Costco Auto Program Pricing

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

Alan_F

Reaction score
The accessories that are on the Monroney Label (sticker) are added on by the Hyundai Motor America distributor, usually at the port of entry for cars made in Korea. The accessories included might be decided by the distributor based on geography and past customer/dealer demand for new allocations, or in some cases may be customized according to a specific dealer request as to how they want a particular vehicle equipped, or how the dealer wants all of their vehicles equipped.

Hyundai owns all of the USA regional distributors, but some automakers have regional distributors that may be owned by private companies (Gulf States Toyota and Southeast Toyota are not owned by Toyota, but all other regional distributors are owned by Toyota).

Alan_F

Reaction score
seemed odd to me as I have ordered many custom configurations from GM, BMW, and Audi. but no Hyundai Dealer I spoke with would do a customer order, they would only tell me what they had in-route from Korea and allow me to put a deposit on it.
The inability to do custom orders started out mainly as a Japanese thing a long time ago when all their vehicles were imported into the USA, and this was later adopted by the Koreans also. The Japanese also "sort of" invented fixed trim and package levels, where specific options are associated with certain trim levels or packages, but no (or very little) customization beyond that. Nowadays, just about all manufacturers have adopted the trim or package level philosophy, but some still allow customization beyond that.

Part of the reason for this is that the manufacturers have to tell vendors months in advance what parts they need (which can vary by trim level), and they have to make the decision about how many of each trim level to build far in advance. Also, it makes inventory a lot less complicated by standardizing the options by trim level. I think most people would be surprised at the number of parts in a vehicle that are made by third party vendors, and not the auto manufacturer. When Hyundai decided on how many Limited's and Calligraphy models to build (versus SE and SEL), they obviously underestimated the demand for the high levels, but sometimes hard to quickly change the order for parts needed for the higher trim levels.

I believe that German manufacturer's still allow extensive customization, and some even have a European delivery program for vehicles made in Germany, where you pick up your customized order at the factory in Germany, use it for a vacation in Europe, and they will arrange shipping back to the USA. But I talked to a Mercedes dealer one time, and they said the vast majority of customers just buy whatever is on the lot. GM, Ford, and the old Chrysler used to allow complete customization, but I don't really know how much customization they allow nowadays.

Obviously, the accessories added on by the Hyundai regional distributors are different, as discussed above.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
The inability to do custom orders started out mainly as a Japanese thing a long time ago when all their vehicles were imported into the USA, and this was later adopted by the Koreans also. The Japanese also "sort of" invented fixed trim and package levels, where specific options are associated with certain trim levels or packages, but no (or very little) customization beyond that. Nowadays, just about all manufacturers have adopted the trim or package level philosophy, but some still allow customization beyond that.

Part of the reason for this is that the manufacturers have to tell vendors months in advance what parts they need (which can vary by trim level), and they have to make the decision about how many of each trim level to build far in advance. Also, it makes inventory a lot less complicated by standardizing the options by trim level. I think most people would be surprised at the number of parts in a vehicle that are made by third party vendors, and not the auto manufacturer. When Hyundai decided on how many Limited's and Calligraphy models to build (versus SE and SEL), they obviously underestimated the demand for the high levels, but sometimes hard to quickly change the order for parts needed for the higher trim levels.

I believe that German manufacturer's still allow extensive customization, and some even have a European delivery program for vehicles made in Germany, where you pick up your customized order at the factory in Germany, use it for a vacation in Europe, and they will arrange shipping back to the USA. But I talked to a Mercedes dealer one time, and they said the vast majority of customers just buy whatever is on the lot. GM, Ford, and the old Chrysler used to allow complete customization, but I don't really know how much customization they allow nowadays.

Obviously, the accessories added on by the Hyundai regional distributors are different, as discussed above.
GM and Ford only all custom order on their high end and special vehicles.

Corvette
Camaro
Escalade and the GM/Chevy equivalents.
Silverado
Mustang
Navigator

Etc.

Chrysler only allows customization on their SRT highend line and their trucks.

