Paddle shifters

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

My_Best_Pal

Reaction score
My Palisade
'21 Limited FWD - Burgundy
Does anyone here actually use the paddle shifters? I had an Elantra GT Sport and used them occasionally but in that car I could switch to "manual mode" and shift up/down as desired. I could stay in each gear as long as I wanted to. With the Palisade, it seems the shifters are just for quick down-shifting but the trans quickly goes back into Auto mode. I don't see any way to "hold" a gear. IMO not well executed in the Palisade and not a feature I see myself using often if at all. Your thoughts?

G

G-579849

Does anyone here actually use the paddle shifters? I had an Elantra GT Sport and used them occasionally but in that car I could switch to "manual mode" and shift up/down as desired. I could stay in each gear as long as I wanted to. With the Palisade, it seems the shifters are just for quick down-shifting but the trans quickly goes back into Auto mode. I don't see any way to "hold" a gear. IMO not well executed in the Palisade and not a feature I see myself using often if at all. Your thoughts?
That is true. I used them a lot in my turbo veloster. The Palisade does not gear down as quickly as my voster did, however I do use them quite a bit, I enjoy the fact that I can select the gear more easily with the paddles than with the gas peddle. I like that it holds the gear until I slack off the pedal and then it reverts back to drive gear. I did discover that if you only slightly depress the gas pedal( 3mm or les) so that you are really just cruising along, that it changes out of shiftronic mode and back to drive but this makes sense since you are not accelerating, if you do however want to stay in gear. Just apply more pressure on the gas pedal, it will then stay in that gear indefinitely, I have over 55,000 miles on my Pali. So I am really used to it now! If I want to accelerate again, I like to give the left paddle two to three clicks and that steps it down for passing etc. hope this helps you!

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
so to hold a gear in the palisade.

be in sport mode, and have the AWD system locked on.

doing so holds the gear as long as you like. except if the rpms drop below a safe level (like coming to a stop) then it will flip back to Auto mode.

can't speak to the FWD version, but this works in the AWD version.

awedbychrist

Reaction score
I have used them a few times and they always quickly divert back to automatic mode. The automatic is usually good enough so I have no complaint about that, but it would be nice to use them without their returning to automatic mode until I want it to.
I'' have to try Mr iNCREDIBLE's method just to see if that works, but I don't really like staying in AWD when it isn't necessary. Funny how controlling the people at Hyundai are when they make these cars.

elp_jc

Reaction score
On SPORT mode, the paddles stay in paddle mode regardless if you have FWD or AWD (mine is FWD) once you use them. But yes, once you come to a stop, they do revert back to D mode, so you have to click a paddle again once you take off. If you want to revert to D mode while under way, just press the right paddle for a second or so and it goes back to D mode.

I drive in SPORT mode all the time, and use the paddles most of the time as well. I don't like that even in sport mode, the car starts in 2nd many times. So you have to select 1st gear manually.

Eric2203

Reaction score
What are you guys talking about with turning AWD on or off? It’s an always-on system. It can’t be turned off.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
What are you guys talking about with turning AWD on or off? It’s an always-on system. It can’t be turned off.
there is an AWD "Lock" button on the spin dial on your console that locks AWD in always AWD mode. in unlocked mode the computer determines the need, if you actually watch the AWD monitor in the cluster you will find that it is in FWD most of the time, except on uneven pavement or under hard acceleration.

when locked it is full time AWD.

Eric2203

Reaction score
there is an AWD "Lock" button on the spin dial on your console that locks AWD in always AWD mode. in unlocked mode the computer determines the need, if you actually watch the AWD monitor in the cluster you will find that it is in FWD most of the time, except on uneven pavement or under hard acceleration.

when locked it is full time AWD.
That button in the middle locks the diff, but only up to 25 mph. That does make the car four-wheel drive. But all-wheel drive isn’t four-wheel drive and doesn’t mean all wheels drive all the time, it just mean they can. Which is what you see in the AWD monitor. AWD is still on, you can’t turn it off.

Retiredguy

Reaction score
I tow a 4000 lb. travel trailer with my Palisade and find the paddle shifters useful for constricting on grades, but for general driving, I feel the transmission takes care of itself just fine.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
That button in the middle locks the diff, but only up to 25 mph. That does make the car four-wheel drive. But all-wheel drive isn’t four-wheel drive and doesn’t mean all wheels drive all the time, it just mean they can. Which is what you see in the AWD monitor. AWD is still on, you can’t turn it off.
so my misunderstanding, the AWD lock is not an AWD lock, it is a differential lock for getting out of mud and snow. my mistake for actually listening to the sales rep, I know better.

so in sport mode it does hold the gear, which is a good thing, my G80 did not, it will only hold under load and it was very disconcerting when it kicked up from manual 3 to auto 7 or 8 in the middle of a 65-70mph curve.

awedbychrist

Reaction score
Hi Eric, I had to learn a little about it when you said that.
Here is a quote that kind of spells out the differences.
It is a little dated, there are two more modes on my car, but gives us the idea.
"Hyundai system increases efficiency by keeping the system "always on," but giving the driver three different modes to choose from:

• Comfort
  • Smart
  • Sport
When you're in smart (also known as ECO) mode, power is going mostly to the front wheels, and this gives you great fuel efficiency. Sport mode is somewhere in between, splitting power 50/50 to front and rear tires. Comfort gives you the greatest degree of confidence in adverse weather conditions, putting 70$ of your power to the front and 30% to the rear wheels."
from: Hyundai All-Wheel-Drive System | Benefits and Features | in Arlington and serving Fort Worth, TX
Until, you had said something, I just thought that turning the knob to snow mode put the FWD into AWD.
Thanks for setting me straight.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Eric2203

Reaction score
so my misunderstanding, the AWD lock is not an AWD lock, it is a differential lock for getting out of mud and snow. my mistake for actually listening to the sales rep, I know better.

so in sport mode it does hold the gear, which is a good thing, my G80 did not, it will only hold under load and it was very disconcerting when it kicked up from manual 3 to auto 7 or 8 in the middle of a 65-70mph curve.
Hi Eric, I had to learn a little about it when you said that.
Here is a quote that kind of spells out the differences.
It is a little dated, there are two more modes on my car, but gives us the idea.
"Hyundai system increases efficiency by keeping the system "always on," but giving the driver three different modes to choose from:

• Comfort
  • Smart
  • Sport
When you're in smart (also known as ECO) mode, power is going mostly to the front wheels, and this gives you great fuel efficiency. Sport mode is somewhere in between, splitting power 50/50 to front and rear tires. Comfort gives you the greatest degree of confidence in adverse weather conditions, putting 70$ of your power to the front and 30% to the rear wheels."
from: Hyundai All-Wheel-Drive System | Benefits and Features | in Arlington and serving Fort Worth, TX
Until, you had said something, I just thought that turning the knob to snow mode put the FWD into AWD.
Thanks for setting me straight.
For future reference: