Recent buyers - price paid compared to MSRP ?

EMWLou

Reaction score
My Palisade
2022 Calligraphy
After being jerked around by the local Hyundai dealers I ended up buying a Subaru Ascent (their largest 3 row SUV). I am sold on Hyundai making a good product (I have a Sonata Sport Turbo, great car, and zero issues in 46K miles). I just can't see paying way over MSRP for the privilege of buying a car from price gougers. When I shopped, I was offered $25K for my low mile 2014 Ram/Cummins 4x4 trade-in, and they wanted $5K over MSRP for the Palisade. Carvana offered $36K cash for the truck and I sold it private party for $39.5K. That would have been a swing of $15K+ in their direction. I bought the Subaru for MSRP minus $500.

Enjoy your Palisade, seems like a really nice SUV!
I can't blame you for buying something else. I think its ridiculous what's going on with dealerships right now. To be fair, its not just Hyundai dealers that are guilty of gouging, its an industry wide issue at the moment. Covid and supply chain issues have impacted everything. The Palisade's popularity has increased the problem when trying to find one of them. I understand it for the most part. However, I seriously have to question what some of these dealers are doing. Its not like consumers are going to forget which dealers were over the top with price gouging. I came across at least 6 dealers that were charging $10K+ above MSRP. They call it a market adjustment. I call it being greedy SOBs. When it comes time for me to buy my next vehicle, those dealers won't even get a consideration from me. There is still such a thing as a repeat customer, and many of these dealers will be losing customers in the future because of their actions of today.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I also considered the Ascent in case I couldn't find a Calligraphy at MSRP, but just couldn't live with the 4-banger. Plus lack of ventilated front seats was an immediate deal-breaker for my wife too, since it'd be our travel car. It's a shame Subaru dropped the excellent H6 engine, instead of modernizing it. But lack of a V6 and ventilated seats killed it as an option. And the Mazda CX-9 was even worse, so basically there was no comparable vehicle left to consider. The Explorer looks and feels ultra cheap by comparison, it's more expensive, and drove like absolute crap, so not even in the radar. No wonder people are willing to pay several grand over MSRP for the top trims. I wasn't willing to do that out of principle, but maybe I'd have caved for something less outrageous, like maybe $1K over. At any rate, since I bought my Pali at MSRP (slightly below, actually, due to long trunk mat thrown in for free), a true competitor came out in the Nissan Pathfinder, now that the awful CVT was eliminated from it. The only thing you cannot get on it is ventilated seats, and maybe a little bit less luxurious looking inside, but I'd take a V6 Pathfinder over any 4-banger any day, but that's just me :).

Packard8

Reaction score
I also considered the Ascent in case I couldn't find a Calligraphy at MSRP, but just couldn't live with the 4-banger. Plus lack of ventilated front seats was an immediate deal-breaker for my wife too, since it'd be our travel car. It's a shame Subaru dropped the excellent H6 engine, instead of modernizing it. But lack of a V6 and ventilated seats killed it as an option. And the Mazda CX-9 was even worse, so basically there was no comparable vehicle left to consider. The Explorer looks and feels ultra cheap by comparison, it's more expensive, and drove like absolute crap, so not even in the radar. No wonder people are willing to pay several grand over MSRP for the top trims. I wasn't willing to do that out of principle, but maybe I'd have caved for something less outrageous, like maybe $1K over. At any rate, since I bought my Pali at MSRP (slightly below, actually, due to long trunk mat thrown in for free), a true competitor came out in the Nissan Pathfinder, now that the awful CVT was eliminated from it. The only thing you cannot get on it is ventilated seats, and maybe a little bit less luxurious looking inside, but I'd take a V6 Pathfinder over any 4-banger any day, but that's just me :).
Actually, the Ascent Touring trim has ventilated front seats standard. I agree that a turbo H6 would a treat, but the 2.4 H4 turbo has better torque at a lower RPM than the H6 did. I am pleased with the Ascent so far, and would have liked a Pali or Telluride if not for the $5K+ "market adjustment"...(complimentary vaseline not included). From the specs I've seen, the NA V6's need to wind up pretty tight to achieve their TQ numbers, the turbo H4 has a flat curve, delivering the max from 1800 to 4500, where you need it most.