MBZ, Audi and BMW allow it on any vehicle as far as I know. At least 4 years ago they did.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I was also told by several Hyundai Dealerships that you can't order any Hyundai, they get allocations and that is what they are stuck with.
That sounds about right. When you 'order' a vehicle, all a dealer does is try to match what you want, with what they have coming. I guess I was 'lucky' when they found exactly what I wanted... only that it wasn't. Ha ha. But yes, it's much cheaper and efficient to produce each trim level the same way, with only 2 or 3 interior color variations.

thepaperpusher

Reaction score
all the dealers in Ca are doing the same market adjustment bullshit, some as high as $20k over MSRP.

I drove to Peoria AZ, Larry Miller Hyundai. he has 80+ Palisades on his lot at any given time,. got mine under MSRP. Larry Miller's sales team do not work on commission, they are all paid a salary, their goal is product movement.

round trip cost me $200 in gas and such, saved me about $2,000 off MSRP all the market adjustment crap.

actually had a dealer in CA tell me they were "doing me a favor" by offering me the wrong color Calligraphy for "only" $10K over MSRP. flat out told the guy he was a fucking moron.
Congratulations on the deal! I'm also in the market for a Calligraphy AWD and was wondering if you'd be willing to share your window sticker and cost breakdown (sale price + taxes + fees). I'm also in California and am going to attempt a deal with Marisa, but it would help to have some solid numbers to gauge my limits.

Thanks for your posts - I'm sure they've deterred a lot of ppl from being taken advantage of with these ridiculous market adjustments we're seeing in SoCal.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I just closed a deal with Larry Miller, but in ALB. Not sure with CA residents, but for TX ones, AZ has to charge their full 8.1% sales tax, where I'd lose a grand, so Peoria is a no-go for me. Their ALB dealership agreed to sell me an incoming silver/black FWD at MSRP with zero fees. And since it came with cargo cover and bumper applique, which I didn't want (but have to take), dealer threw the OEM carpeted cargo mat for free, and also a temporary tag. It also comes with carpeted floor mats, but I do want those. MSRP is $47,865, will give them $1K tomorrow, and take a cashier's check with the rest when I go pick it up next week. Not a penny extra in fees, which was nice :)... but will have to spend in gas for the way back (superchargers are free for the Tesla, so not extra cost there).

Having said that, ALB wants 5 grand over MSRP for their AWD models, as an FYI, which is strange (same owner). I thought FWDs were more desirable, but maybe not there. Ha ha. They have 2 white with dark-brown/beige, like I wanted it, but both AWD and ADM are deal-breakers for me. Silver with black was my next color combo, since it's beautiful, especially with the silver trim accents, and quite rare compared to white and black. So happy about the deal. Just hope there are no issues with the SUV, or the deal, but it shouldn't. I'll make sure to test drive it before signing anything. Wish me luck. Ha ha.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
Congratulations on the deal! I'm also in the market for a Calligraphy AWD and was wondering if you'd be willing to share your window sticker and cost breakdown (sale price + taxes + fees). I'm also in California and am going to attempt a deal with Marisa, but it would help to have some solid numbers to gauge my limits.

Thanks for your posts - I'm sure they've deterred a lot of ppl from being taken advantage of with these ridiculous market adjustments we're seeing in SoCal.

my OTD was $52,450 with 8.1% AZ tax. (roughly $3900) MSRP was $49,900 I paid $46,650 plus the taxes. and a 10/120 bumper to bumper extended warranty zero deductible. ($1900)

$46,650 price
$1,900 warranty
$3,900 tax

I received the premium carpets, cargo net, cargo cover, rear bumper applique, door edge guards, clear wrap door handle protectors, and front driver/pass window tint (50%).

I received $750 "coupon" from their website for purchasing online, $500 military discount and $500 for >800 FICO discount, $500 returning (Hyundai) customer discount.

I had to pay the 1.9% tax difference when I registered the vehicle in CA ($450) and the CA registration ($670) when I returned to CA.

--

had I purchased in CA I would have been closer to $65,000 with everything due to the "market adjustment" crap.

thepaperpusher

Reaction score
my OTD was $52,450 with 8.1% AZ tax. (roughly $3900) MSRP was $49,900 I paid $46,650 plus the taxes. and a 10/120 bumper to bumper extended warranty zero deductible. ($1900)

$46,650 price
$1,900 warranty
$3,900 tax

I received the premium carpets, cargo net, cargo cover, rear bumper applique, door edge guards, clear wrap door handle protectors, and front driver/pass window tint (50%).

