Order to Delivery Time

Alan_F

Reaction score
So yes, you could be getting played, just like I was, especially if you were offered a good deal. Finally, be aware some of the most active people here are not even owners, so take their comments with a grain of salt :). I just ignored them. Good luck.
That is correct, I am not an owner. I do own a Hyundai Genesis (bought before it became the separate Genesis brand) and I am familiar with Hyundai and their process. If not for for COVID-19, I would have purchased a Palisade by now, but I am not going to pay over MSRP. What difference does it make?

If you have a problem with something I say and don't think it is accurate, I welcome your criticism, but I don't understand the issue about not actually owning a Palisade yet.

EMWLou

Reaction score
My Palisade
2022 Calligraphy
That's exactly what happened to me... TWICE. Ha ha. The first time, dealer played dumb, saying a salesman 'accidentally' sold my SUV to somebody else. Keep in mind I was dealing with the f***ing manager. Okay. Maybe a legitimate fluke. The second time was the exact scenario you mentioned (SUV in both sites), and I told the guy to go physically check, and he still said it wasn't there. I immediately called back, and asked to talk to a salesman, and the freaking SUV was there, but was already sold (and not to me). Called the ahole back, demanding an explanation, and tried to play dumb again. But it was pretty obvious at that point they were selling them above MSRP (I was promised MSRP; it was going to be my 7th new vehicle from them). I was really upset with the lying, which cost me 2 months lost. Told him I'd try to never set foot on that stupid place ever again. I might be forced to in case of a recall or something that forces me to go there, but at least will never buy another vehicle from them. Fortunately, I could locate exactly what I wanted in Albuquerque, and at MSRP, so bought that one instead... but even though they're the next closest dealer to me, they're way too far away to use for service (300 miles away). Fortunately, I do my own services, so just hope no recalls or reliability issues that require a dealer visit. We'll see.

So yes, you could be getting played, just like I was, especially if you were offered a good deal. Finally, be aware some of the most active people here are not even owners, so take their comments with a grain of salt :). I just ignored them. Good luck.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You'd think that after 7 vehicles, they'd treat you a little better. I really think a lot of these dealers fail to realize they are setting themselves up for problems when things eventually go back to normal. You just said that you will avoid that dealer in the future. There are a few that I've come across in all of this that I will never consider using ever gain too. Is the lousy few bucks they are making right now really worth losing future customers over? I've bought 3 vehicles from the dealer closest to me in the past. They wanted to charge me $5K over MSRP for a Palisade and they undervalued my trade in too. I walked out on them and If my current deal ever gets done, I'm looking at over $8,500 less out of pocket. I'll never deal with the close dealer again. Being that I live in the NE corridor, I'm fortunate to be close to a lot of dealers.

Anyway, with the current deal, they are telling me that it arrived at a Maryland port instead of the port in Philly. That is the supposed reason for the delay. They've change my ETA from 12/26 to 1/10 now. The Maryland port is 90 miles away from the Philly port. I can't see how 90 miles causes a 2 week delay. Ironically, I live closer to the Maryland port than I do the dealer I'm buying from. I offered to go pick it up at the port, but that wasn't an option. I'm obviously very skeptical, but since I have a deposit on the vehicle, I pretty much have to wait it out and see how it goes.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You'd think that after 7 vehicles, they'd treat you a little better. I really think a lot of these dealers fail to realize they are setting themselves up for problems when things eventually go back to normal. You just said that you will avoid that dealer in the future. There are a few that I've come across in all of this that I will never consider using ever gain too. Is the lousy few bucks they are making right now really worth losing future customers over? I've bought 3 vehicles from the dealer closest to me in the past. They wanted to charge me $5K over MSRP for a Palisade and they undervalued my trade in too. I walked out on them and If my current deal ever gets done, I'm looking at over $8,500 less out of pocket. I'll never deal with the close dealer again. Being that I live in the NE corridor, I'm fortunate to be close to a lot of dealers.

