Easily broken/chipped/cracked windshields

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Julia

Reaction score
That’s eBay for you...
I just ordered another from US seller so hopefully it’ll come quick. The chips that I’ve had thought for about two months now haven’t developed any cracks so that’s good.
Please keep me posted, and man... That's great that they haven't gotten worse! To me that sounds pretty good for the windshield.

CEPTech

Reaction score
getting a limited in two weeks...hope wind noise issue was corrected during build alond with other concerns ex. paint and windshield
I have 2021 Caligraphy bought August 2020 and I hve the wind noise issue. The dealer adjusted a door trim on the passager side and replace the window run on the driver side, nothing has changed, the wind noise is still the same.

raggedy1

Reaction score
I have 2021 Caligraphy bought August 2020 and I hve the wind noise issue. The dealer adjusted a door trim on the passager side and replace the window run on the driver side, nothing has changed, the wind noise is still the same.
The wind noise is the same because Hyundai hasn't redesigned the part.

Have you tried the foam rope insulation fix that is discussed in other threads. By using 3/8" and 1/4" foam rope insulation, I have completely cured my car of the wind noise problems. No more wind whistle. No more extra wind noise when hit with a cross wind. No need to drive in "Recirc" mode to prevent any wind whistles.

SunKing

Reaction score
Please keep me posted, and man... That's great that they haven't gotten worse! To me that sounds pretty good for the windshield.
So I finally got this kit. I’ve used similar ones several times with good results. I prefer this type with the syringe that creates a vacuum to suck the air from the resin. It was hard to get a good photo of these two crater/divots.

Attachments

• 559F74FB-48A8-4522-93F6-4D6958FB356C.jpeg
    559F74FB-48A8-4522-93F6-4D6958FB356C.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 19BA2D1A-4FA8-4CF0-8F13-4C10E7260A62.jpeg
    19BA2D1A-4FA8-4CF0-8F13-4C10E7260A62.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 13
  • 447A8716-F995-4270-8CB9-DF708C1B1955.jpeg
    447A8716-F995-4270-8CB9-DF708C1B1955.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 13

SunKing

Reaction score
This is basically how you use it. Put the self adhesive ring on windshield, remove tape from top of ring, mount the piece you pour resin into, stick syringe on and then draw it up until the spring clamp catches the notch. The last pic is from inside car showing how vacuum pulls air bubbles out.

Attachments

• 36540339-E42C-46E4-A9B0-2AB7A60D8215.jpeg
    36540339-E42C-46E4-A9B0-2AB7A60D8215.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 1362DCD1-8289-46DF-A2D2-AB9D960C9BBB.jpeg
    1362DCD1-8289-46DF-A2D2-AB9D960C9BBB.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 7
  • C6B0B9A3-E66F-46D7-9E8D-293E08CCE5F7.jpeg
    C6B0B9A3-E66F-46D7-9E8D-293E08CCE5F7.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 48775BC2-F6A5-4FE1-8FCF-3B020877995C.jpeg
    48775BC2-F6A5-4FE1-8FCF-3B020877995C.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 7

SunKing

Reaction score
After that part is done you remove it and then drop some of the remaining resin directly onto windshield and cover with this piece of film. You then move vehicle into direct sunlight so the UV rays harden the resin for 15 minutes or so. After that you just use the included razor blade to peel film off then scrape away excess resin. the whole process is easy and just takes time and a shady spot. I believe the first part with syringe and resin is 10 minutes, then you remove syringe to release air, stick it back in and draw it to the next notch setting and sit another 20 minutes. The resin and film part at the end is mostly optional depending on defect you’re correcting and that’s another 15 minutes if you’ve got good sunlight. The last pic is when it was done and it was extremely hard to take a photo of it. I must’ve tried 20 times both inside garage and outside. You can still see the marks (you pretty much always can) but they’re much less noticeable and, more importantly, they’re filled. Anywho....hopefully this helps anyone who has smalls glass defects and wants to take care of them diy so they don’t get worse and, or make you want to replace the glass.

Attachments

• C6A0D507-C256-4F3C-91F4-9F67F24173A8.jpeg
    C6A0D507-C256-4F3C-91F4-9F67F24173A8.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 8D1A7780-1371-45AA-B7A9-713A2B94EB50.jpeg
    8D1A7780-1371-45AA-B7A9-713A2B94EB50.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 8

Julia

Reaction score
After that part is done you remove it and then drop some of the remaining resin directly onto windshield and cover with this piece of film. You then move vehicle into direct sunlight so the UV rays harden the resin for 15 minutes or so. After that you just use the included razor blade to peel film off then scrape away excess resin. the whole process is easy and just takes time and a shady spot. I believe the first part with syringe and resin is 10 minutes, then you remove syringe to release air, stick it back in and draw it to the next notch setting and sit another 20 minutes. The resin and film part at the end is mostly optional depending on defect you’re correcting and that’s another 15 minutes if you’ve got good sunlight. The last pic is when it was done and it was extremely hard to take a photo of it. I must’ve tried 20 times both inside garage and outside. You can still see the marks (you pretty much always can) but they’re much less noticeable and, more importantly, they’re filled. Anywho....hopefully this helps anyone who has smalls glass defects and wants to take care of them diy so they don’t get worse and, or make you want to replace the glass.
Thanks so much for taking the time to show us this, SunKing! Did you get any after pics 😉😜🤣! Obviously kidding! Seriously, great job and you should be good to go! Amazing they didn't get worse in, what--2 months?!

