Easily broken/chipped/cracked windshields

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

raggedy1

Reaction score
@rcsimon I don't do anything. when I start the car in the morning it will automatically switch to the front windshield defroster. maybe it's in the settings?

As for waiting on purchasing due to concerns about smell/wind noise/windshield, I don't think that those are reasons to wait, but that's just me. I was at the store this morning and someone else with a 2020 Limited AWD was loading her groceries, so I stopped to chat her up. She's had hers since August 2019 and she absolutely loves it. She has no wind noise, driveline rumble, or smell. We talked about the wind noise and while she doesn't have any issues, she asked me how I cured my wind noise and to show her the channel that I believe was a bad design by Hyundai, thus Hyundai stuffed the foam in it to try to cure the issue. We looked in her window channels and her foam pieces are very prominent. They're bigger than my factory/port installed pieces so I don't doubt that she has no wind noise problems since her window seal gap is fully sealed up whereas mine were not.

Anyway, we all know more people post on forums looking to solve problems rather than post to just tell the world how much they love their cars.

SunKing

Reaction score
I don't understand why you are attacking me. I am on this forum because I am very interested in purchasing an SUV, and would like to get the Palisade. But I don't have a deadline, particularly since I don't drive much lately, so willing to wait when I think it is the right time.

I am not the one who brought this subject up. My comments were mainly about what the root cause of the problem may be (if there is a problem). I provided information about how a lack of rigidity of the roof structure for vehicles with the Panoramic roof "might" be a contributing factor.

Why don't you attack all the Palisade owners who are complaining about this?
Well, hopefully all of this has helped you decide.

SunKing

Reaction score
@rcsimon I don't do anything. when I start the car in the morning it will automatically switch to the front windshield defroster. maybe it's in the settings?

As for waiting on purchasing due to concerns about smell/wind noise/windshield, I don't think that those are reasons to wait, but that's just me. I was at the store this morning and someone else with a 2020 Limited AWD was loading her groceries, so I stopped to chat her up. She's had hers since August 2019 and she absolutely loves it. She has no wind noise, driveline rumble, or smell. We talked about the wind noise and while she doesn't have any issues, she asked me how I cured my wind noise and to show her the channel that I believe was a bad design by Hyundai, thus Hyundai stuffed the foam in it to try to cure the issue. We looked in her window channels and her foam pieces are very prominent. They're bigger than my factory/port installed pieces so I don't doubt that she has no wind noise problems since her window seal gap is fully sealed up whereas mine were not.

Anyway, we all know more people post on forums looking to solve problems rather than post to just tell the world how much they love their cars.
True that!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Alan_F

Reaction score
@rcsimonAs for waiting on purchasing due to concerns about smell/wind noise/windshield, I don't think that those are reasons to wait, but that's just me.
Everyone has different circumstances. My current Hyundai Genesis has only 67K miles and no problems. I only drive (usually a short distance to the grocery store) about once a week or less often these days, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

I personally don't consider the wind noise problem to be big enough to make me wait, because I think I could fix it myself, or have a car stereo shop fix it for about $100 (most of them also do soundproofing). Some of the other issues I would prefer not to deal with unless I actually need to get a new vehicle (which I don't really need at the moment).

My understanding is that the wind noise problem and the headrest odor problem have been fixed on Palisades rolling off the assembly line right now.

saxman242

Reaction score
IMO, there is plenty of evidence that the Palisade experiences more windshield cracks than normal. even if there is not proof. But I don't claim that this problem with Palisade windshield glass is is proven, only that it is likely that there is more of a problem here than normal. If you want to prove my theory to be false, please provide the evidence.
If you're going to make a post citing scientific method, asking someone to then prove your theory false is very counter-productive. That's not how that works. The obligation is on the one posing the theory to prove their claims, not the other way around.

I would also advise anyone looking at the NHTSA postings and trying to extrapolate the prevelance of the problem from the number of postings to take that with a giant grain of salt. There have been a number of posts here and on other forums/communities directing people to go there to post in hopes of getting Hyundai to pay for damaged windshields. I'm not saying that the reports are falsified, just that there's a big difference between some vehicles that get people reporting at a "normal" rate and a vehicle where people are being called to action(by posts directly linking them to the NHTSA site and saying what and where to post) with a financial motivation (trying to get Hyundai to pay for their windshields) to post there.

