Missing that 'New Car Smell'

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

steelers

Reaction score
Yes. Some people are handy, some are not. I am the latter. So I hate the idea of taking a new $48K apart to add foam rope and possibly making the car worse. When the mechanic found a gap between front door and back he asked if I had taken the car elsewhere before him. Implying exactly what? Someone else damaged it? I damaged it playing around with it? His tone said-this would never come from the mfg this way? I did the pre delivery service and did not see it he said. Like he would never miss something. So, I patiently wait for replacement parts on this and get to drive over an hour one day to leave my car w him, drive over an hour home in a loaner, then repeat the next day to go pick it up. There is 4-5 hours of my life at car dealer in days to fiddle with a new car. That is one issue-what about the driveshaft? Another day? Another 4-5 hours of drive time for car work/repairs IF Hyundai will even acknowledge it. TSB says it’s only on cars before July. So, the TSB must be right. So what I feel is non existent per dealer and Hyundai b/c my mfg date is after what Hyundai says? No one should have to lose/waste time like this. In service department, on phone with Hyundai, keeping records to prove it, time on the road to/from service, putting senseless miles on it to service. While also dreading
an upcoming 6 hour road trip in it. This might be a good little runabout town car. But I would have bought a smaller car if I needed that. I already have one of those. This was to be a road trip, family car. A quiet, smooth, enjoyable riding car. It is not. Very disappointing. No one should have to do ALL this, then have to go buy a new car again a month or 2 later. And the smell is something you think you now smell even away from the car. But what fun shopping online for charcoal deodorizers for the new car to maybe kill that smell. And what fun yesterday removing headrests and sniffing them, trying to get to the foam to see if that is the problem. You think it might be one issue-wind noise-but nope-they keep coming. And to be honest, why can’t Hyundai offer foam rope install as a courtesy? Attempt something vs just telling a customer who spent $48K, sorry, but this is normal.
Agree..I purchased the foam..and installed...I saw no point in going to dealer..as Hyundai is still working on the wind noise fix.That will never happen
The warranty is a scam.

AKM

Reaction score
Agree..I purchased the foam..and installed...I saw no point in going to dealer..as Hyundai is still working on the wind noise fix.That will never happen
The warranty is a scam.
The TSB has is pulled now on wind noise. They act like it never happened. Mechanic says nothing to try to fix basically b/c TSB has been pulled by Hyundai.
I paid $472 for sound deadening application to try to kill excessive and loud road noise. But when you have driveshaft vibration at 65-75..that contributes to excessive inside cabin noise...
But here are several Palisade owners spending hard earned $ for their own various fixes..🤔 wow. Good job Hyundai. It’s not one car, it’s several. Regardless of manufacture dates, they should do everything they can to fix their “flagship” supposedly luxury, top of the line, new SUV for the owners. Fool me once.

steelers

Reaction score
The TSB has is pulled now on wind noise. They act like it never happened. Mechanic says nothing to try to fix basically b/c TSB has been pulled by Hyundai.
I paid $472 for sound deadening application to try to kill excessive and loud road noise. But when you have driveshaft vibration at 65-75..that contributes to excessive inside cabin noise...
But here are several Palisade owners spending hard earned $ for their own various fixes..🤔 wow. Good job Hyundai. It’s not one car, it’s several. Regardless of manufacture dates, they should do everything they can to fix their “flagship” supposedly luxury, top of the line, new SUV for the owners. Fool me once.
Have you considered taking your vehicle to a qualified private repair shop for an estimate and opinion regarding your driveshaft issue.?
Apart from lemon laws this may be your best option.I do understand your angst..we did not sign up for this crap.

Eric2203

Reaction score
Have you considered taking your vehicle to a qualified private repair shop for an estimate and opinion regarding your driveshaft issue.?
Apart from lemon laws this may be your best option.I do understand your angst..we did not sign up for this crap.
Then cut your losses and sell it. You’ve been complaining about it for almost a year but you’re still driving it.

AKM

Reaction score
Good one. Actually had not thought about it. Thanks for the idea.
min emails from Hyundai all they said was things like repairs may be done but may be at warranty or your cost.
I asked them to perform the repair since I was spending $472 on sound deadening and undercoating Now waiting for the new door/window part to see how wind noise improves (I hope). Cabin noise, tire noise is definitely less. I am willing to keep the car if I can eliminate the vibration (it is pond/needles/numbing to the hands), requires switching hands while driving, also numbing (pins/needles) effect on legs.
But, Hyundai has gone radio silent.
My plan is to have the mechanic at dealer drive it again on interstate at those speeds, to go thoroughly through the TSB and do as it says and if he fells it look under to see what he sees with driveshaft/connections, etc. Last time it was him looking at TSB and blowing it off since it’s for ones made before August. (I am Dec built). But, imam sure he will tear Road noise after his repair.
it was interesting when he rode w me. He just wanted to go down the road. I headed for interstate! As you do not hear noise so much at 35. No vibration until 64/65. Thank you though for your help! I appreciate it.

