Newbie here

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

Neenster

Reaction score
Hey all.

Just stumbled across this forum today. Purchased my '22 Pali two weeks ago - AWD SEL in Sierra Burgungy w/gray. So far enjoying the new ride.

Palisade Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all.

Just stumbled across this forum today. Purchased my '22 Pali two weeks ago - AWD SEL in Sierra Burgungy w/gray. So far enjoying the new ride.
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Congratulations on your brand new Palisade! What did the Palisade replace for you? I'm glad you found us. :)

KO4EBC

Reaction score
We bought our 2022 Palisade on the Tuesday after Labor Day. I immediately found myself dealing with having to arrange for the installation of a trailer hitch for towing our camper, the seven pin wiring harness (which was done by our local Kia service department), and the brake controller - which the Kia folks said they would not touch. We love the car, but hate jumping through hoops getting the tow package installed. It should be offered as an option the way it is with the Kia Telluride. Had I known then...there would be a Kia parked in my driveway right now.

BTW, this is our fourth Hyundai: 2002 Santa Fe, 2007 Santa Fe, 2015 Santa Fe, 2022 Palisade. None of the Hyundais that we've owned have ever broken down and/or left us stranded.

WolfPupTower

Reaction score
having the exact same issue. Hoping to find a solution that's not a nightmare. Its been days of research and I'm still at a loss....

KO4EBC

Reaction score
having the exact same issue. Hoping to find a solution that's not a nightmare. Its been days of research and I'm still at a loss....
We just finished up this saga this morning. I'll outline our path and the costs involved for us. We returned to the dealer to have the hitch installed: $600.70 (this could have been done for far less). Bought the seven pin wiring harness from Kia: $224.64. Paid Kia to install the wiring harness: $119.20. Paid a local mechanic to install the brake controller and wiring branch that Kia would not touch: $247.19 for a grand total of $1191.73. I could have cut costs by having the hitch installed by someone other than the dealer, but the other costs seem reasonable. FYI, the part number for the seven point wiring harness is S9F67-AC500. Best of luck!

WolfPupTower

Reaction score
Man, that is SO very helpful. I'm considering having UHaul do the Hitch, that'll be cheaper, and then my RV dealer do the harness work. Your roadmap there will help a ton. Happy trails!

MichaelBurriss

Reaction score
We just finished up this saga this morning. I'll outline our path and the costs involved for us. We returned to the dealer to have the hitch installed: $600.70 (this could have been done for far less). Bought the seven pin wiring harness from Kia: $224.64. Paid Kia to install the wiring harness: $119.20. Paid a local mechanic to install the brake controller and wiring branch that Kia would not touch: $247.19 for a grand total of $1191.73. I could have cut costs by having the hitch installed by someone other than the dealer, but the other costs seem reasonable. FYI, the part number for the seven point wiring harness is S9F67-AC500. Best of luck!
You can order your vehicle with the tow package. Only thing is that you still will need to install a brake controller and run the wire to the front. The tow package is just under $500 when ordering (this is if you can find one with a tow package already), say $100 for a decent brake controller and estimate $200 to have the wire ran and controller mounted.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Tow package is standard, which consists of both trailer wiring plug at the rear, and brake controller at the front (starting in 2021, which also includes wiring for 7-pin plug), plus self-leveling shocks at the rear, and 'extra cooling', which I think is a small transmission cooler, but not sure. What is optional (installed at port or dealer) is a tow HITCH (which looks like crap, so most of us opted for the much better looking Curt), plus just the basic 4-pin harness. The best solution if you want everything is to buy a Curt hitch, buy the 7-pin harness from Kia, and a Bluetooth electric brake controller, to avoid drilling your new vehicle. The plug for that is next to the OBD-II one, for what I've read. Hope this helps.

Jujigatame

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to instructions for installing the Kia 7 pin harness?

It looks like it's basically just a plug, but where does it plug in to?

elp_jc

Reaction score
On a hidden plug that is behind the left-rear wheel, which requires removing a plastic cover. And the plug for an electric brake controller (on 2021s and newer), if you want to install one, is next to the OBD-II plug under the dash (driver's side). Hope this helps.

Jujigatame

Reaction score
On a hidden plug that is behind the left-rear wheel, which requires removing a plastic cover. And the plug for an electric brake controller (on 2021s and newer), if you want to install one, is next to the OBD-II plug under the dash (driver's side). Hope this helps.
Thanks, yes, I found the inside brake controller harness, but haven't gotten under the truck yet. I thought it might be inside the spare tire well.

elp_jc

Reaction score
The spare tire is under the vehicle, so the plug is basically there, but just protected by a cover :). Hey, air up your spare, now that you're going to get under there.