Timing Belt or chain

FFEMT6

Reaction score
I believe I read something that said chain, but not 100%. I hope that is right.

FFEMT6

Reaction score
Thanks. Can anyone confirm?
Upon closer inspection of the owner's maintenance schedule, it appears I was wrong. While it clearly has no set mileage/duration to replace the drive belt, the fine print at the bottom indicates it is a belt and not a chain. Kind of disappointing.

Attachments

• 20200221_131626.jpg
    20200221_131626.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 41

saxman242

Reaction score
Upon closer inspection of the owner's maintenance schedule, it appears I was wrong. While it clearly has no set mileage/duration to replace the drive belt, the fine print at the bottom indicates it is a belt and not a chain. Kind of disappointing.
Just because it has a drive belt doesn't mean it doesn't have a timing chain. Drive belt is what typically drives the accessories (a/c, ps pump, alternator). This is different than a timing belt/chain.

FFEMT6

Reaction score
Just because it has a drive belt doesn't mean it doesn't have a timing chain. Drive belt is what typically drives the accessories (a/c, ps pump, alternator). This is different than a timing belt/chain.
Oh, then your telling me there's a chance!! Lol.

Alan_F

Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

"The Hyundai Lambda engine family is the company's modern all-aluminum V6 engine. All versions of this engine use a timing chain."​

The external rubber drive belts that run the AC compressor, water pump, alternator, etc are different than the internal timing chain which controls the valves, etc.

Eric2203

Reaction score
However the Palisade works on the "Atkinson," cycle

Sort of. The Palisade version of that engine has CVVT and CVVD (a Hyundai thing where the D means "duration"). It allows the engine to switch between Atkinson and Otto cycle depending on what's needed. It's actually pretty cool.

FFEMT6

Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

"The Hyundai Lambda engine family is the company's modern all-aluminum V6 engine. All versions of this engine use a timing chain."​

The external rubber drive belts that run the AC compressor, water pump, alternator, etc are different than the internal timing chain which controls the valves, etc.
Great news, thank you.

EddieT

Reaction score
So are we 100% that the Palisade does, in fact, have a Timing Chain? Thanks to all for the research and insight.

FFEMT6

Reaction score
So are we 100% that the Palisade does, in fact, have a Timing Chain? Thanks to all for the research and insight.
It seems that way, but next time I am at my dealership service center, I will try and confirm. If anyone would know, I hope they would.

love2rv

Reaction score
I don't see a timing chain or timing belt service in my service interval documentation. Does that mean its life of the engine and no service required at specific intervals?

Alan_F

Reaction score
I don't see a timing chain or timing belt service in my service interval documentation. Does that mean its life of the engine and no service required at specific intervals?
It means no service required during the period that is covered by the schedule. Timing chains (as opposed to belts) usually last a very long time, so I would not worry about it. It would be very expensive to replace it.

NewPalisade1

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Palisade has a timing Belt or chain?
Timing will always be done through a chain. A belt will never be used in timing because of the chance of slippage or breakage...if that were to happen, it could be catastrophic, especially with modern interference engines.

NewPalisade1

Reaction score
Belts are used for timing all the time, even on modern interference engines. Yah, most companies are moving to timing chains, but that doesn't change that there are tons of engines out there using timing belts.
Oh wow, that's crazy... I'll be sure to stay away from those