You scored a great deal @ MSRP, not available in this area...enjoy!

Packard8

Reaction score
The deals that people got depend on the date when it happened, and the trim level, and to some degree on where the dealer is located.
Agree, in Oct & Nov I shopped a 3 state area (TX, OK, KS) and found that MSRP+ $5K was the norm, with as much a $10K over for a Telluride:oops:. Thanks, but no thanks. Price gougers will be remembered.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Actually, the Ascent Touring trim has ventilated front seats standard.
That's good to know; thanks. I actually meant the H6 N/A (like on the older Outbacks), just like the Pali. You typically don't see turbo 6s on that kind of vehicle (Acura, Hyundai, Honda, Nissan, etc). I don't care that they make peak TQ a little higher than a turbo 4-banger, but it's a much smoother and refined engine, and it has plenty of pep even at modest rpm too. Another thing I hate about Subarus is their freaking CVTs, but at least they programmed it like a regular transmission, to make it less annoying, so that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. But if you want 4WD (I don't), they're definitely superior than any other SUV, including the Pali... and it's standard.

By the way, with top trim new Pathfinders, I meant only not having REAR ventilated seats; it also has front ones. My daughters really liked that feature on a family trip we did in CO, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

Packard8

Reaction score
That's good to know; thanks. I actually meant the H6 N/A (like on the older Outbacks), just like the Pali. You typically don't see turbo 6s on that kind of vehicle (Acura, Hyundai, Honda, Nissan, etc). I don't care that they make peak TQ a little higher than a turbo 4-banger, but it's a much smoother and refined engine, and it has plenty of pep even at modest rpm too. Another thing I hate about Subarus is their freaking CVTs, but at least they programmed it like a regular transmission, to make it less annoying, so that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. But if you want 4WD (I don't), they're definitely superior than any other SUV, including the Pali... and it's standard.

By the way, with top trim new Pathfinders, I meant only not having REAR ventilated seats; it also has front ones. My daughters really liked that feature on a family trip we did in CO, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

Good points, and if AWD isn't on your checklist, the Pali gives you the option of FWD. Turbo 4-bangers seem to be a trend, and they aren't what they were just a few years ago. GDI+MPI injection and twin-scroll turbos make for smooth power delivery. Interestingly, Hyundai's top of the line, luxury SUVs, the Genesis GV70 & GV80 come standard with a 2.5 turbo 4, with a twin-turbo V6 optional. Pretty impressive, the 2.5t makes 300 HP and 310 TQ, and the 310 lb-ft TQ curve is flat from 1650 to 4000 RPM, the most usable range.

I am really impressed with the GV80, the GV70 is more of an AWD sports hatchback due to the smallish size. But starting at $65K and going up quickly, the GV80 can quickly become the "GV80K" when the "Market Adjustment" is factored in.

All in all, we are lucky to have so many excellent choices in full size, 3 row SUVs.(y)

elp_jc

Reaction score
Yeah, 4 bangers are almost everywhere now, and definitely MUCH better than in the past. But there's only so much you can improve them, especially when pushed. I also forgot to mention I like Subaru's boxer 4s MUCH better than typical I-4s, but it's still a lot more raucous than a 6. And yes, they're growing even larger, I assume to basically supplant all N/A V6s left in the near future, as those 2.4/2.5T now equal or exceed any typical NA V6 output... and they're cheaper to make. I don't think Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, etc., will keep their V6s in the next iteration of their vehicles. And by the same token, most NA V8s will disappear as well. Toyota/Lexus, and Hyundai/Genesis no longer offer one.

Finally, I considered the GV80, but it's too small compared to the Pali. Their 3rd seat is a joke (and not available in top trim), but I don't need one, so I'd have chosen one without it anyway. The one on my Pali only used it once, to test the motors :)... but it's there, if I ever need it. And it's actually useful for adults. When my wife saw it, she didn't even allow me to test-ride it. Ha ha. She said it'd be too small to use as a travel car, so no sense to even trying it. I did try the G80, but when I opened the trunk after the test-drive, it was an immediate deal-breaker. It's freaking tiny for such vehicle. So we ended up with the Pali, and saved at least 20 grand in the process. Ha ha.

