Hyundai website allows custom order through Dealer - what happens next ?

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Vpenmatsa

Reaction score
The Hyundai Build your own website allows us to custom build and order through a local dealer. But when I contacted the dealer, they are saying that they/Hyundai cannot guarantee any features or accessories I selected on the website except the Color and AWD. Also it will take 4 to 6 months. And that I/customer will be responsible for accessories like Tow hitch.

do others have similar experiences? Thanks

Alan_F

Reaction score
That is a configuration web-site, using all the available combinations of options, colors, etc. It is not used to order vehicles.

Vehicles are ordered months in advance (they are built in Korea) by the regional Hyundai Motor America distributor, based on what they think the dealers in their region will want/need. Dealers cannot order directly from the Hyundai factory. If you want a particular combination, your dealer can request from the Hyundai distributor that if one like that has already been ordered from the factory, or is already on the way, the distributor can reserve it for that requesting dealer (but no guarantees). Also, even if the dealer gets allocated a certain vehicle, there is no guarantee that they will sell it to you when they get it.

Given the current shortage of vehicles like Palisade (especially Limited and Calligraphy models), and the lead time for manufacturing and shipping from Korea, 4-6 months is not surprising unless they can find one like you want that has already been ordered from the factory and has not been promised to some other dealer. Dealers can also trade vehicles with other dealers, but that may inccur transportation costs, etc.

The distributor also adds certain "accessories" on to the vehicle at the port of entry and the dealer cannot just delete those, because they are already installed and the dealer cannot sell those items as new to someone else. Sometimes dealers can tell the Hyundai regional distributor what accessories they want on the vehicles allocated to them, but sometimes they have no choice. But you could try and tell the dealer you want a 25% discount on any accessories added by the distributor, because they are usually marked-up by about 40% (much higher than the basic vehicle that came from the factory).

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
What Alan_F said.

Hyundai does not do custom orders. Best you can do is configure and then do a dealer search for a close match. I did mine and no dealer within 500 miles in my state had a match on the color I wanted, ended up buying out of state.

steelers

Reaction score
That is a configuration web-site, using all the available combinations of options, colors, etc. It is not used to order vehicles.

Vehicles are ordered months in advance (they are built in Korea) by the regional Hyundai Motor America distributor, based on what they think the dealers in their region will want/need. Dealers cannot order directly from the Hyundai factory. If you want a particular combination, your dealer can request from the Hyundai distributor that if one like that has already been ordered from the factory, or is already on the way, the distributor can reserve it for that requesting dealer (but no guarantees). Also, even if the dealer gets allocated a certain vehicle, there is no guarantee that they will sell it to you when they get it.

Given the current shortage of vehicles like Palisade (especially Limited and Calligraphy models), and the lead time for manufacturing and shipping from Korea, 4-6 months is not surprising unless they can find one like you want that has already been ordered from the factory and has not been promised to some other dealer. Dealers can also trade vehicles with other dealers, but that may inccur transportation costs, etc.

The distributor also adds certain "accessories" on to the vehicle at the port of entry and the dealer cannot just delete those, because they are already installed and the dealer cannot sell those items as new to someone else. Sometimes dealers can tell the Hyundai regional distributor what accessories they want on the vehicles allocated to them, but sometimes they have no choice. But you could try and tell the dealer you want a 25% discount on any accessories added by the distributor, because they are usually marked-up by about 40% (much higher than the basic vehicle that came from the factory).
Have you attempted to order or buy one the way you want it ?

Alan_F

Reaction score
Have you attempted to order or buy one the way you want it ?
I am still not driving enough miles to justify buying a new car right now since my Hyundai Genesis has no issues whatsoever and only has 69K miles. I am only driving about 100 miles a month due to Pandemic.

I also qualify for Hyundai Circle Pricing, and am hoping that at some point Palisade gets included in that program (which would mean I pay about $5,300 below MSRP, not counting any other special offers). Also, there is no way in hell I am buying a Calligraphy with those 2021 wheels (will probably wait and see what 2022 model has). Also, would be nice to get verification that all the known problems have been fixed (wind, glass, smell, etc). Since I don't need third row seating, I may look at the new Santa Fe, but not a big fan of Turbo engines.

Last edited:

Domenico

Reaction score
I visited my local Hyundai dealer on Saturday. I thought I could custom order a Palisade just like a local Kia dealership let me do for the Telluride. I could not. In fact, the Hyundai dealership was somewhat confused about how KIA dealerships are able to place custom orders for customers. What Hyundai told me is the same as mentioned in this thread: a degree of chance is involved at getting the one you want. I always lose at a game of chance... until Saturday. As I said I went in to try and order a Palisade. My specifications were 2022MY, Calligraphy, Moonlight Cloud, Beige interior. Since I couldn't place and order, I test drove one they had, loved it and asked the dealer to call me if the one I want ever comes up. As I was backing out of the parking spot, the dealer runs out to my car with a sheet of paper. He said his general manager looked through upcoming deliveries and turns out the one I want, except 2021MY, is going to arrive at their location in June! I eased my way back into the parking spot and went inside. After a small deposit I will be the owner of the Palisade I wanted in a few short weeks. The only downside is that this is a 2021MY. I wanted a 2022MY in hopes that issues with the 2021MY will be addressed with the 2022MY. But then I started thinking that since this is the last production run of the '21's perhaps the issues have been addressed, such as easily broken windshields replaced and wind noise dampened. The one I test drove had wind noise but no worse than my RAV4. I also thought about other car manufacturers pulling tech in order to still build vehicles and then making the pulled tech an option if you want to pay for it. Will Hyundai be forced to follow suit with limited resources? I don't know. If so, I certainly would not be buying a 2022. So I figured I have the opportunity to get what I want now, I won the game of chance, so I best take it while I can.