I received $750 "coupon" from their website for purchasing online, $500 military discount and $500 for >800 FICO discount, $500 returning (Hyundai) customer discount.

I had to pay the 1.9% tax difference when I registered the vehicle in CA ($450) and the CA registration ($670) when I returned to CA.

--

had I purchased in CA I would have been closer to $65,000 with everything due to the "market adjustment" crap.
Thanks for the response.

Can you clarify your MSRP being $49,900? Did that include accessories and/or transportation fee?

I was under the impression the MSRP was the base MSRP listed in the window sticker - $46200 for FWD and $47900 for AWD.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
Thanks for the response.

Can you clarify your MSRP being $49,900? Did that include accessories and/or transportation fee?

I was under the impression the MSRP was the base MSRP listed in the window sticker - $46200 for FWD and $47900 for AWD.

paperwork says MSRP $49,835 invoice $46,604

MSRP included the premium mats, cargo cover, cargo net, rear bumper applique, and transportation fee.

other stuff was dealer add on, that I refused to pay for as I told them when I purchased the car online that I would not pay for any dealer add-ons and they agreed to it and signed on it, but their prep team installed them anyway. since I had a signed document from them that they agreed to not install I got the door edge and handle guard (clear 3m) and the tint at no charge.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Yes, but the $1,185.00 destination charge is extra, as well as the port added extras (floor mats, bumper applique, cargo mat, etc), and the total MSRP is at the very bottom. THAT is the true MSRP of the vehicle. The 'added MSRP' many dealer tack on to the side is not the true MSRP. That's why it's better to just post figures. If the MSRP is anything higher than 50 grand on an AWD, there is going to be tacked on crap there.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
Yes, but the $1,185.00 destination charge is extra, as well as the port added extras (floor mats, bumper applique, cargo mat, etc), and the total MSRP is at the very bottom. THAT is the true MSRP of the vehicle. The 'added MSRP' many dealer tack on to the side is not the true MSRP. That's why it's better to just post figures. If the MSRP is anything higher than 50 grand on an AWD, there is going to be tacked on crap there.

my posted MSRP is from the sticker, not the dealer add-on sticker. and as indicated it included the destination charge as well as the port added extras.

my purchase was below sticker MSRP because I had a bunch of discounts that got stacked, dealer doesn't lose on those as they are manufacturer discounts (except the $750 rebate from the dealer website) and the dealer gets paid back that $1,500 in their incentives.

plus they made $1900 on me for the 10/100 bumper to bumper zero deductible warranty. while it is likely not needed, with all the electronics in this truck and the fact that I plan on keeping it until it dies I wanted some level of coverage if things crap out down the line. If it wasn't for all the electronic crap I wouldn't have bother with the extended.

Alan_F

Reaction score
plus they made $1900 on me for the 10/100 bumper to bumper zero deductible warranty. while it is likely not needed, with all the electronics in this truck and the fact that I plan on keeping it until it dies I wanted some level of coverage if things crap out down the line. If it wasn't for all the electronic crap I wouldn't have bother with the extended.
If the extended warranty was the Hyundai Protection Plan Vehicle Service Contract (VSC), then the dealer probably made about $500 profit (based on $1900 selling price). It is offered by Hyundai Motor America, and it has a dealer cost just like any part or vehicle. There is no MSRP for those (at least not publicly disclosed), and the dealer can sell it for any price they want. Similar situation if the dealer sold a third part warranty.

If it was a extended warranty offered by the dealer (HMA or third party not involved and dealer is liable for all repairs), then it is possible the dealer could make a $1900 profit if you never filed any claims.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
If the extended warranty was the Hyundai Protection Plan Vehicle Service Contract (VSC), then the dealer probably made about $500 profit (based on $1900 selling price). It is offered by Hyundai Motor America, and it has a dealer cost just like any part or vehicle. There is no MSRP for those (at least not publicly disclosed), and the dealer can sell it for any price they want. Similar situation if the dealer sold a third part warranty.