Anyway, with the current deal, they are telling me that it arrived at a Maryland port instead of the port in Philly. That is the supposed reason for the delay. They've change my ETA from 12/26 to 1/10 now. The Maryland port is 90 miles away from the Philly port. I can't see how 90 miles causes a 2 week delay. Ironically, I live closer to the Maryland port than I do the dealer I'm buying from. I offered to go pick it up at the port, but that wasn't an option. I'm obviously very skeptical, but since I have a deposit on the vehicle, I pretty much have to wait it out and see how it goes.
There is no way you can pick up a car at the port of entry for Hyundai Motor America. The distributor (HMA) sells vehicles to dealers, not to consumers. Plus, the dealer has to perform "dealer prep" once the vehicle arrives and before delivered to you.

I would be suspicious of the dealer also. According to the Hyundai Glovis website (the shipping company that transports Hyundai vehicles), the ports on the US east coast coming from Korea are Newark, Philly, and Brunswick GA. It looks like the same ship stops at all 3 ports.
For the above link, scroll down and click on "View Service Route" and then in the Ex Far East section, click on "US E. Coast".

I did notice that Hyundai apparently ships vehicles from the EU to the US, which arrive at Baltimore and Brunswick GA, so I guess they do have some kind of port of entry in Maryland. So maybe they are using that Baltimore port for shipments from Korea also, due to the fact that some ports are backed up and suffering delays.

But since 1/10/2022 is not that far away, I would just wait until then before you hit the panic button, especially since you are getting a great deal.

Last edited:

steelers

Reaction score
Pretty easy to see why car salesman are the most despised breed on the planet..
$10000 market adjustment
999 dealer fee in some states
1500 for a pinstripe
Don't wanna know you are not going to finance with them..
Then lie about availability

EMWLou

Reaction score
My Palisade
2022 Calligraphy
But since 1/10/2022 is not that far away, I would just wait until then before you hit the panic button, especially since you are getting a great deal.
Great deal? I wouldn't call it that at all. I'm still paying $1K over MSRP and I'm getting what the actual market value is for my 2015 Genesis 5.0. I'm just not getting ripped off as bad as the other dealer tried. Given the current market conditions, I'm more than ok with the deal I got, but I'd never call it a great deal.

I looked at that Glovis site. You're right in that they don't ship from Asia to Baltimore, but the Baltimore port is still used for a lot of things according to that site. With the supply chains issues and worker shortages right now, I can see their story about the vehicle being delivered to Baltimore being true. I just don't see how it translates in to a 2 week delay for 90 miles. I'm not going to fret over it any longer. I hate it, but waiting until the 10th is what it is. Now should the 11th get here and I don't get a call saying my vehicle is in, they're going to have a very angry customer to deal with. I know there isn't much I can do about it legally, but I'm from Philly. I left Philly years ago, but the Philly has never totally left me, I can be a real PITA if need be.

EMWLou

Reaction score
My Palisade
2022 Calligraphy
Pretty easy to see why car salesman are the most despised breed on the planet..
$10000 market adjustment
999 dealer fee in some states
1500 for a pinstripe
Don't wanna know you are not going to finance with them..
Then lie about availability
To be fair, I've dealt with my fair share of decent sales people over the years too. Definitely some really bad apples in the barrel, but they're not all bad.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Great deal? I wouldn't call it that at all. I'm still paying $1K over MSRP and I'm getting what the actual market value is for my 2015 Genesis 5.0. I'm just not getting ripped off as bad as the other dealer tried. Given the current market conditions, I'm more than ok with the deal I got, but I'd never call it a great deal.
I meant great deal compared to what others are paying. Back in 1985, I bought the first 1986 Honda Accord LXi shipped to my dealer and paid MSRP, which was normal for Japanese cars back then due to self-imposed import quotas. When I came back a few days later (they needed some time for dealer prep) to pick up the car, I noticed they were asking about $1,500 over MSRP. It's all relative.

Personally, I decided to wait on buying a new SUV for awhile, partly due to COVID-19 (not driving much anymore), and mostly due to the prices.

