This is a private community!

Please register to see all of our content...

Register Log in

Missing that 'New Car Smell'

desertbadger

Reaction score
Purchased mine in July, 2019. Love the car and had no odor for first two weeks. Then noticed it. Generally it is in the morning and lasts only for a few minutes before going away (or we just get used to it). To us it is a chemical odor. Pungent. Can be inconsistent. Some mornings very strong and others nothing. Thought it would go away but hasn't. Taking it in for a few other routine maintenance and see what they can do/say. This forum helps to provide evidence it isn't just myself and my wife!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

rlittle03

Reaction score
We bought our limited with black interior in 10/19, same thing, interior stinks even 5 months later. I ran into a woman who bought one in 7/19, hers is a light colored interior limited she’s had the same problems and 8 months in hasnt gotten rid of the smell. This is an issue with the car Hyundai. We need a solution

steelers

Reaction score
Purchased mine in July, 2019. Love the car and had no odor for first two weeks. Then noticed it. Generally it is in the morning and lasts only for a few minutes before going away (or we just get used to it). To us it is a chemical odor. Pungent. Can be inconsistent. Some mornings very strong and others nothing. Thought it would go away but hasn't. Taking it in for a few other routine maintenance and see what they can do/say. This forum helps to provide evidence it isn't just myself and my wife!
Same as you describe..limited awd beige into. At times it really stinks....I think the air coming through the closed windows at highway speed clears it up some..lol

FFEMT6

Reaction score
Same as you describe..limited awd beige into. At times it really stinks....I think the air coming through the closed windows at highway speed clears it up some..lol
See, one person's shoddy workmanship is another's finely tuned and unorthodox ventilation system.

steelers

Reaction score
See, one person's shoddy workmanship is another's finely tuned and unorthodox ventilation system.
Lol ! That was good.... btw so glad I did not get stuck paying for the optional first aid kit ...think it was like 50 or 30 bucks..the nerve..

FFEMT6

Reaction score
Lol ! That was good.... btw so glad I did not get stuck paying for the optional first aid kit ...think it was like 50 or 30 bucks..the nerve..
Had to rub that one in, didn't you. 😛
Ours was already equipped with one, and I was told it, as well as carpeted mats, wheel locks, cargo net and cover, and bumper applique could not be negotiated out of the price. The first aid kit, though way overpriced could come in handy with 2 kids in travel sports though. It is rather well equipped for what it is.

meramo

Reaction score
Mine had quite strong rubber odor for the first week or two, caused by winter mats. Removed them for a few days installed back and it smells just fine now.
Nothing like the smell of the new BMW or Merc though.. But that's why this lifted minivan costs 20-30k less I guess :)

Tmt

Reaction score
Has your issue been resolved?

Tmt

Reaction score
Have you had any luck getting the odor out?

Tmt

Reaction score
I bought a palisade a month ago and the smell is awful. I have taken it to the dealership and they cannot smell it. It is usually first thing in the morning. They put a ionizer in it seemed to be better, but the smell is back. Has anyone had someone from Hyundai confirm the problem? Have they fixed?

rlittle03

Reaction score
if you smell an unpleasant smell its not just you and it isnt anything you have in the car. I bought a Limited Palisade with black interior in October 19. To put it in the words of the Hyundai technician “it smells like old worn socks”. The smell takes your breath away when you first open the door and i have a poor sense of smell. I met a woman with a Limited Palisade with light interior and when I mentioned this her eyes got big and threw her hands up in the air. She told me she purchased the first one the lot sold in July 2019 and had been thinking it was something she had in the car all along. She had been trying for 8 months at this point to get the smell out, but could not. She said she couldnt even park it in her garage because it made the garage stink, i had been there too!
My wife opened a ticket with Hyundai’s corporate office after taking it to the dealership twice where they order bombed it and vacuumed it to no avail. The techs told my wife they could smell what she was talking about. When corporate(Coyle) called me to tell me they were closing the ticket because (Sam) the service director said it smelled like new car smell i had them hold open the ticket. I called Sam and told him i would see him tomorrow so he could fix his error after we determine he never smelled my wife’s car. Sam opened the door in front of me and pulled back out and acknowledged that was definitely NOT a new car smell. We went back in and I had Sam call Coyle to confirm this, but of course Coyle didnt pick up. Sam and I both left voicemails, Coyle didnt call me back. Sam said he was contacting his director who would advise what they would do about this and would call me back. Sam didnt call me back either. I got home from work today and my wife tells me corporate called her and told her they were not going to do anything to fix the old sock smell in our $50,000 Hyundai and that she could take it up with the BBB. I heard Hyundai didnt have great service before, but seriously?
If your paid 50k for a Palisade that smells you need to raise the issue because this is a big deal. While dealing with Sam I smelled 2 other Limited Palisades on the lot with this same terrible smell, but came across one freshly dropped(film still on it) right next to a stinky one and no smell. Hyundai has likely fixed the issue and is trying to sweep it under the rug now to save costs.

