Paint Correction and Ceramic Coat w Photos

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

chrisvanrees

Reaction score
Since I purchased a 2021 Black Palisade Calligraphy AWD, the first order of business was to get a ceramic coating. If you've never had one of these before, they are simply fantastic when professionally done. It makes cleaning SO much easier, especially on black vehicles. Anyways, I took it to get the ceramic coating done, the vehicle still had less than 100 miles on it. For those not familiar with the process, your ceramic coat will only be as good as your prep work beforehand.

Typically, the process would be something like this:

Wash
Clay Bar or Iron X (decontamination/removes solid particles)
Paint Correction (removes swirls/imperfections)
Polish
Ceramic Coat

The surprising part- the paint had a TON of swirls and was in pretty rough shape. Not sure if it came like that from the factory, or if it was from the dealer, but either way- it was surprising how much correction was needed on a brand new vehicle.

Here's a few photos of the swirls:

1.jpg 1a.jpg
1b.jpg 1c.jpg
5.jpg

Annoying, but got all the swirls corrected:

2.jpg 4.jpg
6.jpg

After the correction, a "5 Year" coating was installed. Got it home, and now the correction/gloss/polish should be locked in:

7.jpg

Anyone else get a correction and/or coating done?

willow1172

Reaction score
My Palisade
Limited
Looks great. I'm looking into getting ceramic coat myself. Whats the average cost ? Curious

chrisvanrees

Reaction score
It really depends on several factors. How much paint correction is needed? Since the Palisade was "brand new" when I brought it in, we were able to do it with a "single stage" paint correction (barely). However, swirls on one of my other cars were way worse, so that vehicle required a "two stage" paint correction. I also opted to add ceramic coat to the wheels and windshield. As the Palisade is a full size SUV, it was a little more expensive than my Corvette, even though the Corvette needed a "two stage" correction (it just takes more time and material to complete). Are you getting a 2 year, or 5 year coat (etc.)? How many coats? All of these factors can influence price.

Like anything, you can spend as much as you want on it. I think I paid $600 or $700 for my 2012 Corvette Grand Sport. I paid either $900 or $950 for my Palisade, don't remember. Price may also vary by region.

willow1172

Reaction score
My Palisade
Limited
Thank you. Was just curious if would cost 2000 dollars or near that price. Thanks again

smileyq

Reaction score
Here in Alabama I received quotes on Ceramic Coating ranging from 1299-1499. I am also considering getting PPF on the front end, the estimate for that is 1899. My question to you is if the Ceramic Coating don't protect against rock chips, etc. Will you have to get it touched up every so often and will it cost you?

chrisvanrees

Reaction score
Correct. Ceramic Coating does not provide protection against rock chips. It will provide a nice layer of protection against scratches. I view rock chips as a part of standard vehicle ownership: It's simply going to happen over time. They don't really bother me- but then again roads in Texas where I live aren't very bad and the toll roads around me are usually newer/kept up pretty well. If I received an especially nasty rock chip that did bother me, a touch-up paint pen could be used. Personal preference, but I never really liked the look of 3M clear bra or PPF. I could always see it, and it's astronomically expensive to wrap entire panels in it. It's also no fun to remove.

Over time the ceramic coat will wear away. Mine has a 5 year protection period, so after 5 years, I'd probably need to revisit getting it reapplied.

smileyq

Reaction score
I like your thoughts on the rock chips. The paint corrections helps assure there are non before you coat it. I was struggling with the cost of the clear bra (2K). You are right you can see it, though if you put the ceramic coating over it, it blends a little.

smileyq

Reaction score
I received a ceramic coating estimate of 899 (4 year warranty) using IGL Ceramic Coating. They are running a special on the 4 year, the 5 year warranty is 1299.

chrisvanrees

Reaction score
If it includes a paint correction/polish, $899 for a 4 year warranty is a good price. $400 more for a "5 year" - not a good price.

Last edited:

steelers

Reaction score
I must have been lucky..my Palisade paint ,was and is near flawless.
If it had swirls etc...I ain't gonna spend my money to fix it, back to the Dealership,and let them correct.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

chrisvanrees

Reaction score
I must have been lucky..my Palisade paint ,was and is near flawless.
If it had swirls etc...I ain't gonna spend my money to fix it, back to the Dealership,and let them correct.
The paint job itself was good. No real orange peel, etc. Good clear coat. Simply running a vehicle through a car wash will add swirls. The swirls, from a distance, generally can't be seen on a clean car... Only up close under lighting. Most people won't care, and frankly don't even know what to look for. Bringing it back to the dealer- they'd probably just run it through the wash again, haha. I'm just supremely anal about my vehicles.

steelers

Reaction score
The paint job itself was good. No real orange peel, etc. Good clear coat. Simply running a vehicle through a car wash will add swirls. The swirls, from a distance, generally can't be seen on a clean car... Only up close under lighting. Most people won't care, and frankly don't even know what to look for. Bringing it back to the dealer- they'd probably just run it through the wash again, haha. I'm just supremely anal about my vehicles.
Me also....have owned some real nice vehicles...been through it all
Just feel handing over $$$ ..for coatings and in most cases to have light swirls removed,is bucks I would notsoend..

The Big Ragu

Reaction score
Looking to get this done as well. Just bought 2 weeks ago, Black Limited. It had swirls off the lot as well. Guessing they used a automatic wash to keep the cars clean. I am in the Louisville Kentucky area and 4 year quotes have been at $1000. Have another quote for a 9 Year at $2500 including all parts of the exterior like tires, windows and plastics. Not looking to spend that kind of money though. So if anyone is in my area knowing of someone a bit more reasonable but experienced I would like to know.