Palisade towing capacity

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

clippedpixel

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 5,000 lbs towing capacity includes the payload? That is, you have to deduct your payload from 5,000 lbs to determine your actual towing capacity. I assume this isn't the case but wanted to be sure. I heard some manufacturers do this to inflate the towing capacity numbers.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Here are two snippets from the Owner's Manual:

"Before towing, make sure the total trailer weight, GCW (Gross Combination Weight), GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight), GAW (Gross Axle Weight ) and trailer tongue load are all within the limits."

"If your vehicle will be towing a trailer, load from your trailer will be transferred to your vehicle. Consult this manual to determine how this reduces the available cargo and luggage load capacity of your vehicle."

I have never towed a trailer, so don't know much about it, but in reading the OM it appears that one of the main consideration is the effect of the trailer tongue weight on the GCW (Gross Combination Weight), GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight), GAW (Gross Axle Weight) of the vehicle, as discussed in the owner's manual. So it may not be as simple as just the total trailer weight being reduced by the passenger weight and internal cargo weight , but the tongue weight that the trailer puts on the rear axle of the vehicle.

Refer to the Owner's manual for more detail.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Popeye

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 5,000 lbs towing capacity includes the payload? That is, you have to deduct your payload from 5,000 lbs to determine your actual towing capacity. I assume this isn't the case but wanted to be sure. I heard some manufacturers do this to inflate the towing capacity numbers.
Look at the stickers in the front driver side door jam, you'll find:
GCW (total of the trailer weight, Palisade weight and all passengers and cargo in the car),
GVW (total of the Palisade and all passengers and cargo AND tongue weight of trailer if attached) and,
GAW ( GVW weight as distributed to each axle). The GAW would need to determined at a truck scale or similar.
Total trailer weight is the trailer weight while not attached to the vehicle.
The towing capacity of the Palisade is a 5000 pound trailer IF YOU HAVE BRAKES ON THE TRAILER.
So basically, no, your vehicle payload is not deducted from your towing capacity, but may put you over the GCW or GVW.

Alan_F

Reaction score
So basically, no, your vehicle payload is not deducted from your towing capacity, but may put you over the GCW or GVW.
Although I am not an expert on this matter, it appears to me from reading the owner's manual that the tongue weight of the trailer may reduce the passenger/cargo weight in the car (to make sure that GCW or GVW is not exceeded. The tongue weight depends on how the trailer is balanced, as to how much downward force is put on the trailer hitch.

Popeye

Reaction score
The tongue weight is part of the trailer weight in the GCW. If you add it to the vehicle weight, you're subtracting it from the trailer weight. Think of it this way. All tires of both the fully loaded vehicle and trailer are on a scale at the same time. Doesn't matter where the tongue weight is, it's a total combined weight. The tongue weight will reduce the cargo capacity in the GVW though as it is included in that if you were to weigh just the vehicle on a scale with the trailer attached.

Zenar

Reaction score
They don't show the GCW on the door of the palisade. I have yet to located it.
The tongue weight affects the axle ratings as they get added to that area depending on if you have a weight distribution hitch. You pretty much need to bring the trailer and tow vehicle loaded to the weight scale and put each axle on the scale individually. WDH puts some of the tongue weight back on the trailers axles and some on the front Axles. So you have to pay attention to that as well.