Traffic and Weather alerts not working-

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

IanP

Reaction score
Good afternoon: I wonder if someone can help me with this, I briefly for a couple of hours since I picked up my Palisade Ultimate last Friday was able to view traffic alerts. Weather widget does not work either. I understand both these features are HD Radio driven. I live in Ottawa Canada and we have HD stations as well as Sirius XM. As you can see from the screen shots beside the blue tooth symbol is a faint circular arrow. For a couple of hours since I took delivery of the vehicle there was an HD symbol there and traffic alerts worked(Nav Screen1). Nav screen2 shows the message when I choose traffic from the screen. Screen shot Weather1 shows the message when the weather widget tries to load. Has any one else experienced this? Please share your solution or ideas as to how I may activate the traffic and weather alerts. Thanks

Attachments

• Nav screen1.jpg
    Nav screen1.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Nav screen2.jpg
    Nav screen2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 56
  • weather1.jpg
    weather1.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 56

Eric2203

Reaction score
Good afternoon: I wonder if someone can help me with this, I briefly for a couple of hours since I picked up my Palisade Ultimate last Friday was able to view traffic alerts. Weather widget does not work either. I understand both these features are HD Radio driven. I live in Ottawa Canada and we have HD stations as well as Sirius XM. As you can see from the screen shots beside the blue tooth symbol is a faint circular arrow. For a couple of hours since I took delivery of the vehicle there was an HD symbol there and traffic alerts worked(Nav Screen1). Nav screen2 shows the message when I choose traffic from the screen. Screen shot Weather1 shows the message when the weather widget tries to load. Has any one else experienced this? Please share your solution or ideas as to how I may activate the traffic and weather alerts. Thanks
Are you tuned to a HD radio that carries this type of data? I don't think they all do.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

IanP

Reaction score
I'll check by tuning in to an HD broadcast, however I don't think you have to be tuned into a particular broadcast for it to work. My 2012 Veracruz had an Alpine nav setup and while it was HD compatible I very rarely tuned into HD stations(Sirius Xm excepted) and I received alerts as I was driving.

Eric2203

Reaction score
I'll check by tuning in to an HD broadcast, however I don't think you have to be tuned into a particular broadcast for it to work. My 2012 Veracruz had an Alpine nav setup and while it was HD compatible I very rarely tuned into HD stations(Sirius Xm excepted) and I received alerts as I was driving.
The use of HD Radio for traffic data on Hyundai cars started in 2017 (see below). I actually also own a 2012 Hyundai (a Sonata, not a Veracruz) and it gets its traffic data from Sirius/XM, not HD radio. By the way, Sirius/XM is satellite, not HD radio (which is broadcast on AM and FM frequencies). And I believe you have to subscribe to XM to get the traffic data. So your experience would be different in the Palisade anyway since it uses a different technology to get the data.

I believe you do have to be tuned to a station that broadcasts this type of data. It is basically extra info sent by the radio you're tuned to. If you tune to a different one, you basically lose that data (and the station itself of course!).

I posted the following on another forum, because your question comes up often. Item #1 is where I got the 2017 date from.

1. Hyundai partnered with the Broadcaster Traffic Consortium (BTC) for weather and traffic data. Source: http://www.insideradio.com/free/hyu...cle_42fa8e26-ad14-11e6-836b-8f5509111955.html

2. That consortium has a website that hasn't been updated in years. You can go there for map coverage, but it's clearly out of date. The website is http://www.radiobtc.com/

3. The BTC represents multiple radio groups in the US and Canada. It's impossible to find out who, since the website is so outdated. I do find press releases alluding to 23 groups being part of the consortium. Personal experience: I get data when listening to HD FM radios that are part of the iHeartMedia group (formerly Clear Channel) in my area of the country.

4. The BTC has nothing to do with the traffic and weather data itself. It acts as a representative for all the radio groups. And the BTC has an agreement with a company called HERE (formerly a Nokia company, and Navteq before that). They're the ones providing the data to the radios in the BTC. And HERE does provide a coverage map (although that assumes there is a radio station that is part of the BTC in the areas where they do have coverage): https://coverage.here.com/

TL;DR version: check https://coverage.here.com/ to see if there's weather and traffic data coverage in your area. Clearly many areas in the country are not covered. That explains why the Palisade manual states that these features only work in some areas. And keep in mind that you have to be tuned to a radio station that carries that data (at least, that's my understanding), even in an area that has coverage.

IanP

Reaction score
Thank you, very informative. I keep discovering new features such as I started up my Palisade without my seatbelt on and discovered the vehicle wouldn't move, felt like the electric parking brake ws on.

Eric2203

Reaction score
Thank you, very informative. I keep discovering new features such as I started up my Palisade without my seatbelt on and discovered the vehicle wouldn't move, felt like the electric parking brake ws on.
I hear you. By the way, I think that you can release the parking brake manually if your seatbelt isn't on and you will be able to drive without wearing your seatbelt. Not that you'd want to... right? lol

Decoguys

Reaction score
You do not have to tuned to a HD Radio station to get the data, there just has to be an HD Radio station in your area that is broadcasting the data. if there isn't one in the area then you do not get the weather data (like your picture shows). I did read somewhere that after you apply the newest map update (13.5 ) then if there is no HD data it will display the current temp as is displayed on the left hand side of the dash display. I have not applied the newest map update yet.

