FCA system disabled, radar blocked

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Larryg

Reaction score
so have had the car since March, had one other technological issue which service took care of...forgot what it was....but just got this yesterday. "Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA) system disabled. Radar blocked. Anyone have any hints?

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
My Palisade
2020 Palisade Limited
so have had the car since March, had one other technological issue which service took care of...forgot what it was....but just got this yesterday. "Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA) system disabled. Radar blocked. Anyone have any hints?
Clean off the front radar sensor. Presumably it was covered by snow/slush/etc?

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
FCA isn't the bumper sensor, it is the camera in the windshield behind the mirror. several people have complained about same issue on this forum and it required replacing the camera.

FYI windshield coatings like RainX will interfere with the FCA and LKA camera.

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
My Palisade
2020 Palisade Limited
FCA isn't the bumper sensor, it is the camera in the windshield behind the mirror.
Radar (the front lower bumper sensor, one of the easiest things to have blocked in inclement weather) is one of the components of the FCA system.

From the manual: The Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) system is designed to help detect and monitor the vehicle ahead or help detect a pedestrian in the roadway through radar signals and camera recognition to warn the driver that a collision is imminent, and if necessary, apply emergency braking.

Larryg

Reaction score
Thanks for all you input. I'll check both the camera and sensor. What doesn't make sense to me however how or why this would start in the middle of driving. I could almost understand when parked, we have a lot of snow and when starting the cart I would get the message. But after driving about 10-15 minutes it first pops up makes no sense. FWIW, the message did stop popping up after 2 days

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
Thanks for all you input. I'll check both the camera and sensor. What doesn't make sense to me however how or why this would start in the middle of driving. I could almost understand when parked, we have a lot of snow and when starting the cart I would get the message. But after driving about 10-15 minutes it first pops up makes no sense. FWIW, the message did stop popping up after 2 days
maybe a plastic bag or other trash that covered the sensor, so much debris on the roads who knows.

Gene

Reaction score
Did you have snow or ice blocking the top center of the windshield?
Where the wipers don't wipe in center.

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
My Palisade
2020 Palisade Limited
It definitely makes sense. If there is snow and slush on the road, a little bit of driving is just enough to coat the front of your car enough to hinder the sensor.
Did you have snow or ice blocking the top center of the windshield?
Where the wipers don't wipe in center.
This might be something to be wary of, but isn’t the root of the problem in the OP’s case. Their error clearly stated “radar blocked.” Couldn’t get any simpler than that. Clear the radar sensor, you’re good to go. This is something that will likely come and go if you drive in snowy/slushy conditions. Not really much you can do other than clearing it off or waiting for the junk to fall off on its own.

ArtKnapp88

Reaction score
I’ve been getting that for last few months too. Car is now 14 months old. Got this photo of it today—Comes on when driving in seemingly clear conditions. Warranty issue I presume? F8DB48FA-4640-45B0-89B5-3F9733980323.jpeg

JGriff

Reaction score
Hey No using a camera when driving. Distracted driving tickets are expensive.
I'm So Scared Smiley
Laughing So Hard Smiley

love2rv

Reaction score
I really wish they would heat the sensor in the bumper or have heat come on below a certain temp and don't get why they don't do it. In Utah where I live you can drive into a storm and get it blocked by snow and slush, then drive out of the storm but not into warmer weather on dry roads again where you want cruise control to be active again. On a 300 mile drive if it was heated I can begin using it again once the storm moves or I go over the mountain pass where the snow is happening.

Our other vehicle is a Ford F350 and their sensor also needs to be heated so not just a Palisade issue for me.

Some say just pull over and clear it and yes if conditions allow but one trip it was temps around zero F and the cleaner on the gas pump islands were also frozen and I couldn't clean it off.

end of rant, it is just a minor inconvenience and no reason to get rid of the Palisade.

MrClean

Reaction score
....but just got this yesterday. "Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA) system disabled. Radar blocked. Anyone have any hints?
I received the same thing yesterday in my 2021 SEL. Weather was sunny. Car was clean. I did not have the cruise control on and I was unable to turn it on with the error. It went away after about 5 minutes. I'll continue to watch for any repeat behavior and take it to the dealership if it happens again.

Sheris7

Reaction score
We’ve had the same thing happen. Usually when driving in the snow.

MrClean

Reaction score
What was the outcome?
We did go in on April 15. They kept it overnight. They ordered the part and getting a future appointment at Sacramento Hyundai takes a long time. At first they found no stored error messages and couldn't duplicate it. Even though it happens to us all the time. I told the service advisor to drive in on the highway and I sent them the picture I took of the error. The message did pop up for them while driving on the highway. Slightly odd since we also get it driving on side streets. Still don't know why the error didn't store in the computer. I also don't know if they actually could tell something was wrong but according to the service advisor troubleshooting guidelines say to replace the front camera. That is happening tomorrow.

Thanks for asking about this. I'll try to remember to come back and post the results after a few days of driving.

Bob