Again, thanks so much for these posts!

SunKing

Reaction score
Thanks so much for taking the time to show us this, SunKing! Did you get any after pics 😉😜🤣! Obviously kidding! Seriously, great job and you should be good to go! Amazing they didn't get worse in, what--2 months?!

Again, thanks so much for these posts!
You’re welcome. Hopefully I won’t catch anymore road nuggets for a while lol.

TomM

Reaction score
I would like to gather as many easily broken/chipped/cracked windshield complaints as possible. Please post as many details as possible.
We picked up our Palisade in Feb 2020 and on the way home on an Interstate Highway a rocked cracked our windshield. The repair service said this windshield was so new that they didn't think they could get a replacement. Ultimately a replacement was found and repairs were made.

Alan_F

Reaction score
We picked up our Palisade in Feb 2020 and on the way home on an Interstate Highway a rocked cracked our windshield. The repair service said this windshield was so new that they didn't think they could get a replacement. Ultimately a replacement was found and repairs were made.
Was it repaired by Hyundai under warranty?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Alan_F

Reaction score
not likely this would be an insurance claim.
I didn't say it was an insurance claim, but was wondering if it was a Hyundai warranty repair. The poster only mentioned a "repair service" which could be paid for by a Hyundai warranty claim, owner insurance claim, or owner paid for the repair out of pocket.

However, I am not sure why it could not be an insurance claim, as it would be covered under most "comprehensive" policies as a road hazard. The only issue is the deductible, but some insurance companies offer a special windshield insurance option that doesn't have a deductible, even if all other hazards do have one (obviously this feature costs more).

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
I didn't say it was an insurance claim, but was wondering if it was a Hyundai warranty repair. The poster only mentioned a "repair service" which could be paid for by a Hyundai warranty claim, owner insurance claim, or owner paid for the repair out of pocket.

However, I am not sure why it could not be an insurance claim, as it would be covered under most "comprehensive" policies as a road hazard. The only issue is the deductible, but some insurance companies offer a special windshield insurance option that doesn't have a deductible, even if all other hazards do have one (obviously this feature costs more).
The question was “was it covered under warranty”

my response was “not likely”

warranty doesn’t cover damage if this nature.. maybe Hyundai might allow it knowing there appears to be some problem with it, seeing as a lot of people are complaining about it,

but I spent 20+ years in the industry, as an ASE tech, and at corporate levels for Chrysler and GM, and can’t ever recall warranty covering windshield damage, tire damage, rock chips in the fascia, or anything else wear and road hazard related. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but it would be very rare if it did.

My insurance covers 2 windshield replacements with no deductible per year, per car. I’ve had this type of issue with GM trucks and a Camaro as well as my 1939 Ford Tudor, mostly because of truck drivers that don’t cover dirt loads and then get on the highway and have sand and rocks sandblasting all the cars on the road.

I opted for the upgraded coverage as a result to be sure I am not spending thousands a year on windshields because of idiot semi-truck drivers that don’t cover their dirt loads

Alan_F

Reaction score
The question was “was it covered under warranty”

my response was “not likely”

warranty doesn’t cover damage if this nature.. maybe Hyundai might allow it knowing there appears to be some problem with it, seeing as a lot of people are complaining about it,

but I spent 20+ years in the industry, as an ASE tech, and at corporate levels for Chrysler and GM, and can’t ever recall warranty covering windshield damage, tire damage, rock chips in the fascia, or anything else wear and road hazard related. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but it would be very rare if it did.

My insurance covers 2 windshield replacements with no deductible per year, per car. I’ve had this type of issue with GM trucks and a Camaro as well as my 1939 Ford Tudor, mostly because of truck drivers that don’t cover dirt loads and then get on the highway and have sand and rocks sandblasting all the cars on the road.

I opted for the upgraded coverage as a result to be sure I am not spending thousands a year on windshields because of idiot semi-truck drivers that don’t cover their dirt loads
You response was "not likely this would be an insurance claim."

I apparently misinterpreted what you meant. I guess you meant: "Not likely. This would be an insurance claim."

There are some people who have had their windshields replaced under the Hyundai warranty, but they appear to be in the minority. Apparently Kia is replacing a larger number of them under warranty, as it also seems to be common on the Telluride.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
You response was "not likely this would be an insurance claim."

I apparently misinterpreted what you meant. I guess you meant: "Not likely. This would be an insurance claim."

There are some people who have had their windshields replaced under the Hyundai warranty, but they appear to be in the minority. Apparently Kia is replacing a larger number of them under warranty, as it also seems to be common on the Telluride.
yeah posting from a smart phone, missed a comma sorry..