Wipers Stopped Working (snow build up)

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

RTBoston

Reaction score
Yes, I’ve cleaned the windshield and the well before starting to drive. The wetter and heavier the snow the quicker it seems to build up. The defroster works to a point until the ice and snow then Reese’s onto the windshield wiper arm/ bracket and also needs to be cleaned off.
That is straight up dangerous.

Larryg

Reaction score
well the only reason I'm for global warming is I'm playing golf in the NE in December (being sarcastic so please so no comments), but we need more snow to see if this is a real problem/design flaw. Wonder if Hyundai monitors this forum as right after I complained about the greyed out icon for the seat warmer on the remote prestart, they updated the software and removed the icon - no explanation except if you look at the details of the update, they specifically say they removed the icon.

Mickey

Reaction score
I just visited the Telluride owners forum and they are having the same issue with snow causing the wipers to stop working. Here is a link to that thread which you may be able to see even if you are not a registered user. Windshield Wiper performance issue in Heavy Snow
Everyone that has had this problem should report it to Hyundai and maybe if enough complaints it will end up as a recall as it is a safety issue. I have not experienced the problem myself but thankfully not much snow yet this season where I live.

Mike99

Reaction score
I've seen mention of this one another board and it has happened to me twice now. Thought I would see if anyone else dealt with this.
It snowed in Boston last night. Not a ton, but enough that I needed the wipers to clear the snow off the windshield this morning. That wiper movement pushed some snow into the space where the wipers sit and it appears that any impact to the wipers getting back to their original location shuts them down (maybe as a protection).
The issue is that they don't reset in any short amount of time.
For example, they stopped working 2 minutes from home and didn't reset before I got to work (25 minutes later).
No matter what I did for control, it never came back.

Guessing I'll have to call the dealership, but curious if anyone else dealt with this.

Thanks all-
Hello from snowy Canada. I have a new (2 months) 2021 Palisade Caligraphy. Noticed the same thing happen after a recent small snow fall. Only after completely clearing the snow from the wiper well could I get them to work again. Seems to be a design flaw, especially to not have that area heated (as my 2014 Venza did). Clearing the snow from that area isn’t trivial either.

Mickey

Reaction score
Hello from snowy Canada. I have a new (2 months) 2021 Palisade Caligraphy. Noticed the same thing happen after a recent small snow fall. Only after completely clearing the snow from the wiper well could I get them to work again. Seems to be a design flaw, especially to not have that area heated (as my 2014 Venza did). Clearing the snow from that area isn’t trivial either.
And if they stop working while driving on a highway during a snowstorm, that is a big safety issue.

Yaya

Reaction score
Wow I'm from the South so I doubt to ever experience this, but I will sign any petition etc. This is a safety recall lets hope they get ahead of this. It may cost a fortune but please protect us first.

RTBoston

Reaction score
I sent corporate an e-mail to document the safety concerns. If you have experienced this problem it would help if you did the same.

Email can be sent here:
Hyundai Site

Copy of my e-mail here:
There is a serious issue with the windshield wipers.
It appears there is a protection built into the wipers that shut them off if they sense any snow blocking their return to the lowest position.
While I can understand this being in place to protect the motors for the initial snow clearing exercise, this is ALSO happening while driving down the highway with snow buildup.

This has required that I pull over on the highway to clear snow, turn off the car and turn it back on so that wiper blades start functioning again.

I have never had a vehicle require this in the past and it is a huge concern for having my family in the vehicle.

When I took this in to the dealership, they told me the wipers are functioning "as intended."

This is a documented issues on more than one message board and I've included one sample here:

Please let me know how I can get this resolved.

Mickey

Reaction score
Those people that have experienced this issue may also want to add to a couple of similar complaints on the nhtsa.gov website. For some reason there are 116 Complaints and 1 Recall for the FWD model 2020 HYUNDAI PALISADE SUV FWD and none for the AWD model 2020 HYUNDAI PALISADE SUV AWD. I see only 2 complaints about snow causing the wipers to stop working and a lot about the windshield cracks/breaks caused by very small rocks or whatever.

