Easily broken/chipped/cracked windshields

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

RedStarTX

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a call back from my Hyundai "rep." This is getting pretty irritating since it's my second attempt to contact her with no response. Going to try again on Monday. Maybe ask for a different "rep." The crack is now 2/3 of the way across the windshield.

Julia

Reaction score
I didn't read through all the pages, but Kia is giving the Telluride people support. Kia Customer Satisfaction Initiative attached.
Fingers crossed Hyundai follows suit! I love my car but don't like the lingering fear of my windshield having issues.

raggedy1

Reaction score
Hahah, yeah I find myself cringing when I approach semis on the freeway and avoid them as best I can. Big pickups too especially if they don’t have large mudguards

Julia

Reaction score
Hahah, yeah I find myself cringing when I approach semis on the freeway and avoid them as best I can. Big pickups too especially if they don’t have large mudguards
I know, right? We drove on the highway last week behind a flatbed truck (dumbass) that had at least six 3-foot long metal rods fly off it (without ANY barrier whatsoever--I called *hp because it was so dangerous). My first thought was "this is really dangerous" and my second "I'm so glad we're not in my car"! I'm like you with ANYTHING that might have rocks! I've had to replace maybe 2 windshields in 42 years of driving, and wish Hyundai get on this so we don't have be overly cautious. Normal caution is fine, but there's got to be something valid to these windshields having issues...

sd001

Reaction score
My dealership is looking into this issue. I have provided them a copy of the KIA documents. I hope everybody on this forum is actively pursuing this issue through their dealership and Hyundai corporate so that Hyundai realizes this is a real issue. I spoke to my dealerships windshield replacement company and they stated that these windshield are very thin. Everybody needs to act independently. Even those that haven't had the unfortunate occurrence of a rock hit should be voicing concern to Hyundai corporate. It's just a matter of time!!

RedStarTX

Reaction score
My dealership is looking into this issue. I have provided them a copy of the KIA documents. I hope everybody on this forum is actively pursuing this issue through their dealership and Hyundai corporate so that Hyundai realizes this is a real issue. I spoke to my dealerships windshield replacement company and they stated that these windshield are very thin. Everybody needs to act independently. Even those that haven't had the unfortunate occurrence of a rock hit should be voicing concern to Hyundai corporate. It's just a matter of time!!
So are we sure that it's basically the same windshield glass specs? The shape is obviously just different enough but if the glass structure is the same, Hyundai would have a hard time disputing it if we can get evidence.

Popeye

Reaction score
Would it be logical to belive that a car manufacturer would source windshields for other models from the same place? Are Kia and Hyundai having more than expected issues with other models? If so then one could presume it's the glass. If not, possibly the shape or how they mount the glass could be suspect.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

SunKing

Reaction score
Until a government agency or Hyundai comes out and says there’s an issue I’m not convinced there is one. Glass cracks and chips happen unfortunately. It’s just bad luck to get a stone, screw or whatever kicked up and strike your windshield at just the right angle/velocity to cause one. I haven’t had to replace a windshield in about 20 years, but I’ve had chips, star cracks on BMW, Camaro SS and Toyota Camry cars since then. Fortunately i discovered them promptly enough to self repair them before they had a chance to spread. the fact that someone may never have had one before and now they got one in their Palisade doesn’t indicate a fault, in my eyes anyway, in the glass. Don’t get me wrong, if they discover a problem then there’s a problem that needs to be addressed. But sadly these things do occur. The one I had on my BMW was like 3 weeks off the lot. If somebody’s windshield cracks spontaneously without an impact then my guess is that was an installation error that caused stress and that’s a separate issue, but not necessarily a fault in the glass. I’m just saying...I’m not trying to annoy anyone with this who’s had a crack or chip because as I’ve said above it’s super annoying. Do yourself a favor a check your windshields every couple weeks and pay attention to to edges that are hard to see from the cabin. The one I had on my Camaro was right at the very bottom just above the edge. Thankfully I caught it early n fixed it. And by the way self repair kits work great and can be had for literally a couple bucks off eBay or found in auto stores for a bit more. If you just have a small chip or star it’ll take care of it and not once had an issue with any I fixed. I recommend the syringe type kits. Anyways, take care and good luck.

sd001

Reaction score
Totally understand bad luck when it comes to getting hit with rocks. That's what I chocked it up to when we took the hit. I have also had chips over the years as I commuted on freeways for work. We were surprised by the 12"crack that developed immediately after what we heard as a very small tick hitting the windshield. I was surprised to hear from the glass company I contacted that they knew immediately the Palisade and the back order on windshields. Additionally, when I called the dealer provided glass company, they had just done a Palisade the day before and were handling the KIA dealership with their Tellurides. They added that the glass was really thin on these vehicles. The internet search brought me to this forum and finding out that Kia is helping their customers out while investigating.

sd001

Reaction score
So are we sure that it's basically the same windshield glass specs? The shape is obviously just different enough but if the glass structure is the same, Hyundai would have a hard time disputing it if we can get evidence.
No evidence of that. From what I've seen in comparison videos when we were shopping is that the two are basically built off the same platform. I would hope that Hyundai would be honest and upfront if there is a possible issue.

