are saying is, it's a "two tiered" forum, people can vent / bitch and others can't say anything in reply. Got it. <eyeroll>

If someone starts with the usually played out "it's a free service" bullsh!t, you can shove it.

A free service does not not trump my 1st Amendment right to free speech as it pertains to replying to someone in a forum. You may not like what I have to say, but I have the right to say it. Just like the other forum poster wrote. Others may not like it (like me), but they still have the right to say it.
While I actually agree with you on the subject of the infotainment UI and being able to post that the UI changes are not a big deal contrary to what others posted before that, please don't bring up free speech and the first Amendment. The 1st Amendment prevents Congress from making laws that infringe on your right to free speech. This forum isn't the government or Congress, and free speech has, quite literally, nothing to do with any of this. If this forum's admin decided nobody could use the word "Palisade" in their posts, and banned everyone who did, that would be entirely within their rights. Free speech has nothing to do with this website and forum, and does not apply at all in this context. You can't brandish the 1st Amendment whenever you feel like it to justify your point.

@SunKing didn't tell you that you couldn't express your opinion. He simply said you were condescending. It's his opinion, just like when you criticized others for making too big of a deal about the UI. All opinions. Which you're both debating, which is the point of a forum.

To bring this back on topic, I actually do agree that the changes are not as big a deal as many are making them out to be. I don't like the radio look either, but there are many other screens I can switch to besides the radio. Like the map, or CarPlay/Android Auto, etc. I also don't think the home screen changes are such a big deal. They provide the exact same info that the 3-way split panels did before. The only issue is that the map is now unusable on the home screen, but I seriously doubt that anybody who actually needed the map was staying on the 3-way split prior to the update. The map was either full screen or at least split 2/3-1/3 to make it somewhat usable. So I really don't think the changes are that horrible to live with.

SunKing

Reaction score

Just to be clear...

Lol my reply was pretty clear and in no way did I say your opinion was not valid. On the contrary, I said this is the spot for them. You like the change. Great for for you. But your comment that people are “this bent out of shape” about it is dismissing their opinions and suggests that they shouldn’t care that much.

ImperialBlade

Reaction score
@ SunKind and Eric2203 - so why the two tiered forum? When I express my views I get negative reaction? It's ok for others but not me? Regarding the 1st Amendment, since this is the digital town square where people come to communicate and express their options, I'll double down on my mine. If the admin wants to ban me, so be it. I'll take it as a badge of honor.
I'd love for this exact topic to be re-evaluated by SCOTUS. I'll even volunteer.

Gene

Reaction score
Didn't realize we were now a court system.
Everyone can have their own opinion and still be civil to others on here

Eric2203

Reaction score
@ SunKind and Eric2203 - so why the two tiered forum? When I express my views I get negative reaction? It's ok for others but not me? Regarding the 1st Amendment, since this is the digital town square where people come to communicate and express their options, I'll double down on my mine. If the admin wants to ban me, so be it. I'll take it as a badge of honor.
I'd love for this exact topic to be re-evaluated by SCOTUS. I'll even volunteer.
Not sure what you're talking about. I said I agreed with you on the infotainment UI. And it's perfectly fine if other people disagree with you (and me), just like you disagree with them, if that's what you mean by negative reaction.

The link you provided shows examples where Congress passed laws restricting speech on the internet, which were later overturned because they violated freedom of speech. That's the purpose of the first amendment: impost limits on Congress. It doesn't mean that every website out there has to allow all content with no restrictions - websites can have their own rules and restrictions, because they are not Congress and freedom of speech doesn't apply to them. It also has nothing to do with you being allowed to disagree with others on a forum.

I actually said there's nothing wrong with you disagreeing with others. You seem not to accept people disagreeing with you or telling you that you're condescending. They have as much right to think that as you do disagreeing with them.

ImperialBlade

Reaction score
Not sure what you're talking about. I said I agreed with you on the infotainment UI. And it's perfectly fine if other people disagree with you (and me), just like you disagree with them, if that's what you mean by negative reaction.

