This is a private community!

Please register to see all of our content...

Register Log in

Palisade AWD vibration/rumble between 65-73 mph

btfriend

Reaction score
Hi,

We purchased a Palisade one week ago on Friday Aug 2nd. Over the weekend while driving on the highway we noticed a very obvious shake and low sounding rumble as though we were driving on the rumble strip. The vibration begins at 65 mph and continues on through 73 mph. It can be felt in the wheel and in all of the seats. By the time you reach 80 mph it isn't really noticeable. It went into the dealers shop this past Tuesday. They had it in the shop on Tuesday morning and balanced the tires. It changed nothing in the vibration so I brought it back in. A dealer mechanic drove with us and confirmed the vibration at highway speeds. They had it all week and opened a case with Hyundai. They were told by Hyundai corporate to measure the runout of the driveshaft and said it was normal. They were instructed by Hyundai to replace the rear tires and they stated they were out of round from being strapped down during transport from South Korea. Got it back late this afternoon and the vibration/rumble is still present.

I'm putting this out there so others who experience this issue might realize it's not an isolated issue. Another poster on here said he test drove two Palisades and they both exhibited the exact same vibration at the same speeds. The dealer told him they had to replace the axles of both Palisades. When I mentioned this to our dealer's shop the manager stated he can't go by what's on the web. This has been very frustrating, purchasing a new vehicle and unable to drive it for the first week.

I hope others have better luck. This one is going back to the shop first thing Monday morning. They have one more attempt to fix this at the dealer and then I need to contact Hyundai Corporate notifying them and allow them one final chance before this can go to arbitration for the lemon law. I'm hoping they can fix this and it won't have to go that far.

jcsummer

Reaction score
Perhaps a bad wheel bearing? I had a similar problem on a 5 series BMW, although the shake was much less than you describe.

CincyTech

Reaction score
I (and about 10 others) have Tellurides that have the same exact problem. Most vibrations seem to come from the back. Never has wheel balancing worked. A dealer service found a slight bend in the "rear passenger side" axle and they sent a video (up on the rack) to Kia Techline. Kia gave permission for the dealer to replace it. They seem to be hopeful that this will work. May take a few days to get the part.

It is important that when you test drive your SUV that you run it on the highway, too. Take it up to the range from 66 to 72 mph and make sure all is smooth. That seems to be the range that this is happening at. My service manager road with me and when we came back, he reported to his staff that I was not carzy! I told him not to completely rule that out.....

CincyTech

Reaction score
Hi,

We purchased a Palisade one week ago on Friday Aug 2nd. Over the weekend while driving on the highway we noticed a very obvious shake and low sounding rumble as though we were driving on the rumble strip. The vibration begins at 65 mph and continues on through 73 mph. It can be felt in the wheel and in all of the seats. By the time you reach 80 mph it isn't really noticeable. It went into the dealers shop this past Tuesday. They had it in the shop on Tuesday morning and balanced the tires. It changed nothing in the vibration so I brought it back in. A dealer mechanic drove with us and confirmed the vibration at highway speeds. They had it all week and opened a case with Hyundai. They were told by Hyundai corporate to measure the runout of the driveshaft and said it was normal. They were instructed by Hyundai to replace the rear tires and they stated they were out of round from being strapped down during transport from South Korea. Got it back late this afternoon and the vibration/rumble is still present.

I'm putting this out there so others who experience this issue might realize it's not an isolated issue. Another poster on here said he test drove two Palisades and they both exhibited the exact same vibration at the same speeds. The dealer told him they had to replace the axles of both Palisades. When I mentioned this to our dealer's shop the manager stated he can't go by what's on the web. This has been very frustrating, purchasing a new vehicle and unable to drive it for the first week.

I hope others have better luck. This one is going back to the shop first thing Monday morning. They have one more attempt to fix this at the dealer and then I need to contact Hyundai Corporate notifying them and allow them one final chance before this can go to arbitration for the lemon law. I'm hoping they can fix this and it won't have to go that far.
If you are like most of us, you love the vehicle. But if it cannot be fixed, you do not have a choice. We all need a vehicle that works - and for the reason we purchased it. You are certainly not alone. Keep us informed!

CincyTech

Reaction score
I (and about 10 others) have Tellurides that have the same exact problem. Most vibrations seem to come from the back. Never has wheel balancing worked. A dealer service found a slight bend in the "rear passenger side" axle and they sent a video (up on the rack) to Kia Techline. Kia gave permission for the dealer to replace it. They seem to be hopeful that this will work. May take a few days to get the part.

It is important that when you test drive your SUV that you run it on the highway, too. Take it up to the range from 66 to 72 mph and make sure all is smooth. That seems to be the range that this is happening at. My service manager road with me and when we came back, he reported to his staff that I was not carzy! I told him not to completely rule that out.....
Kia dealer replaced my rear passenger side axle that was bent and that did not help.

Someone in MN had a dealer find this out: Dealer removed rear axle drive propeller shaft and then test drove it. No vibration or noise. Kia has approved replacement of shaft but dealer says no parts available.

rusty182004

Reaction score
Kia dealer replaced my rear passenger side axle that was bent and that did not help.

Someone in MN had a dealer find this out: Dealer removed rear axle drive propeller shaft and then test drove it. No vibration or noise. Kia has approved replacement of shaft but dealer says no parts available.
Could you get the case number for reference? Might help others with same issue.

CincyTech

Reaction score
Could you get the case number for reference? Might help others with same issue.
No case number but dealer is Cornerstone Kia in Elk River, MN. Should be easy to locate by your dealer on the phone. Telluride owner reported that rear drive shaft will take 2 months to arrive but Kia sent engineer to rephrase the shaft. This improved things a little. Was told OK to drive until part comes in.

Funkypoke

Reaction score
I began to notice a sound on driver’s side after about 600 miles. Seemed a noise only, that comes and goes usually in the 77 mph range. Gradually getting worse as passenger in front seat could hear it today. On return trip, at lower speed, about 73, did not hear at all. Noise only, not feeling a vibration. Not an AWD model.

rusty182004

Reaction score
i took mine in, limited awd, it’s noticeable in that 65-75mph range. i expressed the rear axle drive propeller shaft solution previously posted when i dropped the vehicle off. i received the tires with flat spots explanation and they’re on order to be replaced early next week. i’ll circle back with outcome.