Completed Update 2021 Palisade Calligraphy

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

GillDriver

Reaction score
After many failed attempts I finally completed the Map updates. I downloaded the updater on my Macbook Pro and tried to use a 128GB flash drive. I got several error messages and had to "retry" many times until it completed coping the files from the computer to the USB drive. I inserted the 128GB USB drive in the vehicle, initiated the update and got through a few steps before getting a message that the update failed.

After reading several messages on this forum I ordered a 64GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 USB Flash Drive. I removed the Updater App from my Mac and stated over from the MyHyundai site. This time I followed each step including reinstalling the app to my Mac and the files copied to the USB drive without issue.

I inserted the 64GB drive in the vehicle and initiated the update and it completed the update in about 25 minutes; unfortunately I did not remove the flash drive from the vehicle USB slot after the update completed (there was no indication to do so) and the update restarted all over again as if in a loop. After another 25 minutes I watched carefully and removed the drive as soon as I got the "System Restarting" message. This worked fine and now I just need to get comfortable with the new interface look and functionality. My wife tells me I need to appreciate change so I'll take learning to appreciate the new interface as a personality improvement project.

Eric2203

Reaction score
After many failed attempts I finally completed the Map updates. I downloaded the updater on my Macbook Pro and tried to use a 128GB flash drive. I got several error messages and had to "retry" many times until it completed coping the files from the computer to the USB drive. I inserted the 128GB USB drive in the vehicle, initiated the update and got through a few steps before getting a message that the update failed.

After reading several messages on this forum I ordered a 64GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 USB Flash Drive. I removed the Updater App from my Mac and stated over from the MyHyundai site. This time I followed each step including reinstalling the app to my Mac and the files copied to the USB drive without issue.

I inserted the 64GB drive in the vehicle and initiated the update and it completed the update in about 25 minutes; unfortunately I did not remove the flash drive from the vehicle USB slot after the update completed (there was no indication to do so) and the update restarted all over again as if in a loop. After another 25 minutes I watched carefully and removed the drive as soon as I got the "System Restarting" message. This worked fine and now I just need to get comfortable with the new interface look and functionality. My wife tells me I need to appreciate change so I'll take learning to appreciate the new interface as a personality improvement project.
It didn’t run the update twice in a loop. According to your last comment, you had the old interface. That means you had a version pre-November 2020. When updating from the old interface, it first updates to the November 2020 update (new interface), then to the April 2021 update. So it was supposed to happen twice. You are supposed to wait until it tells you it’s done, even if it looks like it’s doing nothing.

GillDriver

Reaction score
It didn’t run the update twice in a loop. According to your last comment, you had the old interface. That means you had a version pre-November 2020. When updating from the old interface, it first updates to the November 2020 update (new interface), then to the April 2021 update. So it was supposed to happen twice. You are supposed to wait until it tells you it’s done, even if it looks like it’s doing nothing.
This is very helpful, but I sure would like a little more clarification. The vehicle is 2021 and was purchased new in February 2021. When I ran the update it looked exactly the same both times. First went through map updates 1/5 etc. and then finished at uCom update. Then it showed exactly the same thing for a second time. Are you saying that if I had just left the flash drive in the USB port after the second time it would have not run through a third update. The second update gave no indication that it was doing anything different from the first update.

Eric2203

Reaction score
This is very helpful, but I sure would like a little more clarification. The vehicle is 2021 and was purchased new in February 2021. When I ran the update it looked exactly the same both times. First went through map updates 1/5 etc. and then finished at uCom update. Then it showed exactly the same thing for a second time. Are you saying that if I had just left the flash drive in the USB port after the second time it would have not run through a third update. The second update gave no indication that it was doing anything different from the first update.
Correct. There’s no indication that it’s doing anything different. It would have stopped after the second update. There was no way for you to know that, though.

There is no UI difference between the November 2020 and April 2021 updates. Just map updates, bug fixes, etc. The big UI change was in the Nov. 2020 update.

You car may have been purchased new in Feb. 2021, but that means it was built in late 2020 (open the driver door and look on the inside of the B-pillar for the sticker with your manufacturing date on it). The infotainment system itself was built before that and almost certainly preloaded with software before assembly in the car. That happened weeks or even months before your car was built. There was no way for it to have the Nov. 2020 update already applied. You did say you noticed a UI difference between before and after the updates.

I hope that helps.

GillDriver

Reaction score
Correct. There’s no indication that it’s doing anything different. It would have stopped after the second update. There was no way for you to know that, though.

