Palisade AWD vibration/rumble between 65-73 mph

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

btfriend

Reaction score
Hi,

We purchased a Palisade one week ago on Friday Aug 2nd. Over the weekend while driving on the highway we noticed a very obvious shake and low sounding rumble as though we were driving on the rumble strip. The vibration begins at 65 mph and continues on through 73 mph. It can be felt in the wheel and in all of the seats. By the time you reach 80 mph it isn't really noticeable. It went into the dealers shop this past Tuesday. They had it in the shop on Tuesday morning and balanced the tires. It changed nothing in the vibration so I brought it back in. A dealer mechanic drove with us and confirmed the vibration at highway speeds. They had it all week and opened a case with Hyundai. They were told by Hyundai corporate to measure the runout of the driveshaft and said it was normal. They were instructed by Hyundai to replace the rear tires and they stated they were out of round from being strapped down during transport from South Korea. Got it back late this afternoon and the vibration/rumble is still present.

I'm putting this out there so others who experience this issue might realize it's not an isolated issue. Another poster on here said he test drove two Palisades and they both exhibited the exact same vibration at the same speeds. The dealer told him they had to replace the axles of both Palisades. When I mentioned this to our dealer's shop the manager stated he can't go by what's on the web. This has been very frustrating, purchasing a new vehicle and unable to drive it for the first week.

I hope others have better luck. This one is going back to the shop first thing Monday morning. They have one more attempt to fix this at the dealer and then I need to contact Hyundai Corporate notifying them and allow them one final chance before this can go to arbitration for the lemon law. I'm hoping they can fix this and it won't have to go that far.

jcsummer

Reaction score
Perhaps a bad wheel bearing? I had a similar problem on a 5 series BMW, although the shake was much less than you describe.

CincyTech

Reaction score
I (and about 10 others) have Tellurides that have the same exact problem. Most vibrations seem to come from the back. Never has wheel balancing worked. A dealer service found a slight bend in the "rear passenger side" axle and they sent a video (up on the rack) to Kia Techline. Kia gave permission for the dealer to replace it. They seem to be hopeful that this will work. May take a few days to get the part.

It is important that when you test drive your SUV that you run it on the highway, too. Take it up to the range from 66 to 72 mph and make sure all is smooth. That seems to be the range that this is happening at. My service manager road with me and when we came back, he reported to his staff that I was not carzy! I told him not to completely rule that out.....

CincyTech

Reaction score
Hi,

We purchased a Palisade one week ago on Friday Aug 2nd. Over the weekend while driving on the highway we noticed a very obvious shake and low sounding rumble as though we were driving on the rumble strip. The vibration begins at 65 mph and continues on through 73 mph. It can be felt in the wheel and in all of the seats. By the time you reach 80 mph it isn't really noticeable. It went into the dealers shop this past Tuesday. They had it in the shop on Tuesday morning and balanced the tires. It changed nothing in the vibration so I brought it back in. A dealer mechanic drove with us and confirmed the vibration at highway speeds. They had it all week and opened a case with Hyundai. They were told by Hyundai corporate to measure the runout of the driveshaft and said it was normal. They were instructed by Hyundai to replace the rear tires and they stated they were out of round from being strapped down during transport from South Korea. Got it back late this afternoon and the vibration/rumble is still present.

I'm putting this out there so others who experience this issue might realize it's not an isolated issue. Another poster on here said he test drove two Palisades and they both exhibited the exact same vibration at the same speeds. The dealer told him they had to replace the axles of both Palisades. When I mentioned this to our dealer's shop the manager stated he can't go by what's on the web. This has been very frustrating, purchasing a new vehicle and unable to drive it for the first week.

I hope others have better luck. This one is going back to the shop first thing Monday morning. They have one more attempt to fix this at the dealer and then I need to contact Hyundai Corporate notifying them and allow them one final chance before this can go to arbitration for the lemon law. I'm hoping they can fix this and it won't have to go that far.
If you are like most of us, you love the vehicle. But if it cannot be fixed, you do not have a choice. We all need a vehicle that works - and for the reason we purchased it. You are certainly not alone. Keep us informed!

CincyTech

Reaction score
I (and about 10 others) have Tellurides that have the same exact problem. Most vibrations seem to come from the back. Never has wheel balancing worked. A dealer service found a slight bend in the "rear passenger side" axle and they sent a video (up on the rack) to Kia Techline. Kia gave permission for the dealer to replace it. They seem to be hopeful that this will work. May take a few days to get the part.

It is important that when you test drive your SUV that you run it on the highway, too. Take it up to the range from 66 to 72 mph and make sure all is smooth. That seems to be the range that this is happening at. My service manager road with me and when we came back, he reported to his staff that I was not carzy! I told him not to completely rule that out.....
Kia dealer replaced my rear passenger side axle that was bent and that did not help.

