Palisade SEL Drive Guidance

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Thayford

Reaction score
The dealerships don't seem to understand these technology packages. In 2019, Bluelink was included in a much "lower" package. Certainly not the top tier package.

PALFAN

Reaction score
Ditto to Bellator-Legens. I bought the Palisade for my wife and our salesman said the SEL came with Bluelink. A week or two after we got it home my wife wanted to register it before a long trip (she wanted the emergency assistance feature but could care less about all the other Bluelink features). Long story short, after scouring the owner's manual and calling the dealer we were very surprised to learn our car did not come with Bluelink. Disappointing but overall not a big deal as we would have bought the car at the same price anyway. We were both surprised something THIS NICE doesn't automatically have Bluelink (or XM radio). At no time did the sales guy ever mention Driver's Guidance (DG) and I literally learned about it the first time now in this forum. Hyundai's website (and our dealer) were not very clear on these features. With that said, we bought the SEL with Convenience Package and Premium Package (plus Sunroof Option). Like FFEMT6's comment in this thread: it's my wife's car and I've not driven it as much as I'd like. But every time I do I'm blown away by how beautiful it drives - and the build quality. (We've not experienced the whistling noise mentioned in another thread and we have about 6k miles already.) But whether it's LKA, LFA, ACC, or whatever, the semi-autonomous driving is so cool and so nice to have. When my wife returned from her trip she just raved about it. I have a 2017 Sante Fe and the MSRPs between my car and hers is just shy of $4k. It feels more like a $25k difference so I'm fighting the urge to go get a Palisade myself. So many great features and, while not inexpensive, a great value by today's standards.

SunKing

Reaction score
I couldn’t really care less if the vehicle has its own navigation as google maps, Waze, etc all do a great job and are free plus I have unlimited data on my cell plan. I would’ve liked to have had the bigger screens and all for aesthetic reasons, but it wasn’t worth the cost and with getting the premium, convenience and sunroof options I considered pretty well loaded out. I will say I’m annoyed that it doesn’t come standard with XM radio. You generally only see that optioned in on luxury brands like BMW, MB etc so that was a real head scratcher considering you can buy an Elantra or something half as expensive and get it.

PALFAN

Reaction score
Exactly, not sure why anyone needs nav system anymore when you can just use the apps on your phone. And so weird lots of lower-end models in the market (by Hyundai or whoever) all have Sirius XM capability, but not a loaded SEL? Although I think you can download Sirius XM app on your phone and then just connect with USB?

Eric2203

Reaction score
Exactly, not sure why anyone needs nav system anymore when you can just use the apps on your phone. And so weird lots of lower-end models in the market (by Hyundai or whoever) all have Sirius XM capability, but not a loaded SEL? Although I think you can download Sirius XM app on your phone and then just connect with USB?
Well, there are reasons to want the built-in nav. For one, the built-in nav interfaces with the heads-up display. AA/CarPlay don't. It also tends to react faster than a phone to a change of direction/location. Also, a car with navigation shares its GPS data with the phone (CarPlay and AA are designed that way), while a car without it does not and must rely on the phone for positioning. It's harder for the phone to pick up a signal without an antenna on the roof from within the center console or if it's in your pocket. Everyone who wants wireless CarPlay and AA (or has it on the non-nav 2021 Palisades) should think about that... One more reason: Hyundai provides map updates that also fix bugs and add features for their nav systems. You don't get that without nav (except when they added AA/CarPlay to some older models a few years back, but that was the exception). Oh and in the case of the Palisade, getting nav gets you a bigger screen, if that's something you care about.

Don't get me wrong, a phone does a lot by itself and it's hard to justify the expense for a built-in nav if there are no other features that you want, but there are some advantages to a built-in nav that people should be aware of.

And yeah, you can download Sirius/XM to your phone, but then you're using your cell data plan to get it, and depending on where you live or drive, cellular coverage is worse than satellite coverage (which only requires line of sight). That may be OK for some, but not everyone.

Last edited:

SunKing

Reaction score
I’ve used both google maps and Waze and both had no issues responding to anything promptly. Palfan, yes you can use XM app, but it is internet only and so need to use data. I had it for a bit and it works very well.

Eric2203

Reaction score
I’ve used both google maps and Waze and both had no issues responding to anything promptly.
Depends on how you define promptly. I use Waze daily and when I make a turn, it takes a few seconds for it to react. And my actual position is a little further ahead than what the phone shows. It's something to keep in mind when you look for a specific street in an unfamiliar area with many streets close together. Perfectly manageable, of course, but a built-in nav doesn't have that kind of delay. It's just something to be aware of when using a phone.

cliffdion

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on this deal for a Palisade Caligraphy:
MSRP 50,520 , Discount 1,900, DOC 499, Registration 613, VTR 229, Sales Tax 4068.36 TOTAL 54,029.36

SunKing

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on this deal for a Palisade Caligraphy:
MSRP 50,520 , Discount 1,900, DOC 499, Registration 613, VTR 229, Sales Tax 4068.36 TOTAL 54,029.36
Seems like an ok deal for the numbers you’re showing although for me personally I’d not spend that much on this vehicle. That’s just my opinion.

Popeye

Reaction score
Nope, pretty sure this thread is about the drive guidance package on the SEL. It comes standard on the Calligraphy, so paying $50k extra for it is way overpriced.
Regardless what this thread started as being about, the post with the Total of $54,029.36 was asking about a Calligraphy.

Popeye

Reaction score
Sometimes people make a comment where they think they can get a straight answer rather than create a new thread. Happens all the time in other forums I'm in. Most people just give them a straight answer or ignore them. Not many people make a big deal about it or give snarky answers. Unless you're in a group about 1911 pistols...

PALFAN

Reaction score
Cliffdion, yeah wrong thread but I'm new to forums too and still learning. It's hard to compare across state lines due to variations in tax, dealer fees, geographic incentives, etc. I always work off a % of MSRP. My buyer's order says my "purchase price" was 7.3% off MSRP but after "dealer fees" it was really 4.9% (so effectively 5%). Other dealers were quoting me between 4.5-5.5% off MSRP (notice the midpoint?) but that was before dealer fees. Dealer fees and other non-governmental charges don't really matter since all the bs comes out in the wash (i.e., final OTD price). So at least in May 2020 in my area the best deal was around 5% off MSRP (plus taxes and governmental fees). You should be able to do better on a 2020 now that the 2021s are out. As an aside, KIA dealers in my area were asking (and getting!) $5,000 over MSRP for the Telluride! That's crazy on an already fast-depreciating asset.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!