Julia

Reaction score
Until a government agency or Hyundai comes out and says there’s an issue I’m not convinced there is one. Glass cracks and chips happen unfortunately. It’s just bad luck to get a stone, screw or whatever kicked up and strike your windshield at just the right angle/velocity to cause one. I haven’t had to replace a windshield in about 20 years, but I’ve had chips, star cracks on BMW, Camaro SS and Toyota Camry cars since then. Fortunately i discovered them promptly enough to self repair them before they had a chance to spread. the fact that someone may never have had one before and now they got one in their Palisade doesn’t indicate a fault, in my eyes anyway, in the glass. Don’t get me wrong, if they discover a problem then there’s a problem that needs to be addressed. But sadly these things do occur. The one I had on my BMW was like 3 weeks off the lot. If somebody’s windshield cracks spontaneously without an impact then my guess is that was an installation error that caused stress and that’s a separate issue, but not necessarily a fault in the glass. I’m just saying...I’m not trying to annoy anyone with this who’s had a crack or chip because as I’ve said above it’s super annoying. Do yourself a favor a check your windshields every couple weeks and pay attention to to edges that are hard to see from the cabin. The one I had on my Camaro was right at the very bottom just above the edge. Thankfully I caught it early n fixed it. And by the way self repair kits work great and can be had for literally a couple bucks off eBay or found in auto stores for a bit more. If you just have a small chip or star it’ll take care of it and not once had an issue with any I fixed. I recommend the syringe type kits. Anyways, take care and good luck.
SunKing, thanks for the self-repair kit suggestions, but I have a feeling you're good at this stuff yourself!

SunKing

Reaction score
SunKing, thanks for the self-repair kit suggestions, but I have a feeling you're good at this stuff yourself!
Honestly using a windshield repair kit is super easy. Only a few steps and it’s fairly foolproof. There are many YouTube videos demonstrating how to use them.

sd001

Reaction score
Honestly using a windshield repair kit is super easy. Only a few steps and it’s fairly foolproof. There are many YouTube videos demonstrating how to use them.
Unfortunately my rock hit caused a 12' crack that quickly grew :( Thanks for the tip on chips though. I'll look into for my Tacoma!!

RedStarTX

Reaction score
For $50 to have someone else do the fill while I sit in the AC of my car is worth every penny. I've had chips in every windshield I've ever had except the Tundra because it was so high up off the ground. This isn't that and it's not a slow crawl from leaving the chip exposed. The rock hit should not have caused a crater in my windshield that now has a runner (with jagged edges that pools water) 2/3 across the width of my windshield. Totally different scenario. No government agency or car manufacturer is going to name a fault without public pressure to get it resolved. Remember the Fords that would spontaneously burn from inside the hood, sometimes taking the garage with it? Toyota had an issue with their Sienna van sliding doors releasing while in motion. Same thing. If those of us who have had a major issue with the way the windshield responded do not speak up, Hyunda will not fix this design flaw. The government will not get involved until there are fatalities. I sure hope that won't be necessary. I still love my Palisade but do not love the fragile windshield.

Until a government agency or Hyundai comes out and says there’s an issue I’m not convinced there is one. Glass cracks and chips happen, unfortunately. It’s just bad luck to get a stone, screw or whatever kicked up and strike your windshield at just the right angle/velocity to cause one. I haven’t had to replace a windshield in about 20 years, but I’ve had chips, star cracks on BMW, Camaro SS and Toyota Camry cars since then. Fortunately, I discovered them promptly enough to self repair them before they had a chance to spread. the fact that someone may never have had one before and now they got one in their Palisade doesn’t indicate a fault, in my eyes anyway, in the glass. Don’t get me wrong, if they discover a problem then there’s a problem that needs to be addressed. But sadly these things do occur. The one I had on my BMW was like 3 weeks off the lot. If somebody’s windshield cracks spontaneously without an impact then my guess is that was an installation error that caused stress and that’s a separate issue, but not necessarily a fault in the glass. I’m just saying...I’m not trying to annoy anyone with this who’s had a crack or chip because as I’ve said above it’s super annoying. Do yourself a favor a check your windshields every couple weeks and pay attention to to edges that are hard to see from the cabin. The one I had on my Camaro was right at the very bottom just above the edge. Thankfully I caught it early n fixed it. And by the way self repair kits work great and can be had for literally a couple bucks off eBay or found in auto stores for a bit more. If you just have a small chip or star it’ll take care of it and not once had an issue with any I fixed. I recommend the syringe type kits. Anyways, take care and good luck.

SunKing

Reaction score
For $50 to have someone else do the fill while I sit in the AC of my car is worth every penny. I've had chips in every windshield I've ever had except the Tundra because it was so high up off the ground. This isn't that and it's not a slow crawl from leaving the chip exposed. The rock hit should not have caused a crater in my windshield that now has a runner (with jagged edges that pools water) 2/3 across the width of my windshield. Totally different scenario. No government agency or car manufacturer is going to name a fault without public pressure to get it resolved. Remember the Fords that would spontaneously burn from inside the hood, sometimes taking the garage with it? Toyota had an issue with their Sienna van sliding doors releasing while in motion. Same thing. If those of us who have had a major issue with the way the windshield responded do not speak up, Hyunda will not fix this design flaw. The government will not get involved until there are fatalities. I sure hope that won't be necessary. I still love my Palisade but do not love the fragile windshield.
All impacts are different. From the material, to density, to angle to velocity etc. You can’t judge a past chip or crack and say this new one behaved differently or spread more quickly and that’s a fault. Like I said, if it turns out there’s some defect or that it meets standards but just barely and isn’t as good as some others then hopefully it’ll get addressed. I’m not trying to argue or just be on the side of Hyundai here. Did they source them from the cheapest joint in China? Who knows. Maybe. All I’m saying is I’ve had many chips, cracks over the years in several vehicles from several manufacturers, not to mention family members who I’ve fixed some for too, and it’s not uncommon.