Shifter System Malfunction

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

BullittUSMC

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue. Only had the vehicle two weeks and less that 600 mile and received a shifter system malfunction error twice now. Took to dealer on Monday and they kept it for 3 days. Ended up reinstalling/upgrading all software and replaced the shifter. Hoping that will be the fix. Pretty frustrating for being a brand new car. I can accept it and hope for the best but wife is beyond pissed, lol. Wanted to see if anyone else had this issue at all, thanks!

Attachments

• 431086E7-3B95-402F-821E-2D00474FD29C.jpeg
    431086E7-3B95-402F-821E-2D00474FD29C.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 57
  • A967F5B8-7C75-4C07-A930-DBEE99976967.jpeg
    A967F5B8-7C75-4C07-A930-DBEE99976967.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 58

RTBoston

Reaction score
Happened to a bunch of people. Easy fix at the dealership... but could have been caught before leaving the first time. It is frustrating.

BullittUSMC

Reaction score
Happened to a bunch of people. Easy fix at the dealership... but could have been caught before leaving the first time. It is frustrating.

The dealer said they have never seen that before. The dealer said they have never seen that before. What was the easy fix?

Last edited:

bowdointm

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue. Only had the vehicle two weeks and less that 600 mile and received a shifter system malfunction error twice now. Took to dealer on Monday and they kept it for 3 days. Ended up reinstalling/upgrading all software and replaced the shifter. Hoping that will be the fix. Pretty frustrating for being a brand new car. I can accept it and hope for the best but wife is beyond pissed, lol. Wanted to see if anyone else had this issue at all, thanks!

Yes, I have had the same thing happen. Taking it in tomorrow to see what is wrong. I was in reverse and was trying to put it in drive. It would not do anything and parking break came on. Tried to release it and finally had to turn off the car. Thank goodness I was in my workplace parking lot.

BullittUSMC

Reaction score
Yes, I have had the same thing happen. Taking it in tomorrow to see what is wrong. I was in reverse and was trying to put it in drive. It would not do anything and parking break came on. Tried to release it and finally had to turn off the car. Thank goodness I was in my workplace parking lot.

I took mine into the dealership and they contacted Hyundai Engineering who advised to replace the shifting component. They did the replacement and haven't had any issues since.

bowdointm

Reaction score
They did an update on mine and had a recall on something else. Everything working like it should be now!

SunKing

Reaction score
So for any possible, and hopefully not, future incident we’re you able to get it into gear at all to at least drive to dealership or was it just locked up needing a tow? Did the software update cure it?

G

G-242418

I have had this same issue multiple times, dealership did a software update and I had it happen again. I am not happy. Going back to the dealership tomorrow.

G

G-206538

I just had this same issue tonight. Started the car, went to put it in reverse and it wouldn't go, then gave me the error. It wouldn't let my even out it back in park until I turned the car off and restarted it. I read in another forum of it happening to several people.

SDD

Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen 1800 miles on a 2020 Palisade stuck in the middle of the road with gear selector stuck in reverse warning lights saying service immediately. waiting for a call back from the dealer was on hold for 1 hour with Bluelink finally gave up. I will update after talking with the dealer.

SDD

Reaction score
It in the shop at the dealership 3 had never heard of the problem. Hyundia customer care said find a dealership that had worked on the problem no one in Seattle has seen this so I took it to the closest one. I showed him these forum pictures and responses which were a great help. Help is on the way the tech said. We will see gave me a 2021 sonata to use. Updates as they come in.

MBS25

Reaction score
I don’t have a palisade but my 2020 sonata is having the same issue. I’ve had it at the dealership 5 times now. They replaced sensors and the shifter pad a few months ago. It was good til last week and it started doing it again. They keep telling me they’ve never seen this before and Hyundai doesn’t know what’s wrong either. This is super frustrating. Has anyone had long term success with their fix?

sjones72678

Reaction score
So for any possible, and hopefully not, future incident we’re you able to get it into gear at all to at least drive to dealership or was it just locked up needing a tow? Did the software update cure it?
Just happened for the 4th time to my wife this morning. I know it sets off a little panic, but if it happens just set the parking brake and turn off the ignition and wait for about 15 seconds it seems to reset it. then restart the engine and it should shift into gear. don't forget to release the parking brake after. If you are backing into the street when it happens maybe put the hazard lights on while you try these steps.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
G

G-270663

I don’t have a palisade but my 2020 sonata is having the same issue. I’ve had it at the dealership 5 times now. They replaced sensors and the shifter pad a few months ago. It was good til last week and it started doing it again. They keep telling me they’ve never seen this before and Hyundai doesn’t know what’s wrong either. This is super frustrating. Has anyone had long term success with their fix?
My 2020 Sonata did it this morning and I think it did it a few weeks ago as well when my husband drove it, but he didn't really read the message, just turned off the car and turned it back on and it worked. When I saw it this morning, I took a picture of the message and had to turn the car off and back on again. I have an appointment with the dealership on Friday. Hopefully they get it fixed. They're not sure what's caused it.

Lordug

Reaction score
Bought a 2021 Palisade. I have 5700 miles on it and car is 8 months old. I got the shifter malfunction message while putting the car into reverse to pull out of my garage. The car would not go into reverse. I ended up shutting the car off and turning it back on and then the car went into reverse. Took the vehicle to the dealership yesterday and they hadn’t heard of this problem. I am thankful for your forum and will show the dealer your messages. I hope this will give them some ideas on what to do with this problem. Thank you

elp_jc

Reaction score
Oh man, I was hoping it was just a 2020 issue, and BAM!, the last post is from a 2021. Geez. Ha ha. Hey, may I ask you what's your build date? Hopefully an early one, and Hyundai already resolved whatever issue it is. I was hoping the issue was when parking the SUV on an incline without the parking brake, and that the parking pawl just got stuck. But that's not the problem; it's going from R to D. Wish we had the Telluride shift lever instead, but not the end of the world. Hope new SUVs won't have this problem. But at least I know it's a potential issue, in case it happens. Thanks gang.