Alan_F

Reaction score
The new Hyundai Santa Fe has a 4 cylinder 2.5L Turbo on Limited and Calligraphy trim levels, and it is quite responsive. It has 281 HP and 311 ft/lbs of torque @ 4000 RPM.

The only thing that concerns me about turbos is the reliability, but eventually they will probably figure that out and the Hyundai 10 year - 100K mile powertrain warranty helps..

Even for cars like Mercedes E Class sedans, a 4 cylinder turbo is standard.

As we all know, government mandated fuel economy requirements will be getting much stricter, and it looks like in the not too distant future EV's or at least plug-in hybrids are going to much more common. Since the Santa Fe now has plug-in hybrid model, I expect that the Palisade will get one soon.

MMMGC

Reaction score
Requested a 2022 White exterior/Black interior Calligraphy in October. Found the only dealer in the Houston area that wanted 1k over MSRP. All other dealers wanted at least 5k over.
The 1K included interior and windshield warranty for 3 years and a few other things like the all weather mats.

Packard8

Reaction score
The new Hyundai Santa Fe has a 4 cylinder 2.5L Turbo on Limited and Calligraphy trim levels, and it is quite responsive. It has 281 HP and 311 ft/lbs of torque @ 4000 RPM.

The only thing that concerns me about turbos is the reliability, but eventually they will probably figure that out and the Hyundai 10 year - 100K mile powertrain warranty helps..

Even for cars like Mercedes E Class sedans, a 4 cylinder turbo is standard.

As we all know, government mandated fuel economy requirements will be getting much stricter, and it looks like in the not too distant future EV's or at least plug-in hybrids are going to much more common. Since the Santa Fe now has plug-in hybrid model, I expect that the Palisade will get one soon.
That's the new "Smartstream" 2.5t. It has both MPI and GDI to address the issue of intake valve fouling with GDI only. It is used in various Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis models, in slightly different tunes from 281 to 300 HP. The nice thing is that 310 max torque is available from around 1650, to 4000+. The NA v6 has to wind to 5200 to develop 262 lb-ft. Not an issue for normal driving, but when towing you can expect the engine to be pretty wound up, especially up a grade. I expect the 2.5t engine would make a Santa Fe pretty peppy. They also use it in the KIA K5 GT with a 7-speed DCT trans. Lots of interesting powertrains are available today.

EMWLou

Reaction score
My Palisade
2022 Calligraphy
I paid $1500 under MSRP for 2022 Calligraphy at Brandfon Hyundai in New Haven CT. All their Palisades were discounted. This was Oct. 1. Also was able to say no to Vin etching and simonize protection. Call and ask for Amanda internet sales.
I'm glad that you got the price you wanted. However, I checked with them and they couldn't get me what I wanted. A good deal turns into a lousy deal if its not what you want. I'm paying more money, but I'm getting exactly the car I want, no compromises at all. My Palisade gets to the dealer on Sunday. I'm figuring with the holiday I'll pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm happy with that...

Packard8

Reaction score
8-speed DCT, not 7. It's a new wet-clutch one. Also on the Kia Sorento, Sonata N-line and Santa Fe, for the record.
Thanks for the correction. the 7 speed DCT is the smaller unit used in some of the small Hyundais. The 8 speed "High Torque" DCT looks like a pretty advanced unit, also used in diesel SUVs sold overseas. I saw an Aussie review "torture test" backing up a very long, steep driveway 12 times in a row in a diesel Santa Fe without overheating.

kg2403

Reaction score
Requested a 2022 White exterior/Black interior Calligraphy in October. Found the only dealer in the Houston area that wanted 1k over MSRP. All other dealers wanted at least 5k over.
The 1K included interior and windshield warranty for 3 years and a few other things like the all weather mats.
Do you mind saying which dealer you used? I’m in Texas and on the hunt

ddianag17

Reaction score
Dallas, Texas. In February, bought my Palisade Limited black on black for MSRP. They would not budge at all. I even said they can keep the roof racks for $100 off and they said no, haha. I ended up selling the roof racks for $300 on ebay later. All in all, I paid right at $50k after TTL with 0.9% financing, no money down.
Where was this?