SunKing

Reaction score
If you're going to make a post citing scientific method, asking someone to then prove your theory false is very counter-productive. That's not how that works. The obligation is on the one posing the theory to prove their claims, not the other way around.

I would also advise anyone looking at the NHTSA postings and trying to extrapolate the prevelance of the problem from the number of postings to take that with a giant grain of salt. There have been a number of posts here and on other forums/communities directing people to go there to post in hopes of getting Hyundai to pay for damaged windshields. I'm not saying that the reports are falsified, just that there's a big difference between some vehicles that get people reporting at a "normal" rate and a vehicle where people are being called to action(by posts directly linking them to the NHTSA site and saying what and where to post) with a financial motivation (trying to get Hyundai to pay for their windshields) to post there.
This guy gets it lol. Thank you.

Alan_F

Reaction score
That "is" how science works. A theory is proposed before it is proven. Einstein proposed the theory of relativity before there was any scientific experiment to support it. Later, crude measurements from photographs of light bending around gravitational forces were observed during an eclipse to support the theory.

According to Karl Popper, one cannot prove that a scientific theory is absolutely correct, as I explained above. One may think a theory is proven, but as instruments and measurements get more precise over time, it may be proven false in the future (or at least not exactly correct). Also, most scientific experiments, including clinical trials on the efficacy of drugs, are based on statistical analysis at a certain "confidence" level (usually 95%). That means the "scientific" results are likely to be at least 95% accurate, but never 100% accurate.

Scientists theorize the universe is about 13-14 billion years old, but that number changes from time to time as better methods are developed and more precise measurements can be taken. There will not likely ever be any way to prove the exact age of the universe, but that doesn't mean the universe is only 5,000 years old, as one can definitely prove that theory is wrong. As I mentioned previously, Karl Popper said that the scientific theories that are accepted as true, are really just the ones that have not proven to be false.

If someone doesn't care to believe that the incidence of windshield cracking is higher than average on the Palisade, I am not going to argue that. It was never my intention to make any claims about that, as I was just repeating what many other have said in this and other threads. The only thing I added was that the problem may not be with the glass, but may be related to lack of sufficient rigidity of the roof, especially on models with the Panoramic sunroof. What I said is clearly a theory, and I have no proof of that, and if you don't care to believe it that is OK with me. I don't claim that I know for sure that theory is correct, but I think it is a possibility. If the engineers at Hyundai don't look at all the possibilities (even before there is any proof of which is the root cause) then they will not likely discover a solution.

saxman242

Reaction score
A theory is proposed before it is proven
Which is the exact opposite of saying "here is my theory, now you prove my theory wrong".

In science, one postulates a theory and then provides the evidence to substantiate the theory.

One does not postulate a theory and then decree that others must prove the theory false.

Let's look at an asinine example to highlight the difference:

I'm going to postulate that God is a flying spaghetti monster. Prove me wrong.

I don't disagree that roof flex is a possible cause for glass to break. There is no reason to suspect that is the reason on the palisade. One would need to first actually show that there is actually a glass breakage problem and then one would need to show any evidence of a structural cause. If there is a problem, there is a laundry list of potential causes. At this point, in the absence of any data, everything is just wild, pointless speculation.

steelers

Reaction score
All this discussion is very interesting. My theory is, if your winshield cracks Hyundai will pick up the expense, if handled properly.
This is what matters most to owners.Of course a clear and accurate cause of the breakage would be ideal, but I don't see that coming anytime soon.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Which is the exact opposite of saying "here is my theory, now you prove my theory wrong".

In science, one postulates a theory and then provides the evidence to substantiate the theory.

One does not postulate a theory and then decree that others must prove the theory false.

Let's look at an asinine example to highlight the difference:

I'm going to postulate that God is a flying spaghetti monster. Prove me wrong.

I don't disagree that roof flex is a possible cause for glass to break. There is no reason to suspect that is the reason on the palisade. One would need to first actually show that there is actually a glass breakage problem and then one would need to show any evidence of a structural cause. If there is a problem, there is a laundry list of potential causes. At this point, in the absence of any data, everything is just wild, pointless speculation.
That is exactly what Einstein did. He proposed the theory of relativity about 1911 (more or less), but left it to others to prove or disprove it. Conducting an experiment to support his theory was not easy back then, because one had to travel to a total eclipse of the sun when the skies were not cloudy and take photos of it, which was first done in 1919.