IanP

Reaction score
I haven't applied the latest map update as my vin isn't yet on the suppliers system. I have only had the vehicle for 6 days and apparently it takes several weeks before it is entered on their system.

Eric2203

Reaction score
You do not have to tuned to a HD Radio station to get the data, there just has to be an HD Radio station in your area that is broadcasting the data. if there isn't one in the area then you do not get the weather data (like your picture shows). I did read somewhere that after you apply the newest map update (13.5 ) then if there is no HD data it will display the current temp as is displayed on the left hand side of the dash display. I have not applied the newest map update yet.
Can you clarify how that works? How can the unit get data from another radio station if you're already tuned to one that does not carry the weather/traffic data?

Decoguys

Reaction score
The headend does it in the background. I have never tuned to, or listened to a HD radio station in this vehicle and the weather work fine in my Palisades. I have seen it switch from one city to another while driving and listening to XM at the time.

Eric2203

Reaction score
The headend does it in the background. I have never tuned to, or listened to a HD radio station in this vehicle and the weather work fine in my Palisades. I have seen it switch from one city to another while driving and listening to XM at the time.
OK thanks. I'll try it. But to be fair, when you're listening to XM, your HD radio tuner is not in use, so it make sense that it could be getting data in the background. Either from the last frequency is was tuned to last time you used it, or maybe they sweep frequencies in the background when you're not using it. A true test would be to tune to a radio that doesn't carry that data and see what happens to the data.

IanP

Reaction score
I spoke with Siriusxm concerning their Traffic Alert offerings. For about $6.99 per month traffic alerts and as I understand weather conditions would work with the Palisade's Nav system. Have any of my fellow Canadian owners of a Palisade with Nav had any experience with the Siriusxm Traffic alert? Also does any owner near Ottawa receive traffic/weather alerts from the numerous local HD stations?

IanP

Reaction score
Apparently Sirius's Traffic alert does not yet work with Palisade Ultimate nav system. I spent awhile at the dealer with Sirius xm on the phone. Also I am a long time subscriber but with the new setup the 3 month intro does not include traffic alerts. I had a tech initiate a "case" to Hyundai Canada to try and determine why the HD radio stations HD data doesn't work. I'd rather the HD radio work as it doesn't cost anything whereas Sirius xm would charge me $6.99/mth

IanP

Reaction score
Finally I was able to download the Nav update from Mapcare. First change I noticed is that I still don't receive traffic alerts, and weather alerts. I notice however that on the map screen in nav that there is a greyed out HD radio button left of center. Installing the update was quite easy and took less than 1 hour.

Eric2203

Reaction score
Finally I was able to download the Nav update from Mapcare. First change I noticed is that I still don't receive traffic alerts, and weather alerts. I notice however that on the map screen in nav that there is a greyed out HD radio button left of center. Installing the update was quite easy and took less than 1 hour.
Yes, that is one of the changes: when it doesn't receive HD Radio traffic, you now get that icon. You should have seen a PDF with the full list of changes on Mapnsoft website when you downloaded the update. Here it is again just in case: https://storage.googleapis.com/hma_mapcare_download/v13.5/pdf/HMA_New_Map_Features_135U5W.pdf

IanP

Reaction score
Update on missing traffic alerts and weather information. My service advisor at the dealership opened a case with Hyundai Canada in November. Heard back from Hyundai Canada stating they are aware of the problem and are working on it. On Dec. 9 Hyundai responded that they are still working on it. Should any one else from Canada having the same problem it perhaps would be helpful if your dealer also opened a case. Love the car.

G

G-284072

I noticed that according to this linkhttps://www.hyundai.com/in/en/hyundai-story/technology/blue-link
traffic alerts are supposed to com from the Blue link app. I spoke with Blue Link Canada and this feature along with several others has not yet been implemented. Apparently the team is working on it. One of the features is an automatic door unlock when you approach your car with Blue Link Installed cell phone. App response times will have to dramatically improve if it is wifi based, Bluetooth app addition would likely be much faster.

IanP

Reaction score
My wife and I left on a trip to Florida a few days ago. Somewhere outside of Syracuse the weather and traffic alerts started working. As we proceeded to Naples the alerts would be ok near large metro areas> Now I know it is not a hardware problem. It is odd that these alerts are not working in Ottawa.

Eric2203

Reaction score
My wife and I left on a trip to Florida a few days ago. Somewhere outside of Syracuse the weather and traffic alerts started working. As we proceeded to Naples the alerts would be ok near large metro areas> Now I know it is not a hardware problem. It is odd that these alerts are not working in Ottawa.
Maybe there are no HD radios that carry weather data in Ottawa? Know anyone else with a Palisade in Ottawa, who could check?