steelers

Reaction score
Good one. Actually had not thought about it. Thanks for the idea.
min emails from Hyundai all they said was things like repairs may be done but may be at warranty or your cost.
I asked them to perform the repair since I was spending $472 on sound deadening and undercoating Now waiting for the new door/window part to see how wind noise improves (I hope). Cabin noise, tire noise is definitely less. I am willing to keep the car if I can eliminate the vibration (it is pond/needles/numbing to the hands), requires switching hands while driving, also numbing (pins/needles) effect on legs.
But, Hyundai has gone radio silent.
My plan is to have the mechanic at dealer drive it again on interstate at those speeds, to go thoroughly through the TSB and do as it says and if he fells it look under to see what he sees with driveshaft/connections, etc. Last time it was him looking at TSB and blowing it off since it’s for ones made before August. (I am Dec built). But, imam sure he will tear Road noise after his repair.
it was interesting when he rode w me. He just wanted to go down the road. I headed for interstate! As you do not hear noise so much at 35. No vibration until 64/65. Thank you though for your help! I appreciate it.
Wear gloves while driving,helps with vibrations. Show the gloves to mechanic,explain why you wear them.Be nice,but firm,even though you would like to tell them to kya..also consider bringing a witness.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

AKM

Reaction score
Summer in New York..live in Florida..
Been Steelers fan since 1968..
Nice! Born Pgh, moved 2 VIrginia, now back b/c of aging parents who would never leave. Steelers fan since 1969/70.
want to head to FL after here, or at least back south. Hate the cold, snow.

steelers

Reaction score
Nice! Born Pgh, moved 2 VIrginia, now back b/c of aging parents who would never leave. Steelers fan since 1969/70.
want to head to FL after here, or at least back south. Hate the cold, snow.
Hate the cold,snow etc...hope this virus does not slow construction of our new house in Fl...
Under no circumstances am I staying in New York in winter...
Anyway..this is off topic..let's stick to the issue at hand...

raggedy1

Reaction score
The driveline vibrations seems like something the tech will be able to hear and feel. If a tech has already said he doesn’t feel it, next time I would insist the customer service manager drive it with me.
That’s what I had to do to convince them that my alignment was still not straight after they attempted to align the car.
Yeah, sitting around a dealership waiting hours for repairs is maddening. To fix my alignment took two trips totaling over six hours (not including travel time or bridge toll) plus a 3rd trip for them to replace two of my wheels because they chipped the paint when they aligned the car!
Oh, and when I first pointed out the chipped paint on my wheels, the service tech insinuated that I had chipped the wheels before and was trying to blame them! Talk about blood boiling!!!

If your dealer isn’t fixing your driveline problem, ask the service or customer service manager to get the district rep involved. When you report back to Hyundai Corporate too I would ask them to get the area/district rep involved too.

AKM

Reaction score
Then cut your losses and sell it. You’ve been complaining about it for almost a year but you’re still driving it.
How can I complain about it for a year when I bought it June 20, 2020? In the 5-6 weeks I have had it, trying to “fix” the issues myself or get Hyundai to do it. If it truly were a year, I would get ride of it and would not be complaining. If I kept it a year it would be not driven to keep miles low, garage kept for a year to keep me from losing $4-6K in 6 weeks. But thank you for your input.

AKM

Reaction score
The driveline vibrations seems like something the tech will be able to hear and feel. If a tech has already said he doesn’t feel it, next time I would insist the customer service manager drive it with me.
That’s what I had to do to convince them that my alignment was still not straight after they attempted to align the car.
Yeah, sitting around a dealership waiting hours for repairs is maddening. To fix my alignment took two trips totaling over six hours (not including travel time or bridge toll) plus a 3rd trip for them to replace two of my wheels because they chipped the paint when they aligned the car!
Oh, and when I first pointed out the chipped paint on my wheels, the service tech insinuated that I had chipped the wheels before and was trying to blame them! Talk about blood boiling!!!

If your dealer isn’t fixing your driveline problem, ask the service or customer service manager to get the district rep involved. When you report back to Hyundai Corporate too I would ask them to get the area/district rep involved too.
Wow. Crazy.

raggedy1

Reaction score
I truly hate going in for anything at the dealer, and that includes any car dealer I’ve dealt with including Hyundai.

Dealer service is painful like calling your cable or cell phone provider. Lol

But I am really enjoying my Palisade and I don’t have stinky leather. I actually wish it had more of the new car smell, but the subtle Nappa leather smell is really nice too!

Sniffer

Reaction score
No - it is any car with the Napa Leather - the headrests are a faux leather that has the smell - it is not the foam it is the fake leather headrest covers. Remove them and smell them - they are the source of the smell.
How did you determine that "it's the faux leather on the headrests"? As on most any car, all headrests and most of the seats are "faux leather". Actual leather is only used for "seating surfaces", such as the perforated part of the seats on the Limited. You sound certain that it's the material and NOT the foam inside. Are you? We can't (me, wife, dealer service) trace it to the covering which is the same on headrests and, say, the seat-backs. If Hyundai could simply replace headrests, that would be simple and easy and problem solved. I think it goes deeper and I think they have to KNOW it goes deeper. This is a very simple problem for the factory to pin down, I'm guessing seats come from one or more vendors, but they could trace this in a day, and it applies to production over quite a long time now. We need verified facts here, not conjecture.

Sniffer

Reaction score
I truly hate going in for anything at the dealer, and that includes any car dealer I’ve dealt with including Hyundai.

Dealer service is painful like calling your cable or cell phone provider. Lol

But I am really enjoying my Palisade and I don’t have stinky leather. I actually wish it had more of the new car smell, but the subtle Nappa leather smell is really nice too!
When was your car built? (It is on the label on the body when you open the driver door, where recommended tire pressure is shown).

steelers

Reaction score
If Hyundai does not know the source of the stink..and they do not know the source of wind noise..and they do not know why windshields crack
Just what the heck do they know ? It's called easy way around the warranty..bottom line save money for the company..