I really don't know whether the incidence of cracked glass (not just chips) is higher in the Palisade. I am relying on what others have said on this forum. I have my own suspicions, but I could be wrong. I was just explaining that if there is a problem with the Palisade, there may be other factors to consider besides just the glass (such as the mounting and the rigidity of the roof around the glass). But I could wrong about that also, and it could be a problem with the glass. Or it could be there is no problem at all (at least compared to the average vehicle).

Yes, it is speculation that the lack of roof rigidity is a problem. But it is useful IMO to understand all the possible causes (if there is a problem), even before one knows which one is the actual cause. I have a lot of experience in software engineering, and when a computer system failure occurs, the first thing we do is come up with a list of possible causes and have people investigate each one. So we speculate about the cause, even before we have any real knowledge of where the problem is, so that all possibilities can be investigated (usually simultaneously).

saxman242

Reaction score
My theory is, if your winshield cracks Hyundai will pick up the expense, if handled properly.
Spontaneous cracks, sure, but there are a lot of people saying "I was driving and a rock hit my windshield and cracked it more than it should have, even though the rock hit me going 80 mph so I actually have no clue what it actually was and I have no actual basis to be making any claims about how glass normally cracks," and expect Hyundai to cover those.

Well, ok, they don't say the second half of that.

Last edited:

steelers

Reaction score
Spontaneous cracks, sure, but there are a lot of people saying "I was driving and a rock hit my windshield and cracked it more than it should of, even though the rock hit me going 80 mph so I actually have no clue what it actually was and I have no actual basis to be making any claims about how glass normally cracks," and expect Hyundai to cover those.

Mine cracked..dealer pointed out a chip,that developed into a crack..I called Hyundai,they blew me off. Went to safelite got it replaced.
Proceeded to write to Hyundai..a very understanding rep called me,inferred not much could be done because my ins.had paid for windshield
100%.However,I did get $200 gift card for my trouble.

SunKing

Reaction score
Spontaneous cracks, sure, but there are a lot of people saying "I was driving and a rock hit my windshield and cracked it more than it should of, even though the rock hit me going 80 mph so I actually have no clue what it actually was and I have no actual basis to be making any claims about how glass normally cracks," and expect Hyundai to cover those.

This has been my point all along. There’s a difference between one’s windshield just developing a crack for no apparent reason and a solid object projected at force into it causing a chip, crack or both. A chip may never cause a crack and a small crack is likely going to become a bigger crack sooner or later depending on too many variables to measure from case to case.

meramo

Reaction score
I've got a barely visible (under certain angles and light only) but quite wide - 20in or something crack for no apparent reason. No signs of objects hitting the windshield and I don't drive on highways at all.
Never had something like this before, all my cracks were caused by some serious rocks. Here, it just appeared because of the vibration or something looks like (
windshield is indeed a piece of crap

Popeye

Reaction score
That "is" how science works. A theory is proposed before it is proven. Einstein proposed the theory of relativity before there was any scientific experiment to support it. Later, crude measurements from photographs of light bending around gravitational forces were observed during an eclipse to support the theory.

Actually, a hypothesis is an assumption made before any research has been completed for the sake of testing. A theory on the other hand is a principle set to explain phenomena already supported by data.

raggedy1

Reaction score
If you’re windshield is cracked and shows no evidence of it being hit, I believe Hyundai might replace it for you no charge.
Any sign of a rock hit and you’re SOL

G

G-628351

There are tons of issues with windshields chipping and cracking out of the blue and worse issues if you drive in windy dust storm or areas where they use a lot of sand and salt causing pitting of the windshield like it has been sand blasted, very similar issues with the paint (all colors) being pitted, or chipping from small debris that don’t cause issues with other models, (soft paint untempered glass has been suggested)
My windshield and passenger window is cracked. I’m also noticing paint chips coming off. I’m really upset. I paid almost $50,000 for my car. Do we have options to remedy this without paying out of pocket?

Popeye

Reaction score
Passenger window? As in the window in the passenger door? That should be tempered safety glass and those don't just crack, they break into pebbles.