This is a private community!

Please register to see all of our content...

Register Log in

Missing that 'New Car Smell'

FiveStar

Reaction score
I have heard that Americans (like me) love that 'New Car Smell' and my Palisade did not have that. I wonder what they had to do to remove it?

PaliFlash

Reaction score
That's interesting. Our car has it and has had it for the past 3 weeks. Its probably the strongest of any car I've own. Its almost too much to the extent that I've started leaving the windows down in the garage. Granted, our car was bought DIRECTLY off of the trailer when it arrived to the dealership, but still, its so strong I don't expect it to go away anytime soon. Granted, at the end of the day, new car smell is really just all the chemicals and VOC's which I cant imagine is all that great for you. But alas.
I'd be curious to hear what other owners report.

G

G-994198

That's interesting. Our car has it and has had it for the past 3 weeks. Its probably the strongest of any car I've own. Its almost too much to the extent that I've started leaving the windows down in the garage. Granted, our car was bought DIRECTLY off of the trailer when it arrived to the dealership, but still, its so strong I don't expect it to go away anytime soon. Granted, at the end of the day, new car smell is really just all the chemicals and VOC's which I cant imagine is all that great for you. But alas.
I'd be curious to hear what other owners report.
We have had our Limited since June and it still smells. We leave windows down but it is still nauseating. Not a nice leather smell. It is like a hot glue gun smell. Not sure what to do.

Planez

Reaction score
Took ours back to the dealer three days after purchase because the strong smell/stink literally made my wife and I sick to our stomachs. They have not been able to remove the smell yet. It smells like garlic was used for the glue on the headliner or something. They asked us to continue using the loaner car (a SantaFe) as they too still smell it and want to try getting rid of it. Purchasing a nearly $50,000. car and being told to "just ride with windows down" is not a solution we are willing to accept.

Last edited:

Disfam05

Reaction score
Took ours back to the dealer three days after purchase because the strong smell/stink literally made my wife and I sick to our stomachs. They have not been able to remove the smell yet. It smells like garlic was used for the glue on the headliner or something. They asked us to continue using the loaner car (a SantaFe) as they too still smell it and want to try getting rid of it. Purchasing a nearly $50,000. car and being told to "just ride with windows down" is not a solution we are willing to accept.
We had the same smell that I described the same way ‘garlic’ /pungent with our limited. Seems worse when it’s hot outside.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Stormy

Reaction score
Garlic is in many food choices in Korea. Perhaps a factory worker left his lunch somewhere in your car?

Whcanetoad

Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking of using the Florida lemon law to return our new Limited...we've had it for about 4 or 5 weeks and the smell getting in the car every morning is overwhelming...it's just unacceptable...and possibly unhealthy!

Jason Fox

Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking of using the Florida lemon law to return our new Limited...we've had it for about 4 or 5 weeks and the smell getting in the car every morning is overwhelming...it's just unacceptable...and possibly unhealthy!
I would turn heat on high and let run for an hr or so. It will speed up the off gassing

Whcanetoad

Reaction score
I would turn heat on high and let run for an hr or so. It will speed up the off gassing
I'm almost 70 yrs old and I've never heard of this "off-gassing" and I've NEVER had a new car that smelled like this - very chemical smell...what exactly is off-gassing?

Jason Fox

Reaction score
I'm almost 70 yrs old and I've never heard of this "off-gassing" and I've NEVER had a new car that smelled like this - very chemical smell...what exactly is off-gassing?
It's common in the construction industry with items such as new carpet. They have an odor due to the manufacturing process. It usually goes away over time but heat speeds that process up considerably. At least try it.

Josie

Reaction score
I had same garlic/pungent odor in my 60-day old Palisade Limited. Problem has been solved with “MOSO NATURAL Air Purifying Bag. Odor Eliminator, Odor Absorber for Cars and Closets” (bamboo charcoal) found on Amazon.