C.duque.perez

Reaction score
Hello. Not sure if anyone can help. I ordered my Palisade in Sept 2021 ... have been told by the dealer I'll get it Mid Dec that didn't happen - I called and was told Jan 4, 2022. That isn't happening either because I called the dealer last week and was told it hadn't arrived yet and that they didn't know when it would arrive. I got an email on Dec 16. 2021 telling me my car had arrived at the Port of Vancouver but that's all I know. Any idea how long I can expect for my car to arrive at the dealership in Ontario? Or where I can find out more info? The dealership is no help unfortunately. Thanks!

Alan_F

Reaction score
Hello. Not sure if anyone can help. I ordered my Palisade in Sept 2021 ... have been told by the dealer I'll get it Mid Dec that didn't happen - I called and was told Jan 4, 2022. That isn't happening either because I called the dealer last week and was told it hadn't arrived yet and that they didn't know when it would arrive. I got an email on Dec 16. 2021 telling me my car had arrived at the Port of Vancouver but that's all I know. Any idea how long I can expect for my car to arrive at the dealership in Ontario? Or where I can find out more info? The dealership is no help unfortunately. Thanks!
It's not yours until they deliver it to you. As discussed in other posts, there is no such thing as a customer order from the factory, it is only a request to the dealer to find one for you the way you want it (trim level, colors, etc).

You dealer may have genuinely thought they could find you a vehicle like the one you requested, but it just depends on how many are made, and how many other dealers want the same vehicle. In some cases, other customers may move in front of you in line if they are willing to pay a higher price, but that depends on the dealer. In the USA, some dealers are asking almost $10K over MSRP for the higher trim levels. Not sure what is going on in Canada.

C.duque.perez

Reaction score
It's not yours until they deliver it to you. As discussed in other posts, there is no such thing as a customer order from the factory, it is only a request to the dealer to find one for you the way you want it (trim level, colors, etc).

You dealer may have genuinely thought they could find you a vehicle like the one you requested, but it just depends on how many are made, and how many other dealers want the same vehicle. In some cases, other customers may move in front of you in line if they are willing to pay a higher price, but that depends on the dealer. In the USA, some dealers are asking almost $10K over MSRP for the higher trim levels. Not sure what is going on in Canada.
Thanks for your answer ... would this still be the case if a contract has already been signed? I've also been given a VIN number and I have a confirmation email from Hyundai Canada confirming the car has arrived in Canada "for me". Thanks again

Alan_F

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer ... would this still be the case if a contract has already been signed? I've also been given a VIN number and I have a confirmation email from Hyundai Canada confirming the car has arrived in Canada "for me". Thanks again
Hyundai Canada works a differently than Hyundai Motor America, since manufacturer's are allowed to own dealerships in Canada, or have a closer relationship with them. By state laws in the USA, car dealers must be independent businesses (with a few exceptions like Tesla in some states). Based on what you said, it sounds like your vehicle is on the way. But Vancouver is a long way from Ontario and I don't know about Canada, but the supply chain infrastructure in the USA is a complete mess. There are 80,000 job openings for truck drivers in the USA. Probably rail shipments are also backed up.

C.duque.perez

Reaction score
Hyundai Canada works a differently than Hyundai Motor America, since manufacturer's are allowed to own dealerships in Canada, or have a closer relationship with them. By state laws in the USA, car dealers must be independent businesses (with a few exceptions like Tesla in some states). Based on what you said, it sounds like your vehicle is on the way. But Vancouver is a long way from Ontario and I don't know about Canada, but the supply chain infrastructure in the USA is a complete mess. There are 80,000 job openings for truck drivers in the USA. Probably rail shipments are also backed up.
Thanks for your replies Alan. Let's hope I hear from my dealer soon.

