This is a private community!

Please register to see all of our content...

Register Log in

Check Engine Light only hours after leaving the lot

SuperSnake79

Reaction score
I have always been blessed to drive a form of luxury vehicle in the past 10 years so I took a leap of faith to try out a new brand. I have been thoroughly impressed with my 12+ hours from North Carolina to Texas road trip. That being said I did run into some issues, but I am chalking that up to it being a new car with it's own quirks. When the odometer hit close to 350 the check engine light came on my new limited beauty and presented on the infotainment screen that there was a problem. I was in between nowhere and somewhere trying to get to Atlanta so it added a bit of anxiety. I decided to try out the Blue Link and was patched in with a rep. Once I provided my just recently provided security questions they pulled up the engine and read the codes off while I confirmed that is the same one I saw. The message was this, "A possible condition with your Engine Control System has been detected with your 2020 PALISADE (VIN) on 12/05/2019 at 03:00 pm CST. A full system check is recommended to be done soon. Use the MyHyundai app or visit www.myhyundai.com to schedule an appointment with your preferred dealer." He assisted in finding and scheduling an appointment that day for me near Atlanta where I was needing to be for an appointment. This was fantastic customer service and already felt far better than OnStar and BMW's limited services I have had in the past. Unfortunately after the trip to dealer and they cleared the codes on my way back to Texas a day later after this event the light came back on. The symptoms were the same so I did not take it in this time. The symptoms with this error caused the engine to surge at low speeds. When the auto brake feature is engaged it tries to move forward jerking you through. The other symptom that happened the first time was limp mode. This was not fun in the ATL traffic by any means fortunately I guess; I was limited to only 40 MPH with traffic. I plan on taking the car in to the dealership in my home town on Monday, and hopefully there will be an actual resolve to this. I am taking this in stride since it is a newer vehicle and they are expected to have their quirks.

20191204_153215.jpg
Checklist for the dealership

Check on TSBs: 19V-802, 19-SS-003H, wind noise one, and hopefully ECS
Have them address the paint defect on the drivers side passenger door.
Ask if Canadian Lights can be installed without any additional wiring

G

G-376187

They said it was old codes that were never cleared. This was obviously not the case, but they were able to clear it for a couple of hundred miles. I just got it in the shop today and they are replacing the module now and it is back ordered a couple of weeks. Now just struggling to have them help me with a wiring task that I only have Korean diagrams in the box.

Nniebs

Reaction score
I just had the same thing ( engine light, cleared then came back) happen to our palisade. I was wondering if i have some poor fuel or something.... hopefully its nothing. did the new module fix things?

saxman242

Reaction score
I just had the same thing ( engine light, cleared then came back) happen to our palisade. I was wondering if i have some poor fuel or something.... hopefully its nothing. did the new module fix things?
Did it happen after filling up? A loose gas cap is a very common cause of check engine lights.

JealousBacchus

Reaction score
Spectacle - Nothing is ever really predictable with modern cars, but based on those error codes, it seems likely that it's a bad cam shaft position sensor. If so, that's an easy fix under warranty, and not something to be concerned about as long as its a one-off/doesn't reoccur after replacing the sensor.

CapeCod

Reaction score
I have had my Palisade for 2.5 months, less than 2500 miles and the check engine light came on. dealer said it was nothing, 3 days later after only a few miles it was back on. They said it was a different code, cam shaft. they kept it and drove it a hundred or so miles testing and trying different things. delivered it to my house and said it was good to go. 17 miles later it was back on. Now I'm concerned this is something more serious. anyone else having this issue with cam shaft sensor

saxman242

Reaction score
trying different things.
What did they replace when it was in for service?

Camshaft position sensor codes are common on vehicles and can be triggered by oil issues, etc... or it can be triggered by a bad camshaft position sensor. Particularly in cases where it's an intermittent issue, dealers like to assume it's an oil related thing, so they'll do oil changes, etc before replacing the sensor itself. Wouldn't shock me if they tried something other than replacing the sensor and drove it around a bit, clearing the code. If it didn't come back right away, they likely assumed that fixed it.

Best place to start is by looking at the service record to see what they actually changed out.

Spectacle

Reaction score
Our Palisade Limited with 350 miles has a CEL. Here are the codes. Appt with dealer tomorrow. I will update the thread with the outcome.
We've had our Palisade back from the dealer for about 2 weeks and put close to 300 miles on it since its return. As of today, the CEL has not returned. Here's what I know.

- For reference, the symptoms of this issue manifested as a stumble or slight jerk from the motor when it attempted to go into and out of "auto off" mode. Drivability outside of those conditions remained normal, but it did feel like the issue was getting worse over time before we took it in.
- I am a "car guy". I know how motors work and my way around an engine bay. So, without going into detail I will just say this - my local Hyundai dealer's service department was TERRIBLE and I will never return there. Just putting that out there for full disclosure. All the information I'm giving below is directly from the tech that worked on my car. I spoke with him in person and he's very competent mechanic and knows what he's talking about. But the service department as a whole and their advisors are worthless.
- The GDS scanner (Hyundai's ECU scan tool) that this dealer had was out of date and couldn't monitor the cam phaser operation until it was updated. Prior to the update, all it could do was read the trouble codes. After the update, the tech was able to monitor the cam phaser operation and watch it move upon command from the ECU. In case you're curious, the cam phaser is what allows the motor to advance or retard the intake cam timing. At a high level, variable cam timing allows the ECU to maximize torque in a wide RPM range. Every manufacturer implements it a little different. I am familiar with Honda and BMW's implementation, but not so much with Hyundai's.
- There are no service bulletins or recalls on this issue as of my dates of service. Hyundai's "tech line" recommend the tech install a new cam phaser, which they purchased and I put eyes on at the tech's station on top of his toolbox. However, the new phaser was NOT installed (which I'm thankful for) for this reason - my car only had ~350 miles on it. Tearing into a new motor to replace such an intergral part of the engine seemed premature to both the tech and myself. He wanted to explore every available option before going to that level, and left the install of the new phaser as a last resort. I full supported this decision.
- As stated on the attached service ticket, the applied "fix" was to clean the oil control valve (which I assume to be the filter that is attached to it). From some Google'ing, this appears to be a pretty common issue with Hyundai motors. If you experience this same issue, I recommend asking the dealer to check the OCV for debris. My best guess is there was some debris floating around in the oil that clogged the OCV filter and reduced oil pressure to the valve, which in turn caused the cam phaser to not move as commanded.

Attachments

Alan_F

Reaction score
I have had my Palisade for 2.5 months, less than 2500 miles and the check engine light came on. dealer said it was nothing, 3 days later after only a few miles it was back on. They said it was a different code, cam shaft. they kept it and drove it a hundred or so miles testing and trying different things. delivered it to my house and said it was good to go. 17 miles later it was back on. Now I'm concerned this is something more serious. anyone else having this issue with cam shaft sensor
I would open a case directly with Hyundai Motor America.

FFEMT6

Reaction score
We've had our Palisade back from the dealer for about 2 weeks and put close to 300 miles on it since its return. As of today, the CEL has not returned. Here's what I know.

- For reference, the symptoms of this issue manifested as a stumble or slight jerk from the motor when it attempted to go into and out of "auto off" mode. Drivability outside of those conditions remained normal, but it did feel like the issue was getting worse over time before we took it in.
- I am a "car guy". I know how motors work and my way around an engine bay. So, without going into detail I will just say this - my local Hyundai dealer's service department was TERRIBLE and I will never return there. Just putting that out there for full disclosure. All the information I'm giving below is directly from the tech that worked on my car. I spoke with him in person and he's very competent mechanic and knows what he's talking about. But the service department as a whole and their advisors are worthless.
- The GDS scanner (Hyundai's ECU scan tool) that this dealer had was out of date and couldn't monitor the cam phaser operation until it was updated. Prior to the update, all it could do was read the trouble codes. After the update, the tech was able to monitor the cam phaser operation and watch it move upon command from the ECU. In case you're curious, the cam phaser is what allows the motor to advance or retard the intake cam timing. At a high level, variable cam timing allows the ECU to maximize torque in a wide RPM range. Every manufacturer implements it a little different. I am familiar with Honda and BMW's implementation, but not so much with Hyundai's.
- There are no service bulletins or recalls on this issue as of my dates of service. Hyundai's "tech line" recommend the tech install a new cam phaser, which they purchased and I put eyes on at the tech's station on top of his toolbox. However, the new phaser was NOT installed (which I'm thankful for) for this reason - my car only had ~350 miles on it. Tearing into a new motor to replace such an intergral part of the engine seemed premature to both the tech and myself. He wanted to explore every available option before going to that level, and left the install of the new phaser as a last resort. I full supported this decision.
- As stated on the attached service ticket, the applied "fix" was to clean the oil control valve (which I assume to be the filter that is attached to it). From some Google'ing, this appears to be a pretty common issue with Hyundai motors. If you experience this same issue, I recommend asking the dealer to check the OCV for debris. My best guess is there was some debris floating around in the oil that clogged the OCV filter and reduced oil pressure to the valve, which in turn caused the cam phaser to not move as commanded.
Thanks for keeping us posted, and the added information on this potential problem. I have saved a copy of the TSB you attached just in case. Glad it didn't require anything more invasive.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us posted, and the added information on this potential problem. I have saved a copy of the TSB you attached just in case. Glad it didn't require anything more invasive.
Am I missing something? I did not see any TSB attached.

All I saw attached was first a list of codes and descriptions, and then in a later post there was attached the dealer invoice for the warranty service describing what they did to fix the problem (clean out debris in the OCV).

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

FFEMT6

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I did not see any TSB attached.

All I saw attached was first a list of codes and descriptions, and then in a later post there was attached the dealer invoice for the warranty service describing what they did to fix the problem (clean out debris in the OCV).
🤦‍♂️ I meant dealer service sheet. Not sure why I said TSB. Sorry for the confusion.