The link you provided shows examples where Congress passed laws restricting speech on the internet, which were later overturned because they violated freedom of speech. That's the purpose of the first amendment: impost limits on Congress. It doesn't mean that every website out there has to allow all content with no restrictions - websites can have their own rules and restrictions, because they are not Congress and freedom of speech doesn't apply to them. It also has nothing to do with you being allowed to disagree with others on a forum.

I actually said there's nothing wrong with you disagreeing with others. You seem not to accept people disagreeing with you or telling you that you're condescending. They have as much right to think that as you do disagreeing with them.
I was not condescending at all. I stand by that.

For real lol. I’m pretty sure theres nothing that was said that should generate this reaction.
From what I "learned" in this thread, I guess that you're opinion.

By the way, still waiting on my ban.

ImperialBlade

Reaction score
Well, Gene. That your opinion. If by making a fool yourself means standing by my statements so be it.

Still waiting for the ban.

We all know it's not going to happen.

So, I will continue this until it does.

If this thread locks, I will start up somewhere else.

SunKing

Reaction score
Well, Gene. That your opinion. If by making a fool yourself means standing by my statements so be it.

My god. You’re just making it worse. Who said anything about locking posts or banning you? Crazy.

Eric2203

Reaction score

Dude, I didn't say you'd get banned. I said the forum's admin can make up any arbitrary rule and ban you if he feels like it, and that won't violate your freedom of speech, because it doesn't apply to a privately-run website. It was an example, for crying out loud...

I still said I agreed with you on the UI changes not being as big of a deal, but I guess never mind that...

Palisade Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
Our policy on free speech in the community is right at the bottom of the terms of use (link in footer). It states the following:

Freedom of speech
You understand that although the constitution of the United States of America and the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights guarantees freedom of public speech for citizens of their states and countries, this website is not a US state, nor a UN country, and the behaviors and activities of members of this privately owned website are governed by this Terms of Service agreement.

--- Now please get back on topic or I will separate the debate into a separate discussion...

beallyball

Reaction score

Just to be clear...

The issue is, you’re primarily commenting on the opinions and the people , NOT the product. Your opinion on the product is valid and fair, your complaints, condescending attitude and comments targeting other’s opinions are not valid, fair, nor warranted.

Stick to discussion about the product.

Last edited:

dabj

Reaction score
It’s all in the presentation sir.

Taff

Reaction score
so its only been a few days, but even so, the previous version was far more intuitive to use and configure. Plus they eliminated the 3 split and changed it to 2 - why on earth would they do that....or at least give the option of how many splits. And quite frankly, some of the "improvements" are really a step backwards. I mean just the radio setup - who the heck thinks those channel numbers looking like an old fashion tv tubes with a digital number in them (for those of you old enough to remember when tvs actually had tubes inside before transistors). And the orange digital color is atrocious - see image. My homescreen is weird and so far almost impossible to reconfigure even though I went through what I thought was the correct setup. I have the weather and radio station on the left and time in the upper right corner. Below the radio station si a scrolling blue bar that moves, but no idea what the heck that is. Then on about 2/3'rds of the display a very, very, very faint nav map which while accurate,, is simply not readable - see image. I finally found what I believe is the update manual online and will try to see if more info is available. But if anyone knows how to go backwards, would really appreciate it. By the way, upgrade took about 3 hours - seriously, if your thinking of doing it, make sure you have enough gas in your car as it has to be left on. Look forward to any comments/suggestions etc. Maybe Hyundai needs to beta test future upgrades as I find it hard to believe they did on this one
He my I got an alert on June saying I needed to update my maps. Ok free map update I was game. I followed the instructions to the letter and am really pissed ofc that it updated the maps and the complete system. Wiping out all my presets poi addresses etc. three profiles and the only one that works is guest. I hate it.

John Smokume

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is those who desire for Hyundai to restore the owner's manual documented feature "home widgets" that created the 3-way split home screen. There is a canvas over on the Hyundai MapnSoft site to request restoration, and there are a few hundred posts. We all bought the vehicle with 3 center stack display options, whether using the 3-way split home screen via the Home Widgets feature, the two-way split screen, or using full screens. We all have our preferences. I preferred the 3-way split, and did not take kindly to losing a feature that swayed my purchase decision, and I feel was part of the purchase price. Same as if I went in for service, and the vehicle is giving back to me with different wheels.