This is a private community!

Please register to see all of our content...

Register Log in

Radar detector question

ABQDB

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use the cigarette lighter socket to power a radar detector? It looks like a long reach.

Dallas

Reaction score
there is a kit available to mount the detector to the rearview mirror stalk and power it from the HomeLink or other power to the mirror. I have a Bel detector that I am moving from a Nissan Armada to the Palisade; should work fine.

doo925

Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the plastic covers on the windshield that cover the wiring for the rearview mirror? I'm trying to get a power source for a radar detector and want to tap into the wiring for the mirror using tap pins.

Reaction score
Just my two cents, but use Waze. I used to carry a Valentine 1 for many years. Waze crowdsourcing data is more accurate and you get red light camera, speed traps, etc. too boot. Yeah I know you could double up. Thing is there used to be some many false posties with radar/laser detection coupled with many misses. All the modern radar and laser that's built into cars makes havoc with detectors. I know the detectors have gotten smarter too, but i think its a loosing battle.

kad68

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is interested. The last picture show the cover which needs to be removed to expose connector. Red wire is 12V, black is ground and wire opposite red is switch power (green I think).

Mount was from ebay.

IMG_20200210_175949.jpg

IMG_20200210_180034.jpg IMG_20200210_180023_v1.jpg

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

doo925

Reaction score
Mounted my Blendmount and power cord yesterday. Tapping into the rearview mirror was pretty easy once I figured out what size to use.

RTBoston

Reaction score
I looked behind that plastic panel. I didn't see any connections available for an easy tap. Am I missing something? I saw the connection of wires that were wrapped pretty tightly that power the mirror but I didn't see anything else. How are you making the hardwire connection?

*EDIT*
Nevermind. Now I understand. You plug right into the same place the wiring attaches to the plug.
Just ordered a kit. Will try to complete this weekend. Been using my OBD port but I'm not a huge fan of running power that way.

Last edited: