Warm air from vents when climate is off

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

Roman

Reaction score
Noticed recently on my 2020 Limited that if climate is completely off, warm air is blowing from the vents and it does it in the direction last selected (in my case it's downward + windshield as that's what Auto usually does). Does anyone else noticed it? I have a thought that it could be related to the "Defogging" feature being on, but I haven't tried to switch it off yet.

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
My Palisade
2020 Palisade Limited
Noticed recently on my 2020 Limited that if climate is completely off, warm air is blowing from the vents and it does it in the direction last selected (in my case it's downward + windshield as that's what Auto usually does). Does anyone else noticed it? I have a thought that it could be related to the "Defogging" feature being on, but I haven't tried to switch it off yet.
Is this when you are parked? Or moving? There is always going to be air flowing (though not like a fan is on) when the car is moving. If it is warm outside, then likely the air would be a similar temperature.

I cannot think of a good situation for having the climate completely off, though... I always have my temp chosen and auto enabled. Let the car do the work!

Roman

Reaction score
Is this when you are parked? Or moving? There is always going to be air flowing (though not like a fan is on) when the car is moving. If it is warm outside, then likely the air would be a similar temperature.

I cannot think of a good situation for having the climate completely off, though... I always have my temp chosen and auto enabled. Let the car do the work!
It regardless whether I'm moving or parked. I usually prefer open windows to climate when it's around 64-74F (18-23C) outside. So I've tried it a couple of weeks ago and was surprised when I felt a warm air smell (there's a distinct smell of heating element in the air). And it was way warmer than outside air. I even stopped and got out of the car and checked the leg vents to make sure it blows from there. I know when car is moving ventilation can push an outside air thought the system, but a) none of my cars did it before with climate off and b) even if it would work this way, it should have been same temp as outside.

SunKing

Reaction score
This is just spitballing, but try having AC on recirculated then turn AC off. Wondering if it matters having recirc or outside air flow set. if that’s not helping I don’t know. I’d just take it for service.

scadballs

Reaction score
Yes!!! I totally noticed this after one week of driving. In MN now have had heat and ac on. My Audi never did this. Mine is warm too but then I changed to ac then turned off then blew cooler air. Kind of annoying haven’t tried the recirculate air button and yes I understand there’s always heat or air pushing through but haven’t noticed this happening in a decade or two on any of my cars. Wasn’t that an old car thing??

SunKing

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think you’d get any air pushing through if it was off and I’ve not noticed this. I’d go visit the service department and check with them.

G

G-273861

I have this happened as well. I rarely turn air on as I prefer to open sun roof. While driving with air on Off I can feel heat coming out of vents. I have to have the air circulation on for it to stop. Today it is 62 degrees out & it happened

Roman

Reaction score
I did some research on the issue and it seems like it goes way back to 2010-ish with many Hyundai, Kia and Genesis models. Based on this I assume it's just the way Hyundai designs its climate control systems. Strange that there are not that many complaints about this issue on the Internet. Seems like too few people open windows/sunroofs vs just using climate.

Jthorsland

Reaction score
Turn climate control on, turn temperature all the way down, wait a minute and then turn climate control off. I’ve had this happen too and that seems to solve the problem.

Gene

Reaction score
If you turn the auto off the palisade will still blow air if you don't check the manual controls
Turn the fan off and set the temp low with the manual controls
According to the manual page 3-178. even with the climate control off switch is pressed
you can still control if the outside air intake is active can still get air flow unless recirculate is pressed
and you can still change the modes, where the air will come out

Last edited:
Reaction score
It regardless whether I'm moving or parked. I usually prefer open windows to climate when it's around 64-74F (18-23C) outside. So I've tried it a couple of weeks ago and was surprised when I felt a warm air smell (there's a distinct smell of heating element in the air). And it was way warmer than outside air. I even stopped and got out of the car and checked the leg vents to make sure it blows from there. I know when car is moving ventilation can push an outside air thought the system, but a) none of my cars did it before with climate off and b) even if it would work this way, it should have been same temp as outside.
I noticed the same thing yesterday on Sunday 1/9/2022 & it wasn’t that warm! I was afraid that something was overheating but no warning lights etc came on! The same thing was happening during the warmer months with cool air coming through & the controls were off!

elp_jc

Reaction score
With this vehicle, you get fresh air from the outside even with the system OFF... but the recirc button has to be in 'fresh' mode. If you put it in recirc mode (orange LED lit), then no air from outside. I really like that feature, since you don't have to have the system on all the time also in winter. If you want the air cooler or hotter, turn on your HVAC, adjust the temperature(s), and shut it off again, and you'd continue to get fresh air (albeit at a lower volume) at the temperature selected. Oh, and it also uses your last selected distribution setting (dash only, dash/floor, etc). Nothing wrong with your vehicle. Hope this helps.