EMWLou

Reaction score
My Palisade
2022 Calligraphy
No still waiting
Hang in there. For what its worth, I've been scouring Hyundai's Inventory website like crazy lately. I've been trying to hunt down an alternative/backup to the one that is due to arrive for me on the 10th. There seems to be a very large amount of Palisades scheduled for delivery over the next couple of weeks. Seeing new Palisades show up on their inventory page was like a slow drip from a faucet for quite a while. Now it seems like the faucet has been fully opened and there will be supply arriving. Apparently, my Palisade arrived at the dealer this morning. They called about an hour ago. They said they are short staffed today, but will get it prepped and have it ready for me to pick up on Monday morning. If I'm right about the increase I'm seeing in supply, you might be getting a similar call fairly soon.

I don't claim to have any inside knowledge like the one guy who posts here, its just my observation from being a geek and constantly looking at their inventory over the last couple of weeks. Take it for what its worth.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Hang in there. For what its worth, I've been scouring Hyundai's Inventory website like crazy lately. I've been trying to hunt down an alternative/backup to the one that is due to arrive for me on the 10th. There seems to be a very large amount of Palisades scheduled for delivery over the next couple of weeks. Seeing new Palisades show up on their inventory page was like a slow drip from a faucet for quite a while. Now it seems like the faucet has been fully opened and there will be supply arriving. Apparently, my Palisade arrived at the dealer this morning. They called about an hour ago. They said they are short staffed today, but will get it prepped and have it ready for me to pick up on Monday morning. If I'm right about the increase I'm seeing in supply, you might be getting a similar call fairly soon.

I don't claim to have any inside knowledge like the one guy who posts here, its just my observation from being a geek and constantly looking at their inventory over the last couple of weeks. Take it for what its worth.
Hopefully the supply increase of Palisades will be sustained, but remember that ships from Korea with the Palisades on them only arrive once or twice a month at any one port in the US (and those ports are directly tied to dealers that get their vehicles from a particular port of entry). There are at least 2 Hyundai Motor America ports on the US east coast and at least 2 on the USA west coast. The same ship may visit multiple ports of entry on the same USA coast (and sometimes may also visit ports outside the USA). So they probably will be arriving in "waves" instead of a steady continuous stream.

Everyone is short staffed in the USA. The the port workers, the Hyundai distributors who import the cars at port of entry in the USA, the shippers (rail or truck), the dealers, etc.

A record 4.5 million Americans quit their jobs in November

EMWLou

Reaction score
My Palisade
2022 Calligraphy
Hopefully the supply increase of Palisades will be sustained, but remember that ships from Korea with the Palisades on them only arrive once or twice a month at any one port in the US (and those ports are directly tied to dealers that get their vehicles from a particular port of entry). There are at least 2 Hyundai Motor America ports on the US east coast and at least 2 on the USA west coast. The same ship may visit multiple ports of entry on the same USA coast (and sometimes may also visit ports outside the USA). So they probably will be arriving in "waves" instead of a steady continuous stream.

Everyone is short staffed in the USA. The the port workers, the Hyundai distributors who import the cars at port of entry in the USA, the shippers (rail or truck), the dealers, etc.

A record 4.5 million Americans quit their jobs in November
Things are still very strange, but they are at least getting a little better. A couple of months ago, those Palisades were just sitting on ships because there weren't enough workers to unload them and to deliver them. There has been significant improvement on that front. At this point, I'll take anything we can get that is positive. You don't shut down the majority of the global economy and not get some major ripples from it. Its still going to take quite a while for normal to return, but a few small steps here and there will add up eventually. The amount of new Palisades showing up in inventory at this time last month was dramatically less, so I'm optimistic. Although, I could just be in a good mood because I know I'm finally getting mine, hard to say. I'm happy either way...

spalid

Reaction score
Hi Can you please provide your timelines from order to until now. We ordered Palisade Luxury here is Brampton in July and still waiting. What type of communications did you receive from Hyundai

spalid

Reaction score
We Ordered our Palisade Luxury at Brampton Attrell Hyundai in July 2021. We got an email from Hyundai Canada in October 2021 stating they received the order at the Factory and will be built in November 2021. Since then we have no info either from the dealer nor from Hyundai Canada. If anyone placed a order in 2021 can you please provide timelines and also why type of communication you received from the Dealer and from Hyundai Canada.