Steering wheel noise

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Triplemlandscaping

Reaction score
My Palasade has about 8000 miles on it. Is anyone else having some squeak or rubbing sound coming from the steering wheel when it is turned? It sounds like leather against leather. It just started and sounds like I'm riding a horse with a leather saddle.

hgm777

Reaction score
I have just over 6000 Km in Canada and I first noticed the same noise after turning off the radio. I think the radio had masked it all this time just like the wind noise coming from the front door pillars I now notice more s without the radio playing.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

rcsimon

Reaction score
My steering column is being replaced when the part comes in. I think the noise is coming from the clockwork. So I don't know why they would have to replace the whole thing.

Happycamper

Reaction score
My wife's Palisade started doing this about 3 weeks ago. She first thought it was the tires on the cement floor of the garage, but its doing it everywhere. we too think the radio was masking this for a period of time. I plan on booking it in the shop soon.

G

G-246727

My Palasade has about 8000 miles on it. Is anyone else having some squeak or rubbing sound coming from the steering wheel when it is turned? It sounds like leather against leather. It just started and sounds like I'm riding a horse with a leather saddle.
Same here. Did you ever find out why?

Happycamper

Reaction score
Yes the clock spring was defective. It is in the steering wheel. They changed it and now more problems
Just had wifey’s Palisade looked at by the dealership. They report that there’s a bulletin out on this issue of noise from behind the steering on the column. It says to replace the worm gear. It’s on back order, will follow up if it fixes the issue. (Canada) if that matters.

Stocker

Reaction score
I just started having this issue, but the Dealership said the worm spring is on back order and wont be able to get it until the end of the month beginning of Nov. I wish they told me this last week instead of leaving my Pali there to wait for them to find when they can get the part in.

Laura

Reaction score
me too and said it was ordered... I asked what the part for for and they said they didn't know so I told them to educate themselves and then let me know and then we will both know..... I found this site more helpful they the dealer.. I will be looking at other dealers in the area from now on. thank you everyone!

Does anyone know why mice or rats are eating the sound barrier insulation just below the inside of the engine on the drivers side? I was told it was sound dampening and thats all is does and they dont want to replace it... they said its not under warranty anyway a rat at it.

I said seems to me if it was put in the car it was for a reason and I want to know why and how much is it to replace and he didn't like me telling him that either.

rcsimon

Reaction score
In vehicle steering systems a clock spring or clockspring is a spiral-wound special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems.

If it was me I would find another service department if they don't know about basic parts and operations. What would happen if they were up against something more specialized or unique to the Palisade?

Al F

Reaction score
me too and said it was ordered... I asked what the part for for and they said they didn't know so I told them to educate themselves and then let me know and then we will both know..... I found this site more helpful they the dealer.. I will be looking at other dealers in the area from now on. thank you everyone!

Does anyone know why mice or rats are eating the sound barrier insulation just below the inside of the engine on the drivers side? I was told it was sound dampening and thats all is does and they dont want to replace it... they said its not under warranty anyway a rat at it.

I said seems to me if it was put in the car it was for a reason and I want to know why and how much is it to replace and he didn't like me telling him that either.
The clock spring is called that because it resembles the winding spring from clocks of old. A cord or strap winds/unwinds on the clock spring as you turn the steering wheel from side to side.
The purpose of the cord or strap is to maintain a circuit connection of all the button functions on your steering wheel with the computer.

Al F

Reaction score
The clock spring is called that because it resembles the winding spring from clocks of old. A cord or strap winds/unwinds on the clock spring as you turn the steering wheel from side to side.
The purpose of the cord or strap is to maintain a circuit connection of all the button functions on your steering wheel with the computer.
Whoops.....rcsimon beat me to it while I was still typing.