Easily broken/chipped/cracked windshields

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

elp_jc

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I'm bracing for that outcome where I live, since the roads are full of crap, and it's always windy. Already have a lot of rock chips everywhere, and SUV just passed 1,800 miles. Also added $0 glass deductible to my policy, since these SUVs not only have windshield issues, but 'exploding' moon-roofs too.

Finally, just wanted to make you aware that somebody posted aftermarket glass is available for Palisades, even those with HUD and LDW/rain-sensing windshields, but not sure those would be any better than stock. I'd like to know, in case it happens to me. Or better put, when it happens to me. Ha ha. Good luck.

joeyfine

Reaction score
My Palisade
2020 Limited.
So I am now at 10,000 miles and on my 3rd windshield. I moved my deductible to 0 so i can afford to replace them. What a joke. I love almost everything about this SUV but how can it be possible that I have 3 windshields in less than a year? I am not doing anything different than any other car I've owned.

Last edited:
G

G-777723

Nope, No Chipped Windshield after 8 months on my 2021. I was waiting , I added Glass coverage to my plan after reading all the the previous horror stories like the ones above, but starting to think that I should drop the extra glass coverage? to be fair, the Palisade sees limited Highway miles, that is where stones are a flying due to construction companies, landscapers not securing dirt and rocks from their loads.

My_Best_Pal

Reaction score
My Palisade
'21 Limited FWD - Burgundy
So I am now at 10,000 miles and on my 3rd windshield. I moved my deductible to 0 so i can afford to replace them. What a joke. I love almost everything about this SUV but how can it be possible that I have 3 windshields in less than a year? I am not doing anything different than any other car I've owned.
I think it's fairly obvious that the way Hyundai spec'd out these windshields might meet Federal guidelines but definitely makes them highly susceptible to breakage. Either by using thinner glass to save weight or a lower surface hardness to cut cost. Either way, I lay the blame for this squarely at Hyundai's feet.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Nope, No Chipped Windshield after 8 months on my 2021. I was waiting , I added Glass coverage to my plan after reading all the the previous horror stories like the ones above, but starting to think that I should drop the extra glass coverage? to be fair, the Palisade sees limited Highway miles, that is where stones are a flying due to construction companies, landscapers not securing dirt and rocks from their loads.
What trim level do you have?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

elp_jc

Reaction score
I don't think it matters; glass should be the same in all trims, including the double-pane front windows. Well, the windshield on top trims might have an extra reflective material to reflect HUD info, but it should have the same specs. My guess is also cost cutting.

Alan_F

Reaction score
I don't think it matters; glass should be the same in all trims, including the double-pane front windows. Well, the windshield on top trims might have an extra reflective material to reflect HUD info, but it should have the same specs. My guess is also cost cutting.
There is a theory that the higher trim levels with the panoramic sunroof have a less stiff roof structure, which when the roof flexes puts too much pressure on the windshield, so that even a small chip or crack quickly becomes large enough to need the windshield replaced. If the windshield specification is too thin, it is probably to save weight.

There actually are three different OEM windshields for the Palisade (2020 part numbers shown):
  • Part Number: 86111-S8090 without head up display, without auto defog. MSRP $711.00
  • Part Number: 86111-S8100 without head up display, with auto defog. MSRP $792.52
  • Part Number: 86111-S8110 with head up display, with auto defog. MSRP $1,419.90
I have no idea if the heads up display or auto defog is the problem, but Hyundai has used those features on other vehicles without this many reported windshield problems. Supposedly, the Kia Telluride has similar windshield problems.

According to the logo on the glass, the windshields are made by a division of Saint Gobain, the largest glass manufacturer in the world.

SunKing

Reaction score
I think it's fairly obvious that the way Hyundai spec'd out these windshields might meet Federal guidelines but definitely makes them highly susceptible to breakage. Either by using thinner glass to save weight or a lower surface hardness to cut cost. Either way, I lay the blame for this squarely at Hyundai's feet.
Speculation. I’ve seen no data to suggest either claim is valid. I’m sure that most people on this forum, an extremely small sample of all owners, and many thousands of other Palisade owners in the US and other countries have not experienced a windshield related problem.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Speculation. I’ve seen no data to suggest either claim is valid. I’m sure that most people on this forum, an extremely small sample of all owners, and many thousands of other Palisade owners in the US and other countries have not experienced a windshield related problem.
It's not just people on this forum, and even happened to an auto reviewer during a test drive.

SunKing

Reaction score
It's not just people on this forum, and even happened to an auto reviewer during a test drive.

Just the same stuff. A small section of owners. If someone feels they have an issue jump on that class action suit. Even the CNET article says they took a rock to the windshield. It wouldn’t be hard for someone to buy an oem windshield and have it tested.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Just the same stuff. A small section of owners. If someone feels they have an issue jump on that class action suit. Even the CNET article says they took a rock to the windshield. It wouldn’t be hard for someone to buy an oem windshield and have it tested.
Do you know of any other manufacturers (besides maybe Kia who has the same problem) who has a class-action lawsuit against them regarding windshield cracking?

Buying a windshield and having it tested is a good idea, and I am sure the lawyers will consider that. But the problem could also be relating to the mounting or lack of rigidity on the roof, or any combination of the above. I am sure that the lawyers will have to come up with some analysis and/or statistical evidence that shows that Palisade windshields crack far more often than normal if they expect to win the case.