rlittle03

Reaction score
if you smell an unpleasant smell its not just you and it isnt anything you have in the car. I bought a Limited Palisade with black interior in October 19. To put it in the words of the Hyundai technician “it smells like old worn socks”. The smell takes your breath away when you first open the door and i have a poor sense of smell. I met a woman with a Limited Palisade with light interior and when I mentioned this her eyes got big and threw her hands up in the air. She told me she purchased the first one the lot sold in July 2019 and had been thinking it was something she had in the car all along. She had been trying for 8 months at this point to get the smell out, but could not. She mentioned she couldnt even park hers in the garage because it would make the garage stink, i had been there too!
My wife opened a ticket with Hyundai’s corporate office after taking it to the dealership twice where they order bombed it and vacuumed it to no avail. The techs told my wife they could smell what she was talking about. When corporate(Coyle) called me to tell me they were closing the ticket because (Sam) the service director said it smelled like new car smell i had them hold open the ticket. I called Sam and told him i would see him tomorrow so he could fix his error after we determine he never smelled my wife’s car. Sam opened the door in front of me and pulled back out and acknowledged that was definitely NOT a new car smell. We went back in and I had Sam call Coyle to confirm this, but of course Coyle didnt pick up. Sam and I both left voicemails, Coyle didnt call me back. Sam said he was contacting his director who would advise what they would do about this and would call me back. Sam didnt call me back either. I got home from work today and my wife tells me corporate called her and told her they were not going to do anything to fix the old sock smell in our $50,000 Hyundai and that she could take it up with the BBB. I heard Hyundai didnt have great service before, but seriously?
If your paid 50k for a Palisade that smells you need to raise the issue because this is a big deal. While dealing with Sam I smelled 2 other Limited Palisades on the lot with this same terrible smell, but came across one freshly dropped(film still on it) right next to a stinky one and no smell. Hyundai has likely fixed the issue and is trying to sweep it under the rug now to save costs.

rlittle03

Reaction score
I bought a palisade a month ago and the smell is awful. I have taken it to the dealership and they cannot smell it. It is usually first thing in the morning. They put a ionizer in it seemed to be better, but the smell is back. Has anyone had someone from Hyundai confirm the problem? Have they fixed?
Yes done all that, leave it there overnight and record them when they smell it the next morning. Make them fix this issue

steelers

Reaction score
Yes done all that, leave it there overnight and record them when they smell it the next morning. Make them fix this issue
My limited stinks also ..sometimes worse than others..five years from now we will find out it destroyed our lungs or worse..can't live forever..

travgt01

Reaction score
My limited has the smell as well. I’ve owned it exactly a month. It’s present the majority of the time when I get in the car then basically “goes away” when I turn on the ac/heat. Anyone tried sprinkling baking soda all over, leaving it overnight and vacuuming it up? Thinking about doing this since I’m stuck at home indefinitely and don’t need to drive everyday now.

Last edited:

steelers

Reaction score
I ran my 70 pint dehumidifier in the Palisade for about 8 hours yesterday. Didn't collect a drop of water and the smell is still there , so we can rule out this being any kind of moisture issue.
Just a guess....the smell seems worse in the front than rear area inside the car....seems worse after driving then sitting for hours...seems to go away after driving for a while..conclusion..could it be an engine fluid and or part that when heated emits an odor..and the odor works it's way into the interior..