Mirror wind noise fix, drag and aerodynamics

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Wingmanlz

Reaction score
Purchased Rejex polymer coating from Amazon. Used to coat side mirrors and pillars. Wind blow by is reduced greatly, worked so well I applied to entire vehicle.
This is used regularly on aircraft for decreased drag and surface protection. Plus, it's easy to use too. Just my finding. Good luck all.

saxman242

Reaction score
Purely placebo. There are no surface treatments in existence that would reduce wind noise, unless it was something like you got it all over the seals, which caused them to swell and sealed a gap better.

There are snake oil products sold to the aircraft industry claiming to make a difference, but other than making the plane easier to keep clean (all those built on cakes of mud that are large particle size are what can cause actual drag issues), they do nothing for actual drag.

Here's some test results from Boeing on the issue:

With that said, doing a ceramic coating for paint protection, shine enhancement, and making the vehicle easy to clean is a great idea, but it's not a magical cure for wind noise.

Wingmanlz

Reaction score
Purely placebo. There are no surface treatments in existence that would reduce wind noise, unless it was something like you got it all over the seals, which caused them to swell and sealed a gap better.

There are snake oil products sold to the aircraft industry claiming to make a difference, but other than making the plane easier to keep clean (all those built on cakes of mud that are large particle size are what can cause actual drag issues), they do nothing for actual drag.

With that said, doing a ceramic coating for paint protection, shine enhancement, and making the vehicle easy to clean is a great idea, but it's not a magical cure for wind noise.
Placebo? Possible. I can tell you that it greatly reduced the blow by whistle. Nothing applied to seals.

CVP33

Reaction score
I’m gonna try this right after I change out my muffler bearings and blinker fluid.

CVP33

Reaction score

Seems like a totally reasonable solution to me. Why not just try it. This could be THE fix.

Carafay

Reaction score
I took my 2020 palisade in three times tech determined it was “normal road noise” not so it’s LOUD!! It’s air whistling. Road noise comes from tires!!!
this is bull!!
thus is my 6th and LAST Hyuandi. People ask me all the time how I like it. My answer is I don’t! Then I explain why!! Very loud whistling!! I advise them not to buy

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
5 second search will show you the real fix to the mirror whistle issue.

I had the whistle and inability to securely close the windows at highway speeds from day one. put the fairings/spoilers on the corner of the window seal just like they are mounted on Lexus, Audi, Toyota, MBZ, Porsche, and dozens of other vehicles. and instantly the whistle was gone and the windows don't buckle when rolling up at highway speeds.

$10 fix. haven't had an issue since.

Alan_F

Reaction score
I took my 2020 palisade in three times tech determined it was “normal road noise” not so it’s LOUD!! It’s air whistling. Road noise comes from tires!!!
this is bull!!
thus is my 6th and LAST Hyuandi. People ask me all the time how I like it. My answer is I don’t! Then I explain why!! Very loud whistling!! I advise them not to buy
Check out this link where a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) has been posted to fix this for any Palisade assembled before January 1, 2020.

Take a copy of the TSB to the dealer and have them do it. They may need to order the parts if not in stock at your dealer. The vehicle assembly date should be on a sticker in the driver door jamb.

If this does not apply to your vehicle based on your assembly date, then read about others have done above to fix the problem.

Gene

Reaction score
I just had my Palisade serviced, oil change , etc. Getting ready for a 6500 mile trip.
They did the TSB for the wind noise. Only thing they listed was see attachment
Purchased my Palisade before Hyundai started the free oil change.
Big advantage where I purchased the Palisade, they already included 6 free oil changes,
do map updates, free hand washings for every Palisade sold, on their own.

Attachments

• SCAN0212.JPG
    SCAN0212.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 24

raggedy1

Reaction score
Gene, you didn’t have an issue with wind noise iirc

what made your dealer perform the TSB and have you noticed a difference?

Gene

Reaction score
I have never noticed wind noise, But dealership said they were doing the TSB on all the Palisades made before a certain date
Trying to prevent the noise from coming at a later date.
Almost said no but then mine is a lease so not keeping it for 10 years.

Larryg

Reaction score
bringing mine in for the "fix" Thursday. I think anyone who does should do a sound meter check from an app on their phone before and after at several speeds. Anyone notice noise is worse on a concrete highway vs asphalt?

Emsdm

Reaction score
bringing mine in for the "fix" Thursday. I think anyone who does should do a sound meter check from an app on their phone before and after at several speeds. Anyone notice noise is worse on a concrete highway vs asphalt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Alan_F

Reaction score
Gene, you didn’t have an issue with wind noise iirc

what made your dealer perform the TSB and have you noticed a difference?
For those vehicles within the production dates affected, the TSB is mandatory to be performed for any vehicle in the dealer shop for any reason. This is explained in the text of the TSB that has been posted on this forum (not sure which thread). In Hyundai terms, it is called a Service Campaign. That is different than a Recall, which requires the manufacturer to notify each owner to bring their car in to the shop.

Note that all Service Campaigns and Recalls have TSB's assigned to them, but they are not the same as a plain TSB.