Sameer635

Reaction score
We ordered a 2022 Silver Typhoon Limited with black interior at MSRP. We are in Illinois and our dealer thought that we might get a 2023 model in 3 to 4 months based on their current production.

Did anyone order one this month and heard the same "2023" model story?

And Yes, Every other dealer wanted atleast 3k to 5k over MSRP in my state and all neighboring states. I guess I got lucky with this dealer trying to meet their monthly sale numbers on the last day.

Alan_F

Reaction score
We ordered a 2022 Silver Typhoon Limited with black interior at MSRP. We are in Illinois and our dealer thought that we might get a 2023 model in 3 to 4 months based on their current production.

Did anyone order one this month and heard the same "2023" model story?

And Yes, Every other dealer wanted atleast 3k to 5k over MSRP in my state and all neighboring states. I guess I got lucky with this dealer trying to meet their monthly sale numbers on the last day.
If you read all the posts in this thread, you will se that a US dealer cannot order a Palisade from the Hyundai factory in Korea. The dealer can request a certain trim level and color already ordered by the US distributor (Hyundai Motor America) from Hyundai Korea months in advance, and the dealer hopes they can get that specific trim level and color allocated to them. So the "order" to delivery time can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months or more depending on a wide range of factors.

Depending on supply and demand, some customer "orders" taken by dealers at MSRP "may" be deferred by dealers if market conditions allow them to sell to other customers at several thousand above MSRP, and the dealers give all kinds of excuses for the delay. The dealer has the legal right to shift the priority of each customer "order" and place later orders (that they can sell at a higher price) ahead of older orders at a lower price.

Hopefully with the 2023 models Hyundai will be able to produce more Palisades and dealer selling prices will come down, but hard to know for sure if they can do that. The prices and features of the 2023 Palisade (a mid-cycle refresh) have not been announced.

Sameer635

Reaction score
If you read all the posts in this thread, you will se that a US dealer cannot order a Palisade from the Hyundai factory in Korea. The dealer can request a certain trim level and color already ordered by the US distributor (Hyundai Motor America) from Hyundai Korea months in advance, and the dealer hopes they can get that specific trim level and color allocated to them. So the "order" to delivery time can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months or more depending on a wide range of factors.

Depending on supply and demand, some customer "orders" taken by dealers at MSRP "may" be deferred by dealers if market conditions allow them to sell to other customers at several thousand above MSRP, and the dealers give all kinds of excuses for the delay. The dealer has the legal right to shift the priority of each customer "order" and place later orders (that they can sell at a higher price) ahead of older orders at a lower price.

Hopefully with the 2023 models Hyundai will be able to produce more Palisades and dealer selling prices will come down, but hard to know for sure if they can do that. The prices and features of the 2023 Palisade (a mid-cycle refresh) have not been announced.
Got it. Thank you very much for all the info..

The only thing I have noticed this time is that these dealers are replying to emails, calling me and willing to negotiate a little unlike 4-5 months ago. Isnt that a good sign? Hopefully the market will get better later part of this year.

Alan_F

Reaction score
Got it. Thank you very much for all the info..

The only thing I have noticed this time is that these dealers are replying to emails, calling me and willing to negotiate a little unlike 4-5 months ago. Isnt that a good sign? Hopefully the market will get better later part of this year.
From what I have seen in the last several weeks, the supply of the Palisade in the USA is improving, and hopefully that will continue. They do come in "waves" since it takes a while for ships to reach the ports of entry on each coast (Hyundai has several ports on the west coast, and several on the east coast including Gulf of Mexico) and then be transported to dealers. I don't know how often the ships arrive from Korea, but obviously not everyday and probably not even once a week.