• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Palisade owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Shifter System Malfunction

Lordug

Reaction score
Oh man, I was hoping it was just a 2020 issue, and BAM!, the last post is from a 2021. Geez. Ha ha. Hey, may I ask you what's your build date? Hopefully an early one, and Hyundai already resolved whatever issue it is. I was hoping the issue was when parking the SUV on an incline without the parking brake, and that the parking pawl just got stuck. But that's not the problem; it's going from R to D. Wish we had the Telluride shift lever instead, but not the end of the world. Hope new SUVs won't have this problem. But at least I know it's a potential issue, in case it happens. Thanks gang.
Not sure what the build date is but waited for it to come in to the dealer and received it in August of 2020

elp_jc

Reaction score
Not sure what the build date is but waited for it to come in to the dealer and received it in August of 2020
Thank you. Glad to hear, since it has to be a very early 2021, so hopefully Hyundai fixed it on the newest ones already. I guess we'll find out. The one I test drove like 3 weeks ago had a 02/21 build date, so they're probably 03/21 by now. Take care.

Lordug

Reaction score
i was able to get it into gear and I drove it straight to the dealership. It is currently there. They are going to check with the Hyundai corporation to see how they want to fix it. I requested a software update and to change out the shifter. Will update after I get the car back.

Lordug

Reaction score
i was able to get it into gear and I drove it straight to the dealership. It is currently there. They are going to check with the Hyundai corporation to see how they want to fix it. I requested a software update and to change out the shifter. Will update after I get the car back.
The dealership had my vehicle for a week and they replaced the shifter. Fingers crossed for no future incidents with the car.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Guess Hyundai is new to shift-by-wire. I haven't heard of any issues with ZF trannies, or any of the other major manufacturers (Aisin, etc). Wonder what's the exact issue, since they're breaking with hardly any miles on them. Does anybody know where exactly is the actuator? Just curious. Thx. But wherever it is, it should be a relatively easy fix, as far as dismantling goes :).

G

G-883885

Just happened for the 4th time to my wife this morning. I know it sets off a little panic, but if it happens just set the parking brake and turn off the ignition and wait for about 15 seconds it seems to reset it. then restart the engine and it should shift into gear. don't forget to release the parking brake after. If you are backing into the street when it happens maybe put the hazard lights on while you try these steps.
This was very helpful just happened to us again and we have had the shifter replaced and software update just two weeks ago. 2021 Palisade

Gene

Reaction score
Sounds like what happens when you don't have the seat belt buckled.
Start your Palisade on an incline. try to put in reverse without the seat belt
on and see what happens. Nothing

Alan_F

Reaction score
Sounds like a software problem with the electronic shift control, especially since shutting off the car and restarting seems to fix it.

Gene

Reaction score
It's a feature and should do that without seat belt, unless you take the brake off

Lordug

Reaction score
Had the shifter malfunction warning pop up again on 2021 palisade. Had the shifter replaced at 5500 miles with the same problem and now have 16600 and had the same warning. Service immediately it says. Tried to put the car in reverse and it went to neutral and nothing I did could get it to go into gear. I shut the car off and the warning came on because it was in neutral. When the car restarted it then went into reverse and park. Very frustrating and now have to wait a month to get in to the dealer.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Man, that must be frustrating. May I ask if there was a reason for that, like an accident, or a fix that involved tearing into the console? Curious what the problem could be. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues, at least not yet. Just nuisances, like if you put the car in gear with door open, it goes to neutral, and crap like that. By the way, the 2nd time you put it in gear, it actually goes into gear, but squawking at you all the time. Ha ha.

Lordug

Reaction score
Man, that must be frustrating. May I ask if there was a reason for that, like an accident, or a fix that involved tearing into the console? Curious what the problem could be. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues, at least not yet. Just nuisances, like if you put the car in gear with door open, it goes to neutral, and crap like that. By the way, the 2nd time you put it in gear, it actually goes into gear, but squawking at you all the time. Ha ha.
No accident at all. I baby my car. They replaced the gear shift the first time and did nothing to the console. My navigation has also stopped talking to me so they are going to take a look at both issues. Maybe computer or software issues? Good news is that if you shut the car off and restart, that seems to correct the problem. I bought this car with the intent on keeping it and purchased the 10 year extended warranty so hopefully we can get this issue fixed. If not, I will be trading it in.

jamylakayy

Reaction score
No accident at all. I baby my car. They replaced the gear shift the first time and did nothing to the console. My navigation has also stopped talking to me so they are going to take a look at both issues. Maybe computer or software issues? Good news is that if you shut the car off and restart, that seems to correct the problem. I bought this car with the intent on keeping it and purchased the 10 year extended warranty so hopefully we can get this issue fixed. If not, I will be trading it in.
Hey has there been an update on your car? My 2022 Hyundai Sonata NLine has been in the shop since December of last year for the same issue. Nothing has been able to fix it so far, They’ve tried replacing harness, Sensor, and Fully Transmission but nothing has worked so far..

G

G-745880

Hey has there been an update on your car? My 2022 Hyundai Sonata NLine has been in the shop since December of last year for the same issue. Nothing has been able to fix it so far, They’ve tried replacing harness, Sensor, and Fully Transmission but nothing has worked so far..
I took it in to the dealership and they did nothing. They told they couldn’t replicate the problem so they weren’t doing anything. I guess I have to video it next time it happens. I called Hyundai corporation and asked them about it. They told me to take it to a different dealer if I don’t like how the dealer handled it. So short answer, nothing has been done. I think I am trading it in this summer and getting something else. I don’t want constant problems.

Lordug

Reaction score
i took my car to the dealership and they did nothing. They told me that because they could not replicate the shifter malfunction issue that they would do nothing. I guess I have to record it next time with my phone in order to get them to do something. I called Hyundai corporation to ask them about it. They told me that if I didn’t like the dealer that I took my car to then go to a different dealer. I am beyond disappointed in how Hyundai is handling this. I will be trading my car in this summer.