Road noise is way too loud.

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

Irondruidoberon

Reaction score
Hello all. My wife and I were really impressed with the palisades interior and comfort. That’s the main reason for it’s purchase since we were coming from a HD GMC, and a 24 year old Nissan Maxima. However, our Palisade Calligraphy has way too much road noise. During our test drive we were on very smooth roads, but after purchase we have done several long distance drives and I am very dissatisfied with the sound proofing quality along the floor. Our 1996 Nissan Maxima as well as my 2019 GMC 2500 are significantly quieter. Not sure what to do about it yet.

SunKing

Reaction score
Probably not much other than to try a different brand of tire, or go to a smaller wheel size to give you a bigger tire. My SEL with 20” wheels doesn’t create any excessive road noise at least to my ears. You could have someone lay down some extra, or thicker sound proofing stuff, but of course that involves removing carpets and likely seats to get to it.

RTBoston

Reaction score
FWIW.... not sure how my noise compares but I prefer 35/26 cold and 38/29 hot.
Mileage has been 24-26 mpg hw. I'll take that all day.

Palisade Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all. My wife and I were really impressed with the palisades interior and comfort. That’s the main reason for it’s purchase since we were coming from a HD GMC, and a 24 year old Nissan Maxima. However, our Palisade Calligraphy has way too much road noise. During our test drive we were on very smooth roads, but after purchase we have done several long distance drives and I am very dissatisfied with the sound proofing quality along the floor. Our 1996 Nissan Maxima as well as my 2019 GMC 2500 are significantly quieter. Not sure what to do about it yet.
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. I'm glad you found us!

Gene

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
Remember the suspension in the Palisade is copied after the German cars, for the highway and handling.
They are always stiffer than the Japanese bouncy bouncy vehicles which the Telluride copied

Al1

Reaction score
I just had a Calligraphy out on a test drive on smooth and uneven road surfaces and always felt it to be on the quiet side.

Irondruidoberon

Reaction score
I just had a Calligraphy out on a test drive on smooth and uneven road surfaces and always felt it to be on the quiet side.
I think I’ll go test drive another one. I was looking under the console and noticed pretty big gaps between the carpeting and metal firewall around the steering column. Thanks for your input.

Gene

Reaction score
I think I’ll go test drive another one. I was looking under the console and noticed pretty big gaps between the carpeting and metal firewall around the steering column. Thanks for your input.
Make sure you test drive on the highway over 70 and check for wind noise
Also check for bad odors inside.

no1nhere

Reaction score
Here in the Pacific Northwest, where they allow studded tired in winter, the roads can fairly rough for very long distances. I test drove a Palisade this week and it is significantly louder than my pickup with mud tires. The difference is much worse when comparing it to our 2011 Buick Enclave which it is meant to replace. I like everything else about the vehicle, but it is so bad we will not be purchasing one. Any chance Hyundai reads these?? They are so close on this one...

elp_jc

Reaction score
Koreans have smooth roads, so they primarily pay attention to hushing wind noise... and they did a very good job with the Pali, at least my 2021 (heard of wind noise issues on older models). But yes, road noise is borderline unacceptable on a vehicle of this price IMO. On smooth roads, it's almost luxury-car quiet. But add the roughness crappy TX roads are known for, and it becomes super annoying. And the thumping from the tires is awful as well.

Finally, the tires make a big difference IMO, and that's also part of the problem, at least with the crappy Hankooks my Calligraphy came with. Plan to replace them much earlier than needed, but it won't be fun shelling a grand for tires at 15/20K miles, and potentially getting my wheels (and undercarriage) messed up with careless tire changers. Oh well. What you can do now is NOT to inflate the tires over 35 psi cold, or both the noise and ride issues worsen.

MiguelF

Reaction score
In my 69 yo. I have had dozen of cars. This Palisade is the quietest car I ever have had...along with the smoothest steering wheel.
Drawback? Slow acceleration compared with others like the old Mazda 6 cyl. no matter what mode.

Spas

Reaction score
I too get a lot of road noise - however it is not coming from the tires. What I am referring to is from the drivers side door (probably all of the doors for that matter). When it is raining outside I can hear the water noise from the lower portion of the door. It can definitely benefit from sound dampening in all of the doors.

Alan_F

Reaction score
I too get a lot of road noise - however it is not coming from the tires. What I am referring to is from the drivers side door (probably all of the doors for that matter). When it is raining outside I can hear the water noise from the lower portion of the door. It can definitely benefit from sound dampening in all of the doors.
If you are willing to spend some money on it, you could take it a custom car stereo shop, and they could probably put some sound dampening in the doors. They often do that anyway for car stereo installations when replacing the door speakers. There might be some YouTube videos on how to do it yourself, but car stereo shops have the tools and experience with removing the door panels and reinstalling them.

Spas

Reaction score
It's a pretty straight forward install. Sharkracing sells a sound damping kit for this car.