Lift support strut

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

kellcut

Reaction score
Anyone have problems with their liftgate support struts? I've had the one on the drivers side replaced now it seems the one on the passenger side is going bad. The plastic seems very thin. The spring inside is breaking through and is rusted. ANyone else?

elp_jc

Reaction score
I only read of one more instance of the right strut 'exploding', but don't remember where. The right strut is a regular (pneumatic) one. The left side is the power one. Don't know exactly what's the role of the right strut, to be honest. It might help to open it, but it also makes it harder to close; that's why I'm not sure of their reason to be there, but all other cars with power trunk/lift-gate have them as well, so there must be a valid reason. At any rate, it takes literally seconds to replace, so not a big deal. I'd personally just buy it myself and replace it, to avoid having to take my car to a dealer just for that. But it should be under warranty, if you trust them more than I do :). Good luck.

kellcut

Reaction score
I only read of one more instance of the right strut 'exploding', but don't remember where. The right strut is a regular (pneumatic) one. The left side is the power one. Don't know exactly what's the role of the right strut, to be honest. It might help to open it, but it also makes it harder to close; that's why I'm not sure of their reason to be there, but all other cars with power trunk/lift-gate have them as well, so there must be a valid reason. At any rate, it takes literally seconds to replace, so not a big deal. I'd personally just buy it myself and replace it, to avoid having to take my car to a dealer just for that. But it should be under warranty, if you trust them more than I do :). Good luck.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

kellcut

Reaction score
Thank you. It bothers me a little that they are both now going to be replaced. Other than this I’ve loved the Palisade!

OTTOMAN500

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited. About 2 months ago the right (passenger) side hatch power strut starting making loud squeaking noises when opening or closing the hatch. Dealer ordered both struts about a month ago but they have not arrived yet. Both of my struts are powered.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Both of my struts are powered.
That's very interesting. On my 2021, only the left one is powered (right one much thinner, and no connectors at all), so maybe a cost-cutting measure on Hyundai's part. And maybe the right one is there in case the power operation fails, so the hatch stays open. That'd make sense of their existence. Ha ha.

SunKing

Reaction score
That's very interesting. On my 2021, only the left one is powered (right one much thinner, and no connectors at all), so maybe a cost-cutting measure on Hyundai's part. And maybe the right one is there in case the power operation fails, so the hatch stays open. That'd make sense of their existence. Ha ha.
The struts on my 20 SEL appear to be the same size (they look identical) and both have an electrical cable running into them from the vehicle. So far I’ve not had any issues with them in 12 months.

elp_jc

Reaction score
That's awesome. Mine with just 1 motor, it's obviously going to crap out sooner than yours for sure. Ha ha. My Tesla only has one too, but the Pali liftgate is much larger and heavier, so it should really have 2 IMO. My other issue with those damn things is why not put the connector right on the unit (with boot secured with a zip-tie, for a waterproof fit), so you could change it in minutes, rather than having to remove panels to get to the connector. Oh well.