Easily broken/chipped/cracked windshields

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

pfroo40

Reaction score
Mine got a quarter-sized chip on my first road trip from a rock kicked up by a semi at about 80mph. Sounded like a good sized rock so unsurprising it chipped.

I later had it shatter in a corner when a piece of drywall fell on it in my garage during a really bad wind storm. I've since had it replaced and no chips on the new one yet.

Palitroke

Reaction score
Right in the middle of windshield not even 70MPH don't even behind semi just small sedan and Bullseye appears this windshields are made of sugar glass! Don't know how DOT approved this windshields they will not withstand a real crash pieces will be flying inside cabin creating a lot of damage to passengers inside the car...

steelers

Reaction score
Right in the middle of windshield not even 70MPH don't even behind semi just small sedan and Bullseye appears this windshields are made of sugar glass! Don't know how DOT approved this windshields they will not withstand a real crash pieces will be flying inside cabin creating a lot of damage to passengers inside the car...
If you handle this the way I explained. HYUNDAI more than likely will cover it

rsbenedict

Reaction score
My 2020 Honda Pilot had similar issues. Rarely, if ever have I gotten a chip or a crack in 34 years of driving, but got two in the first year with the Honda Pilot. The first one was within a month of ownership. :(

Alan_F

Reaction score
My 2020 Honda Pilot had similar issues. Rarely, if ever have I gotten a chip or a crack in 34 years of driving, but got two in the first year with the Honda Pilot. The first one was within a month of ownership. :(
Many newer vehicles are using sound-absorbing glass to make the interior quieter, and that seems to be the source of the problem. The OEM glass used in the Palisade is made by the largest auto glass manufacturer in the world, and is used by many other manufacturers besides Hyundai.

Here is one interesting article from an auto journalist about the glass problems he encountered when testing a 2020 Hyundai Sonata.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I think there are TWO problems. The main one is they're making windshields (and side grass too) ever so thin, to save both money and weight. And the other problem is glass is super soft as well, so it pits and chips super easily as well. Hope not to have issues with the cracking on mine.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

saxman242

Reaction score
The main one is they're making windshields (and side grass too) ever so thin
I'm still yet to see anyone actually take a measurement to substantiate that claim. I've seen it reported over and over on the forums as people thinking that must be the reason, but never actually going and measuring it compared to any other vehicle.

Alan_F

Reaction score
I'm still yet to see anyone actually take a measurement to substantiate that claim. I've seen it reported over and over on the forums as people thinking that must be the reason, but never actually going and measuring it compared to any other vehicle.
I kind of doubt that the total thickness is thinner, but the way the sound-absorbing glass is made (with two thin sheets of glass glued to together) might have something to do with it.

saxman242

Reaction score
the way the sound-absorbing glass is made (with two thin sheets of glass glued to together) might have something to do with it.
Sure, such a thing may be possible. I'm just saying that wild speculation doesn't do any good without at least something to support the theory.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I'm still yet to see anyone actually take a measurement to substantiate that claim.
Why don't take it yourself, if you're so skeptical :)? You can't measure it, like you can a side glass man. But what other proof do you need when windshields from basically all manufactures keep cracking much more often than in the past? I have zero doubt they're thinner, and/or softer; just don't how much. But it doesn't take much reduction to make it less robust. And it's either that, or the car is crap, and can twist like a pretzel, breaking the glass. Take your pick :).
I kind of doubt that the total thickness is thinner, but the way the sound-absorbing glass is made (with two thin sheets of glass glued to together) might have something to do with it.
Absolutely. Make the glass thinner, and the middle membrane thicker, and you have a better sound insulated glass, and cheaper :). The sheets of glass are pretty thin already, so we're not talking millimeters here, but a fraction. And as I mentioned above, it could be thinner, or just softer. But it's obvious they break/chip/pit much easier than in the past, at least in my experience.

saxman242

Reaction score
Why don't take it yourself, if you're so skeptical
I'd measure the side glass, but I sold my Palisade a couple weeks ago. Obviously the front glass is harder to measure, but the same claim about thickness gets made regarding the side windows all the time as well.

There are numerous reasons why windows may be cracking that don't involve it being thinner. Could be difference in material, could be a different annealing process for the sound damping, could be changes in road debris, could be that rates of cracking aren't actually any higher but they're talked about more because of the prevalence of forums and the costs to repair, etc.

Julia

Reaction score
I'd measure the side glass, but I sold my Palisade a couple weeks ago. Obviously the front glass is harder to measure, but the same claim about thickness gets made regarding the side windows all the time as well.

There are numerous reasons why windows may be cracking that don't involve it being thinner. Could be difference in material, could be a different annealing process for the sound damping, could be changes in road debris, could be that rates of cracking aren't actually any higher but they're talked about more because of the prevalence of forums and the costs to repair, etc.
Off topic, but what did you replace it with? Knock on wood, mine is still great.

saxman242

Reaction score
Off topic, but what did you replace it with? Knock on wood, mine is still great.
Audi E-tron. My palisade was great and I'd definitely consider one again, but carvana offered me way too much money to buy out my lease and I got a great deal on the e-tron, so I ended up pocketing several thousand and am saving a few hundred a month.

steelers

Reaction score
I think there are TWO problems. The main one is they're making windshields (and side grass too) ever so thin, to save both money and weight. And the other problem is glass is super soft as well, so it pits and chips super easily as well. Hope not to have issues with the cracking on mine.
Agree

SunKing

Reaction score
Audi E-tron. My palisade was great and I'd definitely consider one again, but carvana offered me way too much money to buy out my lease and I got a great deal on the e-tron, so I ended up pocketing several thousand and am saving a few hundred a month.
Yea now is the time to buy those leases out. Used car prices are skyrocketing.

saxman242

Reaction score
Yea now is the time to buy those leases out. Used car prices are skyrocketing.
Unfortunately for most, new vehicle prices are skyrocketing too, so unless you're able to line up an abnormally good deal, most of any equity just gets dissolved into the replacement.

My_Best_Pal

Reaction score
My Palisade
'21 Limited FWD - Burgundy
Well, add me to the windshield list unfortunately. At just under a month and 1500 miles I noticed a small divot in the windshield on the passenger side. I stopped driving it until today when Safelite came to make a repair. Despite the tech's best efforts, the chip turned into a crack which I measured at 37mm across. If it spreads, the only option is new glass. That is a complete hassle and there is no guarantee that it can't or won't happen again. Really disappointed in this one aspect of Palisade ownership. Heck, I had an actual LUG NUT come off a car in front of me and hit my '04 Nissan Altima windshield many years ago and it barely left a scratch.