This is a private community!

Please register to see all of our content...

Register Log in

Herky jerky shifting at lower speeds?

Pharm5cs

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing herky jerky shifting when cruising at speeds between 25-50 mph?, especially on hilly terrain where the car can’t decide which gear it wants to be in. Going uphill it tries to downshift then downhill it tries to upshift all the while the tachometer bounces up and down. I understand why it’s shifting but you shouldn’t be able to feel it both in the gas pedal and in your head. It should be seamless. I feel like a bobble head sometimes.
My 2013 Santa Fe shifted as well but you couldn’t feel it, it was smooth.
This is the second issue I need to have resolved, along with the wind noise whistling problem from the drivers side window. I hope Hyundai can find solutions before I begin to regret my decision to purchase this vehicle.

ARD

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing herky jerky shifting when cruising at speeds between 25-50 mph?, especially on hilly terrain where the car can’t decide which gear it wants to be in. Going uphill it tries to downshift then downhill it tries to upshift all the while the tachometer bounces up and down. I understand why it’s shifting but you shouldn’t be able to feel it both in the gas pedal and in your head. It should be seamless. I feel like a bobble head sometimes.
My 2013 Santa Fe shifted as well but you couldn’t feel it, it was smooth.
This is the second issue I need to have resolved, along with the wind noise whistling problem from the drivers side window. I hope Hyundai can find solutions before I begin to regret my decision to purchase this vehicle.
Yes, my car did that. It was 3/4 quart low on transmission fluid. There is no TX dip stick. Your dealer needs to put it in a lift to check it.
My car was delivered 12/31/19. Had it back to the dealer on 1/2/20.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Pharm5cs

Reaction score
Yes, my car did that. It was 3/4 quart low on transmission fluid. There is no TX dip stick. Your dealer needs to put it in a lift to check it.
My car was delivered 12/31/19. Had it back to the dealer on 1/2/20.
My dealership added 3/4 quart of transmission fluid also, on my ( and your) recommendation and now the shifting is 99% better. I can still notice the shifting at lower speeds (slightly) but as I work at a Hyundai dealership, I did notice similar shifting in Genesis vehicles as well. So I'm guessing that's just the nature of the 8 speed transmission trying to get the most miles per gallon possible. I also had them reset the adaptives on the transmission and hope this will make the shifting even smoother as it learns my driving habits.