what hitch receiver drop or rise are you using?

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
went to tow a motorcycle trailer this past weekend rented from u-haul.

I had a 1.5 drop receiver from my last truck, this was too low based on the mounting point of the Curt hitch. unfortunately I was unable to remove the 2" ball from it, I'm thinking the threads are rusted.

so I am looking at an adjustable receiver.

can anyone tell me what drop or rise they are using, I don't have my Palisade with me today (cycled to work) so I can't go measure. I am thinking a 1" to 4" adjustable will work, but wondering what others are using.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Hey, that's exactly what I plan on doing. I was going to buy a single drive-up trailer from Kendon, but to begin with, I don't have where to store it. And second, to use it only once or twice a year, and having to spend $3,500, plus registration and insurance, makes no sense when the U-haul one costs only $14 per day. So will do that. Yeah, it weighs 800 lbs, vs 320 or so, but with a 400+ lb bike, the SUV shouldn't struggle too much.

My next suggestion is this: DO NOT buy an adjustable hitch. Besides weighing a ton, they stick out a ton too, which is not good at all. The Palisade Curt hitch sits right at 13" from floor to the top of the interior 2" hole on the receiver, which is where you should measure. That means a 6" rise, which is very common, would put the top of the drawbar exactly where it should be, which is 19" from the ground. I think the regular length of 9" should be perfectly fine, with the distance from the drawbar pin center to the end of the bumper of 3-1/2" (got those dimensions from this video (from minute 3:30 to 4:00. Oh, and Draw-Tite and Curt are the same thing):
). It should clear the rear bumper and hatch perfectly fine, but you'll have to be the guinea pig here. Ha ha. It's always better to choose the shortest possible drawbar, especially on a unibody vehicle. Hope this helps, brother. And please let us know exactly what you bought, since I'll be on the same boat very shortly (should be getting the SUV Thursday).

Last edited:

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
elp: thanks for the info.

I am actually looking at this unit:

while overkill for the Palisade and a motorcycle trailer, It will be helpful when I get a camping trailer later this year.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

elp_jc

Reaction score
Oh man; no way in hell I'd use that on the Pali man. Just look how far back the ball is. My take is it could even be dangerous on the Pali. You need a huge wheelbase to avoid sway with something like that, plus a lot of weight. Those things are for 1-ton trucks and above man. The SUV is limited to 5K-lbs anyway, even with a WDH, so just get a 6" rise drawbar with that rating, and call it a day. It'll have the perfect height.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
they make multiple setups from 7K with 5" drop/rise to 18K with 10" drop/rise.

the 7K/5" is what I am looking at, recommended for the Ford Ranger, GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Honda Ridgeline

all have tow capacities between 4,500 and 7,000, the Palisade is right in there.

elp_jc

Reaction score
You seem hell bent on doing it, so go right ahead. But it's not good man; look up your physics book from High School on levers :). You only see those contraptions on duallies, when owners need multiple ball sizes, etc. If all you need is a 2" ball, and will tow a normal trailer (18-19" from the ground), all you need is one 6" rise drawbar. Duallies can tow way more than 5K lbs, and larger trailers can be taller, hence using those things. Hopefully you'll never have issues. Bowing out of this dead-end discussion :).

elp_jc

Reaction score
Just wanted to post the correct ball mount for the Palisade: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M30BC/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 . This 6" drop mount provides about 4-1/2" of rise, which added to the 13-1/2" hitch height, puts it at the ideal 18" from the ground, which is the height most small to medium trailers are designed for.

Hey Mr Incredible (hope you live up to that handle. Ha ha), the U-Haul motorcycle trailer requires a 2" ball, correct? Rather hear from you than U-Haul :). By the way, U-Haul just sent a message that its $204 hitch (identical to Curt's) is back-ordered 9 weeks, so just canceled it, and will order everything from Etrailer ($30 more. Oh well), except the wiring harness, which I just got. And have a question about that: It says it's for a Santa Fe, and an incorrect photo of the kit on the box, but has the correct part number of 118784. Can any of you confirm that's the correct kit for the Pali? Don't even want to open the box to check, in case it's wrong. Thanks gang.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
Just wanted to post the correct ball mount for the Palisade: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M30BC/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 . This 6" drop mount provides about 4-1/2" of rise, which added to the 13-1/2" hitch height, puts it at the ideal 18" from the ground, which is the height most small to medium trailers are designed for.

Hey Mr Incredible (hope you live up to that handle. Ha ha), the U-Haul motorcycle trailer requires a 2" ball, correct? Rather hear from you than U-Haul :). By the way, U-Haul just sent a message that its $204 hitch (identical to Curt's) is back-ordered 9 weeks, so just canceled it, and will order everything from Etrailer ($30 more. Oh well), except the wiring harness, which I just got. And have a question about that: It says it's for a Santa Fe, and an incorrect photo of the kit on the box, but has the correct part number of 118784. Can any of you confirm that's the correct kit for the Pali? Don't even want to open the box to check, in case it's wrong. Thanks gang.
4-pin?

yes part number is 118784

the packaging did say santa fe, but apparently the wiring is the same between the Santa Fe and Palisade. same one I purchased. but have since changed to the 7-pin.

Zenar

Reaction score
That rhino hitch looks heavy. FYI, you will probably be getting WDH for the trailer so you will probably not even need that for the trailer as it will go right into the receiver. So, just get the standard adjustable one, or go with the 6" rise hitch that will cost you 1/4 of that heavy bastard.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
That rhino hitch looks heavy. FYI, you will probably be getting WDH for the trailer so you will probably not even need that for the trailer as it will go right into the receiver. So, just get the standard adjustable one, or go with the 6" rise hitch that will cost you 1/4 of that heavy bastard.
it's also $300, I decided against it. and haven't readdressed the issue as I have some other things going on I need to deal with first.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I have my hitch, and 4" rise (6" drop) Curt 45070 ball mount on the way, but I'm 99% sure it'll be about 4.5" rise, since that's more or less the thickness of the metal, and it needs to be added. So it should measure pretty much the ideal 18", or very close. Will just need to take it, and the ball, to a U-Haul to get the ball installed, since I don't have a 250 ft/lb torque wrench. Should get it installed over the weekend, and will post the exact measurement, to help the gang :).