Easily broken/chipped/cracked windshields

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

hykren

Reaction score
My Palisade is about to be delivered tomorrow and I saw this. Is there a way to protect this like a cellphone screen protector?

joeyfine

Reaction score
My Palisade is about to be delivered tomorrow and I saw this. Is there a way to protect this like a cellphone screen protector?
Mine split sitting in the driveway. not sure what can be done. My understanding is the windshield is very stressed already.

RedStarTX

Reaction score
Not good! I really want them to follow Kia's lead and cover these! This, sadly, may be my last Hyundai.
Kia wound up correcting their windshields? Or covering the replacements?
I had a ceramic UV film installed on the inside to protect my leather and reduce heat. I'd want that to be covered, at least initially.

Julia

Reaction score
Kia wound up correcting their windshields? Or covering the replacements?
I had a ceramic UV film installed on the inside to protect my leather and reduce heat. I'd want that to be covered, at least initially.
As I understand, Kia hasn't made any improvements with their windshields but is covering replacements when breakage is unknown (not an event that would normally result in breakage like a rock, wreck, etc,). I don't know about covering of aftermarket products such as your ceramic coating, I would think they wouldn't cover that--but obviously I don't know. In THAT event, I could see maybe your insurance company covering the coating. It would be worth a shot to ask them though.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

steelers

Reaction score
So I found a fix for future windshield problems. I moved my deductible to $0 at a cost of $160 a year. now every time my windshield breaks it wont cost me anything until Allstate cancels my policy :)
This should not be neccessary. Contact Hyundai,explain what you did and why you did it.Would love to see their response.

Julia

Reaction score
So I found a fix for future windshield problems. I moved my deductible to $0 at a cost of $160 a year. now every time my windshield breaks it wont cost me anything until Allstate cancels my policy :)
I have the 0 deductible on comp, and am with State Farm. I was told that what may eventually happen with too many claims is that they'll raise my deductible, so I wouldn't think you'd be cancelled. Hopefully if there are a ridiculous amount of replacements, Hyundai will start standing behind their windshields as Kia is now doing.

RedStarTX

Reaction score
We shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for a faulty glass. I'm going to call and email. Put it in writing. And file on the NTSB website as a complaint. I've had pebbles hit my windshields before but they've never, ever started a runner across the glass.

Popeye

Reaction score
I might just check out Geico. We have 2 cars, a boat, an RV and 2 houses through USAA so I need to gather my documents to be able to adequately compare overall prices.

Gene

Reaction score
Let us know how you make out with Geico.
I'm 100% service connected disabled, but believe they give all veterans a discount.
Geico does the insurance for the auto, But they pair with travelers for our home policy

Alan_F

Reaction score
Back order until when? If the windshield has not been changed for the 2021 model,one would think there would be no shortage.
They have to be imported by Hyundai Motor America from Korea. Whether there is a shortage in Korea depends on the window manufacturer and how many spares they have over and above new car production requirements. Hyundai in Korea is not going to slow down new car production in Korea by siphoning needed parts in short supply to HMA for replacements.

Alan_F

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you who have had a broken window: have you had it happen again? If you had one break, do they replace it with a better window and then you're set, or do you end up in an endless loop of broken windows? We were discussing whether we should wait for the 2021s in the hopes that the window problem has been fixed or if we should jump on one of the deals on a 2020 and figure we'll have to replace the windshield one time.
There are two things that could be causing the windshield problems.

1. The glass is not strong enough to withstand relatively small flying rocks (compared to most other windshields, since almost all windshields are susceptible to rocks to some degree unless they are bullet-proof).

2. There is not enough structural rigidity or space in the vehicle frame around the windshield, which causes twisting during driving, and puts stress on the glass, causing premature glass failure. This is a common problem for sunroofs and why you often hear about exploding sun-roofs.

In the case of the Palisade, based on the complaints I have seen, it appears to be a combination of both issues.

Neither Hyundai nor Kia manufacturer the windshields. They are made by a French company called Saint-Gobain Sekurit with manufacturing plants around the world, which is part a larger company called Saint-Gobain that makes all kinds of industrial and construction products. So Hyundai does not have complete control of the windshield manufacturing, and they may have signed a long term contract (several years) to supply the Palisade auto glass, and Hyundai might not be able to effect any changes to the glass specifications any time soon (but I don't really know).

But if there is a problem with the structural rigidity of the frame surrounding the windshield (or a problem with the windshield installation at the factory, such as not leaving enough room at the edges of frame for some flex), then Hyundai does have more direct control over that.

Julia

Reaction score
Let us know how you make out with Geico.
I'm 100% service connected disabled, but believe they give all veterans a discount.
Geico does the insurance for the auto, But they pair with travelers for our home policy
I'm sorry to hear about your being disabled, and thank you so much for your service, Gene! You put things in perspective when I'm bummed over a door job...

Gene

Reaction score
I look at it like this. , when I think about all those who have lost everything with this covid-19,I'm lucky. Not going to complain about little things when it could be so much worse.