Heads up display and sunglasses

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

Rixretired

Reaction score
I drove my wife’s new Palisade Limited for the first time today. I put my sunglasses on and the heads up display disappears. I take off my sunglasses and it reappeared. Great, so I try a cheap pair of non polarized glasses and it works fine. My Maui Jim sunglasses are just fine with my Corvette heads up display, but Hyundai did something that is different from a GM display. Any thoughts?

SunKing

Reaction score
I drove my wife’s new Palisade Limited for the first time today. I put my sunglasses on and the heads up display disappears. I take off my sunglasses and it reappeared. Great, so I try a cheap pair of non polarized glasses and it works fine. My Maui Jim sunglasses are just fine with my Corvette heads up display, but Hyundai did something that is different from a GM display. Any thoughts?
I don’t have it, but others have had some comments about it and polarized eyewear. I’ve had HUD in a couple vehicles and it seemed to work fine, but I guess Hyundai must’ve done something a bit off with this application.

love2rv

Reaction score
This is the only car we have owned with a HUD so I can't reference anything else but I have the same issue with polarized sunglasses. My solution was to get some cheap sunglasses for driving this car. I also have to set the seat to low as I can be to tall to see it. I wish I could aim the HUD higher.

mi0215

Reaction score
I wear polarized Oakley sunglasses and I can see the HUD very clearly however I have another Oakley Prizm isn't good as polarized one tho.
Also, you can adjust height of HUD too from the setting.

hertzdonut

Reaction score
From the manual:
It may sometimes be difficult to read
information on the head up display
in
the following situations.
- The driver is improperly positioned
in the driver's seat.
- The driver wears polarizing-filter
sunglasses.

- An object is located above the
head up display cover.
- The vehicle is driven on a wet road.
- Any improper lighting accessory is
installed inside the vehicle, or there
is incoming light from outside of
the vehicle.
- The driver wears glasses.
- The driver wears contact lenses.

When it is difficult to read the head
up display information, adjust the
head up display angle or the head up
display brightness level in the User
Settings mode. For more details,
refer to "LCD Display" in this chapter

So if you're wearing sunglasses, prescription glasses and contacts all at once...you are SOL. ;)

ARD

Reaction score
I purchased clip-on non polarized sunglasses and the HUD is very clear.
With my normal prescription sunglasses that are polarized the HUD is more difficult to see in some situations. Polarized sunglasses seem to be the norm today and you have to look a little harder to find the non-polarized versions.
I like the HUD display!

G

G-263116

Try turning the display color to White. It works with my polarized sunglasses.

elp_jc

Reaction score
The trick for me was to increase brightness to the max (20). Normally I have it at 10. It's still not crisp, like without polarized sunglasses, but perfectly legible. With the brightness at 10, I can barely see the speed, but not the other symbols, like the blind spot ones. And yes, the colored HUDs have that problem, for some reason. By the way, I tried white, and same issue, so I put it back to green, which I think it's actually a bit better than white, but pretty close.

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
My Palisade
2020 Palisade Limited
Pro tip: if you’re wearing polarized sunglasses that are limiting the appearance of the HUD, just tilt your head a little bit when you really want to see it. Boom! 😊

Alan_F

Reaction score
Pro tip: if you’re wearing polarized sunglasses that are limiting the appearance of the HUD, just tilt your head a little bit when you really want to see it. Boom! 😊
Yes, polarized lenses basically have thousands of tiny venetian blinds that are designed to block reflections and glare from a certain angle. Not all polarized sunglasses use the same angle for the "blinds" or block the same amount of reflections. If the lens is rotated, then certain reflected light may be more visible or less visible to the viewer.

Polarized filters designed for camera lenses come with a rotating bezel so that the photographer can rotate the polarized filter to select the best angle for each particular photograph and scene, but rotating a pair of glasses is obviously more difficult.