Driver's Side Door Won't Open

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

JimE

Reaction score
Very occasionally, with the vehicle in park on level ground with the engine just turned off (for example, parking in my garage and ready to exit the vehicle), when I pull the interior handle on the driver's side door, it will not open. A release and second pull of the handle opens the door as usual. I'm thinking this is some kind of safety feature but I can't seem to find it in the manual. Any thoughts?

elp_jc

Reaction score
I don't remember any of my Hyundai/Kia vehicles being that way (one of my Euro cars was like that, but forgot which one), but you can easily check if that's the case by closing the door, locking the car, then pulling the inside door pull lever. My guess is the door WILL open at the first pull (while unlocking the door, obviously). If it does, then it'd be something wrong with your door pull; maybe something broken inside. If it only unlocks the door after the first pull too, and opens after the second, that'd mean you have auto-unlock turned off, so just go back to vehicle options and turn it on in either park, or when ignition is off. And yes, auto-lock is always on, and cannot be deactivated (something I wanted to do). Hope it's the latter, so you don't have to do anything :). Please let us know what was the issue. Good luck.

JimE

Reaction score
Thanks elp_jc. Auto unlock is turned on and works. I did verify (multiple times) that a single pull of the interior door handle opens the door - when it's either locked or unlock. The issue is that this is a very occasional problem. Maybe once every two weeks I'll pull the interior handle and the door does not open. A release of the door handle and second pull opens the door. But, you got me thinking, so now I'm now paying more attention to listening for the auto-unlock (locks unlocking) when I put the vehicle in Park. If I hear the unlocking of the locks, and the door does not open on a single pull, I have to believe it's an issue that needs to be looked at by Hyundai service. Thanks for your thoughts.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

gverbeek

Reaction score
My ‘20 does the same thing J has described. Gone thru all the setup screens, no change. Live with it, and be thankful it’s not something more critical.