Spare tire

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

G

G-826583

Can the donut spare be replaced with a regular size tire? Will it fit in the allotted spot?

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
Can the donut spare be replaced with a regular size tire? Will it fit in the allotted spot?
You could in theory, but it would sacrifice ground clearance and aesthetics.

For example, here is what a Telluride looks like with a normal-width tire mounted underneath. The story would be the same for the Palisade. Guess it is your decision what your priorities are.

1610138686614.jpeg

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Zenar

Reaction score
not sure why you would want that the spare is a decent tire, do you get that many flats?

Alan_F

Reaction score
not sure why you would want that the spare is a decent tire, do you get that many flats?
I am not necessarily recommending that Palisade owners carry a full size spare (due to the fact it cuts road clearance a bit), but having had a flat tire when I was on a long trip away from home, and carrying a fairly full load, a full size spare would have benefits. The Owner's Manual says to never run the donut spare more than 50 MPH and only limited number of miles, and definitely not for use while towing or a with heavy cabin load.

One other thing is that those donut spares are supposed to be inflated to 60 PSI according to the Owner's Manual (and should say that on the tire), but they don't hold that pressure in storage very well even when just stored under the vehicle (compared to a full size tire that only needs to be inflated to about 35 PSI). When I once had a flat during a trip a long way from home, I put on the donut spare and had to drive about 100 miles to get the flat tire fixed. I was shocked to find out that the PSI on my donut spare was only 30 PSI, when it was supposed to be 60, and I didn't find that out until after I had already driven 100 miles on the donut. Since then, every time I check my donut spare, it has lost a significant amount of pressure.