oil

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

jimmygez1961

Reaction score
question I have a 2021 when I check my oil in the morning for the first time its a quart shy but if I try it again its full to me the first reading is right its been sitting all night so all the oil is in the pan I wonder if anyone has had the same problem

saxman242

Reaction score
Oil should not be checked first thing in the morning after the vehicle sits all night. You want to check it on a warm engine that's been running.

1610376167794.png

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

SunKing

Reaction score
Yea you always want to check the oil when it’s warm. The next time you run to the store or something just try it again once you get home.

Jt1053

Reaction score
When I check mine its cold and in the garage. I pull the stick out and it checks a quart low. I wipe it off, reinsert the stick for a couple seconds and it checks full.
Try that
Doesn’t make sense to me but I have 9900 miles and it uses no oil.

saxman242

Reaction score
Or just check it based on how the manual says to check it, since the marks on the dipstick are placed assuming you check it that way.

Alan_F

Reaction score
When I check mine its cold and in the garage. I pull the stick out and it checks a quart low. I wipe it off, reinsert the stick for a couple seconds and it checks full.
Try that
Doesn’t make sense to me but I have 9900 miles and it uses no oil.
I have a Hyundai Genesis with a very similar 3.8L Lambda engine. I have found that if I follow the procedure you use above (even though it is recommended by Hyundai), oil drags up the dip stick tube, and future near-term readings tend to read too high because of residual oil in the tube when pulling up the stick the first time. So I always check the dipstick after the oil has had a chance to drain into the pan (several hours), including the draining of any oil in the dipstick tube, so I only pull the dipstick one time to get an accurate reading.

Also, when I first purchased the car, before any oil changes, the dipstick reading of the factory fill was at least 1/2 quart over the full line when using your method, but right at the full line when using my method.

I do my own oil changes, and measure how much oil I drain and how much I put back in for the oil change.

However, the volume of oil can change due to temperatures, especially if comparing a cold winter day (with a cold engine), versus a hot engine. But one quart sounds like a big difference just due to temperature. On the other hand, Automatic Transmission Fluid can change in volume quite a lot depending on the temperature of the fluid.