Overwhelmed!

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Bluegrass

Reaction score
We just brought our 2021 brand new Palisade home yesterday and because it’s been 13 years since buying a car and we are now in the computer age and we are in our 80’s, we are overwhelmed! Our great salesman went over everything but we promptly forgot everything! We are trying to go through the manual and sit in the car and figure it out but it’s so complicated. Rather than go back to the dealer, we probably will hire a young person to help us. Any other elderly persons like us?? Do you have any suggestions for making it easier? Thanks.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Reaction score
Don't worry about knowing everything. It takes time. Forums and websites help, A good dealer should be willing to show and tell. Note as well that great thing about the Palisade or many modern cars is all the safety features are amazing. And on the positive side there are enough analog controls that you do not have to get lost in computer screens to drive the car.

Popeye

Reaction score
We just brought our 2021 brand new Palisade home yesterday and because it’s been 13 years since buying a car and we are now in the computer age and we are in our 80’s, we are overwhelmed! Our great salesman went over everything but we promptly forgot everything! We are trying to go through the manual and sit in the car and figure it out but it’s so complicated. Rather than go back to the dealer, we probably will hire a young person to help us. Any other elderly persons like us?? Do you have any suggestions for making it easier? Thanks.
I'm not quite as worldly and experienced as you are, being only 61 and all, but I know how you feel. My last new vehicle was a 2003 Silverado. Don't try to understand it all at once. I just learned the basics and every day keep pressing buttons and switches and looking stuff up in the manual. I downloaded the manual to my computer so it's easier to search for things. I personally think the manual is poorly written and laid out.

SunKing

Reaction score
If you learn more easily by being shown and told how to do things I’d get with your sales rep or manager and try to schedule some time at the dealership. They can take you step by step with things like pairing cellular phones and how to interact with your touch screen and navigate your menu in the gauges area.

Queenie

Reaction score
Hey there! I know it seems overwhelming but it's no different from any other car when driving so you should be ok there. As far as the tech goes, that will take a while to learn but just keep trying new things and reading the manual and you should be OK. My mom is 84 and she doesn't drive anymore, just because she doesn't want to but she has issues with learning new technology and likes it when her kids and grandchildren teach her. Could that work for you? As SunKing mentioned, a trip to the dealer could be very beneficial. I hope you enjoy your new car! :)

ARD

Reaction score
You can go to the Hyundai website and you will find many videos that explain many o the functions. Search Youtube for Hyundai and again you will find videos that will help you.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. You are most kind. Tomorrow we have a session with a borrowed grandchild. She helped her parents buy theirs and test drove it so I think she’ll be great.
mine thing that is driving us crazy is that the big manual addresses several models. For instance it says to set the parking brake at the beginning and then take it off but you don’t need to take it off—it does it automatically. Really, how hard should it be to figure out to start and stop a car but it’s been hard for me. Not for my husband as he has a Prius.
You have to literally sit in your car and study the manual cause if you sit in your house you’re very likely to learn the wrong thing cause that’s not your car! Someone suggested watching videos. We’ll do that. Thanks. And thanks for not laughing at this 83 year old.

G

G-185346

Congratulations!! Have been doing a lot of research on Palisade since it got released. Really need some opinions about this car!!! Can't wait to see your post on the pro's and con's!!!

Bellasade

Reaction score
Don’t feel bad. Wife and I are in our mid 40’s and there is a lot to learn for us. We bought our 2021 in October as well. This is our newest car for technology sine 2013 when Bluetooth was becoming popular in cars. This forum has been great in assisting. Just be patient and reach out for help. This a great forum, people will help out.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
I'm not quite as worldly and experienced as you are, being only 61 and all, but I know how you feel. My last new vehicle was a 2003 Silverado. Don't try to understand it all at once. I just learned the basics and every day keep pressing buttons and switches and looking stuff up in the manual. I downloaded the manual to my computer so it's easier to search for things. I personally think the manual is poorly written and laid out.
Thanks Popeye! Is the downloaded manual different than the hardcopy we were given? I agree with you--the manual is very hard to follow and it often refers to a model that is not ours. Someone could make a lot of money if they would write up a simpliefied basic manual for the Palisade! Love the "I'm not quite as worldly and experienced as you are"!!!

Popeye

Reaction score
Thanks Popeye! Is the downloaded manual different than the hardcopy we were given? I agree with you--the manual is very hard to follow and it often refers to a model that is not ours. Someone could make a lot of money if they would write up a simpliefied basic manual for the Palisade! Love the "I'm not quite as worldly and experienced as you are"!!!
It's the same manual but I have it saved as .pdf file and I can use the search function to find key words that help me narrow down where to look.