There is no UI difference between the November 2020 and April 2021 updates. Just map updates, bug fixes, etc. The big UI change was in the Nov. 2020 update.

You car may have been purchased new in Feb. 2021, but that means it was built in late 2020 (open the driver door and look on the inside of the B-pillar for the sticker with your manufacturing date on it). The infotainment system itself was built before that and almost certainly preloaded with software before assembly in the car. That happened weeks or even months before your car was built. There was no way for it to have the Nov. 2020 update already applied. You did say you noticed a UI difference between before and after the updates.

I hope that helps.
Thanks very much. You seem very knowledgeable on this subject and I appreciate your explanation. I guess in today's high tech environment it is unreasonable to assume that a vehicle with only 5 mile on the odometer has the latest updates. I certainly hope that I did no damage by removing the flash drive after the second system restart.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Your vehicle was probably built 11/20 or prior, so you didn't have the new UI look. My 02/21 build date Calligraphy already did, but the update still did some changes to it. When mine finished, there was a notice on my screen, so I assume it wasn't going to 'loop', like it happened to my Fords if I didn't remove the USB like 10 seconds after a message popped up. Anyway, if you had a warning to remove the USB, you're good. If you're not sure, check your voice commands. Sometimes they're the last thing to update, and if you remove the USB too soon, you wouldn't have them. Good luck.

Eric2203

Reaction score
Thanks very much. You seem very knowledgeable on this subject and I appreciate your explanation. I guess in today's high tech environment it is unreasonable to assume that a vehicle with only 5 mile on the odometer has the latest updates. I certainly hope that I did no damage by removing the flash drive after the second system restart.
Play around with it, use all the functions, see what happens. You’re probably ok. I suspect what happens at the end of the update is only on the infotainment system side. At that point, I don’t think it needs the USB drive any more anyway.

steelers

Reaction score
After seeing and hearing so many complaints regarding updates,I have never done an update,and doubt I ever will.

Gene

Reaction score
All most all problems with updates have been owners not following directions or not being able to figure out the messed up or confusing directions.
Some have just stopped the install to soon. It goes thru 5 steps total. Because the up date stops for a minute doesn't mean it is done.
I've installed every up date and they have been easy. I learned from my previous vehicles, If you do the updates as they come out it
is much easier and quicker with fewer problems.
Yes some Palisades have had problems with install but mine has been easy. There have been a few things I wish they hadn't changed, But can't please everyone
all the time.

GillDriver

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly that the update is easy once you follow each step per instructions. I got more helpful information from this forum than anywhere else. Additionally, after just a few resets and familiarization, I love the new interface. It really has a more prestigious look and the functionality is excellent. It is very helpful to try everything. For example, I found that I needed to re-sync my phone and also use different command words with the voice command; however, I think the new words are more intuitive and using the buttons to get to the screen you want works great. Thanks to everyone who posted the problems they experienced. My view is that the results are worth the effort.

bcnorthwest

Reaction score
Inspired by this thread, I took the plunge and updated my 2021 Calligraphy yesterday. Mine was made in March 2021. So far so good…although I am still working thru the settings to see what changed. Many thanks!

elp_jc

Reaction score
I changed it right away after purchase, so also don't know what was better, other than the one thing that made me do it: The nav didn't have a 'cancel' button on the main screen; it had a 'pause' one instead. My screen was already the 'ugly' version, so no changes I could see.

By the way, there's another change coming soon, reportedly, to be able to lower windows, and crap like that, thru voice commands. I don't use voice commands, but I'm sure it'd have other improvements. We'll see :).

Gene

Reaction score
I changed it right away after purchase, so also don't know what was better, other than the one thing that made me do it: The nav didn't have a 'cancel' button on the main screen; it had a 'pause' one instead. My screen was already the 'ugly' version, so no changes I could see.

By the way, there's another change coming soon, reportedly, to be able to lower windows, and crap like that, thru voice commands. I don't use voice commands, but I'm sure it'd have other improvements. We'll see :).
While the other screen did not have a cancel on the screen , all you had to do was hold your finger on the pause for 3 sec. and it did the cancel
The new Ioniq5 has the voice commands like lower and close the windows, turn on or up and down seat heating and cooling among a bunch
of other commands by voice. The Korean version doesn't have out side mirrors, only a camera and a digital screen just inside the door. no door
handles like we know them, just a touch panel to open the door. While the Ioniq5 is a compact SUV the Ioniq7 is slightly bigger than the Palisade
and fully electric
The Ioniq5 just went on sale, in Korea there were 24000 listed for sale or preorder. All 24,000 sold out or were preordered the first day