My_Best_Pal

Reaction score
My Palisade
'21 Limited FWD - Burgundy
Well, the empirical evidence suggests there is something afoot. How many of those thousands of owners actively seek out forums to gain insight and knowledge? How many buy a car they like, drive it and never question anything that happens to it? Hyundai certainly isn't going to dig too deeply into it. Their boilerplate answer of "the windshields meet required specifications" stinks. When's the last time we heard an auto manufacturer deny anything was wrong?

I've owned and driven quite a few vehicles. I'm sure that road debris has hit the windshield in every single one of them. This Palisade is the only vehicle that turns a simple stone chip into a full windshield replacement. Even the Safelite repair I had done caused the chip to expand to a crack that will probably now spread. The owners experiencing this issue aren't outliers. We are just the first wave of victims. Hyundai has a few directions to go in: Deny, Deny, Deny or quietly make a specification change to be applied to later models. Neither of which benefits the early-adopters.

SunKing

Reaction score
If this is your only vehicle you’ve ever had to replace a windshield in you’re doing well lol. It happens. I’ve replaced a few. But I’ve had my Palisade over a year and had lots of stuff smack the windshield and I’ve not replaced.
People complain about problems. This is one thread with a handful of people who’ve had to replace windshields. If there’s a problem then great, it’ll have to be addressed. Hyundai sold almost 82,000 Palisades in 2020 and almost 38,000 from January to May of this year. That’s in the US. How many of these buyers experienced a windshield issue? How many of these buyers experienced a crack or other damage to their windshield due to just plain road hazard? At the end of the day windshields are glass, not titanium. Rocks, bolts, wood, whatever striking them at speed can and often do cause chips and, or cracks.

Alan_F

Reaction score
If this is your only vehicle you’ve ever had to replace a windshield in you’re doing well lol. It happens. I’ve replaced a few. But I’ve had my Palisade over a year and had lots of stuff smack the windshield and I’ve not replaced.
People complain about problems. This is one thread with a handful of people who’ve had to replace windshields. If there’s a problem then great, it’ll have to be addressed. Hyundai sold almost 82,000 Palisades in 2020 and almost 38,000 from January to May of this year. That’s in the US. How many of these buyers experienced a windshield issue? How many of these buyers experienced a crack or other damage to their windshield due to just plain road hazard? At the end of the day windshields are glass, not titanium. Rocks, bolts, wood, whatever striking them at speed can and often do cause chips and, or cracks.
I believe that you have an SEL Plus, which uses a different windshield than the higher trim models. Also, you don't have the panoramic sunroof so your roof is stiffer. We will find out when the class action suit is adjudicated as to whether they have any statistical evidence that the Palisade windshield problem is higher than average.

steelers

Reaction score
Safelite..replaced mine..as I explained previously...the manager told me...he feels there is an issue with my windshield and had to replace
many...just like mine...tiny chip that could not be see until crack developed..

SunKing

Reaction score
I believe that you have an SEL Plus, which uses a different windshield than the higher trim models. Also, you don't have the panoramic sunroof so your roof is stiffer. We will find out when the class action suit is adjudicated as to whether they have any statistical evidence that the Palisade windshield problem is higher than average.
You buy yourself a Palisade yet Alan?

Eric2203

Reaction score
Do you know of any other manufacturers (besides maybe Kia who has the same problem) who has a class-action lawsuit against them regarding windshield cracking?
Subaru: Home | Khona, et al. v. Subaru of America, Inc.
Honda: Framing Defect Causes CR-V Windshield to Crack Spontaneously
Mercedes: Mercedes-Benz Cracked Windshield – Class Action Investigation – Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith LLP
Mini: Legal notice about windshield failures - North American Motoring

I’m sure there are more.

Alan_F

Reaction score
  • The Subaru case is for certain 2015 and 2016 Subaru Outback and Legacy vehicles and had its first court hearing today (6/11/2021). No mention of what happened at the hearing on that website yet.
  • The Honda case was settled out of court for the original plaintiff, so the cased class-action case was dismissed (Honda paid up, but did not admit fault). I would assume that means that not very many others had that problem or that Honda settled with those who had joined the case up to that point.
  • The Mercedes case for certain 2014-2020 vehicles is in investigation stage only by a law firm, and no lawsuit has been filed. That basically means that they are trying to find out how many others had that problem.
  • The Mini-Cooper case was for certain 2002-2006 vehicles. There was no specification of what happened in that case in that linked thread from 2012, but one poster said that "A friend had a 2002 MINI back in the first few years, and had so many windshields replaced due to stress cracks that he returned the car under the Lemon Law." But others with later year models said they didn't have a problem so apparently Mini-Cooper fixed the problem at some point.
The above list covers a large number of years and vehicles going back to 2002. Problems with windshields are not surprising, since there are only a few major auto glass manufacturers, and moon roofs are very common these days. We will have to see what happens with the Hyundai class action lawsuit. They won't get everyone who had a windshield problem to join the suit, because those with good windshield insurance coverage (no deductible) probably don't care.

Alan_F

Reaction score
You buy yourself a Palisade yet Alan?
You know the answer to that, which I have answered about 5 times. Even you admitted in another thread that this is not a good time to buy a car. I drove less than 1000 miles in the last 12 months, and don't expect to drive more than 2000 miles this year so I am no hurry. I will be looking closely at the 2022 models.

I don't understand why you are changing the subject. This thread is about windshield problems (I didn't start the thread), not who owns a Palisade or who doesn't.