If it was a extended warranty offered by the dealer (HMA or third party not involved and dealer is liable for all repairs), then it is possible the dealer could make a $1900 profit if you never filed any claims.

HPP Platinum. I don’t do third party warranties. Did it once with Chrysler and it was the biggest pain in the ass to work with., Everything had to be paid up front and then they “might” reimburse you at some point. Usually took 6-8 months to get your money back.

To me the point of a warranty is so I don’t have any out of pocket, when I have to front a $3,500 repair in hopes I get it back I see no point to the warranty.

Alan_F

Reaction score
HPP Platinum. I don’t do third party warranties. Did it once with Chrysler and it was the biggest pain in the ass to work with., Everything had to be paid up front and then they “might” reimburse you at some point. Usually took 6-8 months to get your money back.

To me the point of a warranty is so I don’t have any out of pocket, when I have to front a $3,500 repair in hopes I get it back I see no point to the warranty.
I have no problem with decision to get HPP extended warranty, especially if keeping a vehicle a long time. Too many electronic stuff on them these days.

Getting the HPP warranty is definitely the way to go, since you can go to any Hyundai dealer in the USA, and the warranty information is in their computers.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I don't rule out a factory backed 'service contract' (no such thing as an 'extended warranty'), but no way I'd pay for it 5 years in advance. Or 10, since the powertrain warranty is 10/100K. Never had purchase any such thing so far, so I'm waaaaay ahead of the game, even if something happens. But of course I have disposable funds for that. Those tight on funds, or not very disciplined with expenses, I can see the benefit of just financing it along with the truck, or whatever the case might be. I always shop for discount dealers when considering such contracts, and always find them way cheaper many years down the road, compared to what dealers offered it for when vehicle was new. I'd only consider it in advance if it was much cheaper than the best offer with discount dealers.

Alan_F

Reaction score
I don't rule out a factory backed 'service contract' (no such thing as an 'extended warranty')...
That is true, because to be called a "warranty" by law it must be provided to the consumer by free by the manufacturer. But it works like an extended warranty, so that is what many people call it.

thepaperpusher

Reaction score

Is there really such thing as a manufacturer extended warranty? When I was looking into purchasing "factory" extended warranty directly through Kia (VPP Platinum), the documents actually showed the warranty being serviced by Fidelity.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Is there really such thing as a manufacturer extended warranty? When I was looking into purchasing "factory" extended warranty directly through Kia (VPP Platinum), the documents actually showed the warranty being serviced by Fidelity.
In many cases the manufacturer gets an outside company to service the extended service plan, and it is honored by all the dealers who sell that brand or vehicle (in a particular country). The information about the service plan (dates and miles, etc) is typically stored in the computer systems of all the authorized dealers, and the customer does not have to file a claim when work is performed at an authorized dealer.

A third party service plan might be honored by the dealer who sold the plan, or a group of dealers, but may not be honored by all dealers for a particular brand, and may require the customer to file a claim themselves.

thepaperpusher

Reaction score
In many cases the manufacturer gets an outside company to service the extended service plan, and it is honored by all the dealers who sell that brand or vehicle (in a particular country). The information about the service plan (dates and miles, etc) is typically stored in the computer systems of all the authorized dealers, and the customer does not have to file a claim when work is performed at an authorized dealer.

A third party service plan might be honored by the dealer who sold the plan, or a group of dealers, but may not be honored by all dealers for a particular brand, and may require the customer to file a claim themselves.
If I'm understanding you correctly, the Kia VPP Platinum I mentioned is serviced by Fidelity but seeing that it is mentioned as a "Kia Distinction Vehicle Protection Plan", it is still backed and honored by all Kia dealers in the country.

I assume that's also the case with the Hyundai HPP?

elp_jc

Reaction score
You'd have to check with them, but even those service contracts backed by manufacturers, like Ford's ESP, and apparently Kia's VPP, are still service contracts from a 3rd party... BUT just backed by them, like Alan said. And that last part is very important, since they're supposed to be valid at all US dealerships, and sometimes even in MX and Canada, without having to pay anything out of pocket for covered expenses, other than your deductible (if any).