Dashboard Trim Reflection Causes Windshield Glare

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

awedbychrist

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I don't know if this is true with all Palisades, but my Calligraphy has a shiny metallic trim edge which runs across the edge of the dashboard. The trim catches the sunlight and in the daytime it reflects back onto the windshield. Sometimes it is quite distracting. Does anyone know of a way to fix that? Maybe you have found a special paint or something that cuts out its glare. Or maybe you have found a good dashboard cover? ??? Thanks, B.

elp_jc

Reaction score
It hasn't happened to me, and I have almost 2K miles on it. Is it getting the sun from the windshield, or a side window? And where exactly it's reflecting that bothers you?

awedbychrist

Reaction score
Does your dash have that shiny metallic-like trim edge? It reflects back onto the windshield, for at least 2K miles here. Maybe it is on cloudy days or partially cloudy, which this time of year is frequent. I'll try to start keeping track.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Does your dash have that shiny metallic-like trim edge? It reflects back onto the windshield, for at least 2K miles here. Maybe it is on cloudy days or partially cloudy, which this time of year is frequent. I'll try to start keeping track.
Could you post some photos of the trim?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

elp_jc

Reaction score
Does your dash have that shiny metallic-like trim edge?
It has a silver finish on top of the screen and dash, but it's not shiny. Kind of a matte silver. Maybe lesser trims have it shiny? No issues here. And yes, always post a picture to know what you're talking about :).

awedbychrist

Reaction score
Could you post some photos of the trim?
Here are some photos. You have to double click to make the photo show the line better.

Attachments

• line1.jpg
    line1.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210605_123950line3.jpg
    20210605_123950line3.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 18
  • line1.jpg
    line1.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 18

awedbychrist

Reaction score
It hasn't happened to me, and I have almost 2K miles on it. Is it getting the sun from the windshield, or a side window? And where exactly it's reflecting that bothers you?
I put some pictures up for you. The sun is above and the reflection is in the windshield. These were taken in the early afternoon, like about 12:30PM.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I can see what you're talking about, so thank you for posting that. First of all, which color interior do you have? The edge of the dash on my black Calligraphy interior looks darker than yours, so if you have one of the 2 beige interiors (with either a dark blue or dark brown dash), maybe it's brighter. But even if it isn't, I think I have a fix for you: Wear polarized sunglasses, and your problem should be solved :). Give it a try, and report back. Good luck.

awedbychrist

Reaction score
I can see what you're talking about, so thank you for posting that. First of all, which color interior do you have? The edge of the dash on my black Calligraphy interior looks darker than yours, so if you have one of the 2 beige interiors (with either a dark blue or dark brown dash), maybe it's brighter. But even if it isn't, I think I have a fix for you: Wear polarized sunglasses, and your problem should be solved :). Give it a try, and report back. Good luck.
It's a black interior. Polarized sunglasses, I can't imagine they would work, but I'll get some and give them a try. Thanks for the idea. Too bad they didn't put an eyeglass holder in the car.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Is yours a 2020, or 2021 then? I can't see how the semi-matte finish on my trim can cause that reflection, but maybe it can. I like to drive with polarized sun-glasses because there's basically no glare with those, so I'm almost sure you wouldn't see that anymore, but let us know. That'd be the easiest way to fix your issue :).

Alan_F

Reaction score
It's a black interior. Polarized sunglasses, I can't imagine they would work, but I'll get some and give them a try. Thanks for the idea. Too bad they didn't put an eyeglass holder in the car.
You may have problems with the heads-up display when wearing polarized sunglasses.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
I have the same color interior same colored trim and never noticed the glare.

easy fix, go to a vinyl shop and have them wrap the silver trim with a dark piece of vinyl, probably set you back $35

elp_jc

Reaction score
You may have problems with the heads-up display when wearing polarized sunglasses.
Negative. ZERO issues with my polarized sunglasses; all screens and HUD look the same as without them.

I'm almost sure 2020s had that piece brighter than 2021s... but it'd be too costly to replace it. Hopefully the polarized glasses will solve the OPs issue.

awedbychrist

Reaction score
Hi Again, I tried the polarized glasses. Surprised me, the glare in the windshield was gone, but so was my speedometer readout. It is reflected light and the polarized glasses made it disappear as well. I wonder if there is a vinyl shop that can do that kind of thing in this area. I'll look around.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Hi Again, I tried the polarized glasses. Surprised me, the glare in the windshield was gone, but so was my speedometer readout.
Hey, check the brightness level. I have it at the highest level (and height at 10 -out of 20-, which is mid level, and rotation at 0-deg), and although it surely dims with my polarized glasses, I can still see all the HUD info fine. I have the speedo in green, but it shouldn't matter, since I can still see all the other info in white, like when changing an XM station, etc. And more importantly, I can also see the blind-spot warnings. Give it a try;). Hope this helps.

awedbychrist

Reaction score
Here is the important info from the quote from my local vinyl wrap people. It is about 10 X what you guys thought.
What surprises me though is that none of you all seem to see the glare problem.
Maybe the clouds so common in the bright sky here somehow help make it more apparent than wherever you all live.

I think my speedometer is on a bright setting, but I'll see if making it brighter or changing it to green will help when wearing polarized sunglasses.

Thanks,
B.

1 Color Change 1 Each $50.00 $50.00
Matte black with air egress. No lamination. 3 sq ft 35" 12"
2 Field Installation 3 Hr $75.00 $225.00
Hourly installation services 3
3 Design - Hourly 1 Hr $60.00 $60.00
This handcrafted quote is based on specific information you’ve given us and is valid for 30 days.
When you approve this quote, you are agreeing to pay 100% of the quoted price. We require a 50% deposit to begin work on your
project. Once we receive your deposit, we’ll schedule your project and email you an estimated completion date. The remaining balance
is due upon completion of your order.
Need to make changes?
No problem - but please realize, changes to quantity or specifications will affect your price. We will provide you with an updated quote
based on the changes.
Subtotal:
Sales Tax (10%):
Total:
$335.00
$33.50
$368.50
Down payment (50.0 %) $184.25
SIGNATURE: DATE:
PRINTED ON

Leka21

Reaction score
I have the exact same glare! It's a 2021 SEL black interior. I can look past it, but don't see any fix besides painting it black. Crazy how expensive your quote is to cover this up.

awedbychrist

Reaction score
Leka21, Yes, Thanks. I can't imagine painting it effectively so that it would look good. Usually, for me, those kinds of projects don't end well.
I tried the polarized glasses, but unlike elp_jc's experience, neither changing the brightness on my head's up display nor changing the color of the speedometer display worked to allow me to see the head's up while wearing polarized. So I have to weight a ridiculously expensive vinyl application against driving an over-priced auto that has an annoying glare in its windscreen. For this and other design nuisances, I also have been trying to find someone to buy the car out from under me. No takers so far... If I get the vinyl, I'll post a picture.