Someone in MN had a dealer find this out: Dealer removed rear axle drive propeller shaft and then test drove it. No vibration or noise. Kia has approved replacement of shaft but dealer says no parts available.

rusty182004

Reaction score
Kia dealer replaced my rear passenger side axle that was bent and that did not help.

Someone in MN had a dealer find this out: Dealer removed rear axle drive propeller shaft and then test drove it. No vibration or noise. Kia has approved replacement of shaft but dealer says no parts available.
Could you get the case number for reference? Might help others with same issue.

CincyTech

Reaction score
Could you get the case number for reference? Might help others with same issue.
No case number but dealer is Cornerstone Kia in Elk River, MN. Should be easy to locate by your dealer on the phone. Telluride owner reported that rear drive shaft will take 2 months to arrive but Kia sent engineer to rephrase the shaft. This improved things a little. Was told OK to drive until part comes in.

Funkypoke

Reaction score
I began to notice a sound on driver’s side after about 600 miles. Seemed a noise only, that comes and goes usually in the 77 mph range. Gradually getting worse as passenger in front seat could hear it today. On return trip, at lower speed, about 73, did not hear at all. Noise only, not feeling a vibration. Not an AWD model.

rusty182004

Reaction score
i took mine in, limited awd, it’s noticeable in that 65-75mph range. i expressed the rear axle drive propeller shaft solution previously posted when i dropped the vehicle off. i received the tires with flat spots explanation and they’re on order to be replaced early next week. i’ll circle back with outcome.

tagrx

Reaction score

Hey! Sorry to hear about your bad luck,and thanks for sharing to create awareness. Question- do you have an AWD model?

Edubbiey

Reaction score
Wondering if the problem is related to not driving at variable speeds for the first 600 miles, at which point the power train is “broken in.”

btfriend

Reaction score
Hi,
The dealer replaced the front tires, that didn't fix it. Then the Hyundai tech told them to replace the main drive shaft, which is odd because during the first drop off two weeks ago they told me they measured the run out on it and told me it was well within Hyundai's specs. We drove it this morning and it was much better but still mildly noticeable between 68-72. We told the tech that it was much better, probably 80% better but was still present. We then spoke to the manager and they are going to speak with Hyundai. When we first noticed the issue in our car we had driven a second Palisade they had on the lot with their head of tech and the tech said it had the same issue as ours but not as severe. We noticed it in that vehicle as well. The dealer is contacting Hyundai corporate to see what they are going to do. I have had to take vacation time from work to deal with this issue with the car being in and out of the shop four times now so I'm hoping they can replace it with one that doesn't have the issue. Will keep this thread posted with updates.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

btfriend

Reaction score
One added point when we spoke to the sales manager. He told us that he hadn't had any issues with the other two Palisades on their lot. I told him the Limited you have out on the lot with the sold sign in the window has the exact same issue and was identified by HIS head tech when we drove it with him to compare to our vehicle. He was conspicuously silent after that comment. They sold a brand new vehicle which the head tech knew had a drive train vibration issue. Either their tech didn't communicate the issue to the manager or the manager ignored the message from the tech. In either case the behavior is outright criminal. I have also been in touch with Hyundai corporate customer service and waiting to hear back today. I have told them we don't want this vehicle back. At this point we have picked it up three times from them. The first two times I was told the issue was resolved and that they had test driven it. There was absolutely no change in the vibration. The third time we picked it up after the drive shaft replacement we saw that they had put 100 miles on it. That's one heck of a test drive, however though the vibration was much improved it was not completely gone. It still occurred between 68 and 72. This exact same issue is very prevalent over on the Telluride forum. I believe the Telluride came out a month or so before the Palisade so I think it is a just matter of time before

radiowc

Reaction score
@btfriend Are you able to capture or record those vibration you mentioned while driving between 68 and 72mph. or it is just an isolated incident. Sound hard to believe this would happened to others. I never heard about this on any other Palisade or FB forum.

btfriend

Reaction score
@radiowc, The tech at Hyundai drove with us, heard and felt the rumbling vibrations on our vehicle as well as another one they had in stock (which they then proceeded to sell unfixed), that's why they replaced the drive shaft after two previous failed attempts to fix it by changing tires and road force balancing. There are a couple of others that have reported the same issue for the Palisade on another forum. There are over twelve people and counting on a single thread who have reported the exact same issue on the Telluride forum. It appears those have been drive shaft or axle related. The Telluride and Palisade share the same drive train components. To answer someone's previous question it is an AWD model.