Eric2203

Reaction score
Those people that have experienced this issue may also want to add to a couple of similar complaints on the nhtsa.gov website. For some reason there are 116 Complaints and 1 Recall for the FWD model 2020 HYUNDAI PALISADE SUV FWD and none for the AWD model 2020 HYUNDAI PALISADE SUV AWD. I see only 2 complaints about snow causing the wipers to stop working and a lot about the windshield cracks/breaks caused by very small rocks or whatever.
That's because everything is filed under the FWD model on NHTSA's website. Even AWD issues. Ignore the AWD link.

fghundt

Reaction score
FROM WESTERN WISCONSIN AND HAD THIS HAPPEN TO OUR PALISADE THIS MORNING. I DIDN'T THINK THAT
IT WAS SOMETHING THAT WAS INTENDED TO HAPPEN. I CAN SEE THAT THIS CAN CAUSE A VERY UNSAFE SITUATION.

MrClean

Reaction score
I sent corporate an e-mail to document the safety concerns. If you have experienced this problem it would help if you did the same.

Email can be sent here:
Hyundai Site

Copy of my e-mail here:
There is a serious issue with the windshield wipers.
It appears there is a protection built into the wipers that shut them off if they sense any snow blocking their return to the lowest position.
While I can understand this being in place to protect the motors for the initial snow clearing exercise, this is ALSO happening while driving down the highway with snow buildup.

This has required that I pull over on the highway to clear snow, turn off the car and turn it back on so that wiper blades start functioning again.

I have never had a vehicle require this in the past and it is a huge concern for having my family in the vehicle.

When I took this in to the dealership, they told me the wipers are functioning "as intended."

This is a documented issues on more than one message board and I've included one sample here:

Please let me know how I can get this resolved.
I would let the NHTSA know. They handle recalls. In my opinion this issue warrants a recall.

RTBoston

Reaction score
I would let the NHTSA know. They handle recalls. In my opinion this issue warrants a recall.

I've done that as well.
Got a response from corporate asking me to take it to the dealership (even though I've already done that). I'm hoping for a snowstorm so I can record the issue. I'm not going to waste the time for another "can't replicate the issue" when it's a sunny day.

Mickey

Reaction score
I haven't experienced this problem, but hardly any snow yet this winter where I live. Could it be that your wiper arms are mounted too low on the motor shaft? When the wipers on my Palisade are shut off they are about 2" above the bottom of the windshield at the center of the blade. They are also about the same distance during their operation. That seems to leave quite a bit of room for snow buildup.

MrClean

Reaction score
I haven't experienced this problem, but hardly any snow yet this winter where I live. Could it be that your wiper arms are mounted too low on the motor shaft? When the wipers on my Palisade are shut off they are about 2" above the bottom of the windshield at the center of the blade. They are also about the same distance during their operation. That seems to leave quite a bit of room for snow buildup.
Good idea Mickey. It certainly doesn't hurt to check it out. The problem is that many here are experiencing the same problem.

Popeye

Reaction score
Perhaps people could adjust the placement of the wiper arm higher on the shaft for winter and back down for summer? I have not had a problem yet and have not looked at how to remove the wiper arm from the the shaft.

G

G-386095

I've seen mention of this one another board and it has happened to me twice now. Thought I would see if anyone else dealt with this.
It snowed in Boston last night. Not a ton, but enough that I needed the wipers to clear the snow off the windshield this morning. That wiper movement pushed some snow into the space where the wipers sit and it appears that any impact to the wipers getting back to their original location shuts them down (maybe as a protection).
The issue is that they don't reset in any short amount of time.
For example, they stopped working 2 minutes from home and didn't reset before I got to work (25 minutes later).
No matter what I did for control, it never came back.

Guessing I'll have to call the dealership, but curious if anyone else dealt with this.

Thanks all-
Yessss! That’s why I’m on here right now. ANNOYING!

3sons66

Reaction score
Unfortunately I’ve come to the decision to trade our Palisade Limited with 18k miles. We purchased this vehicle after much anticipation given the reviews back in Aug 2019 and having owned a trouble free 2012 Azera. This vehicle is a death trap for those living in snowy areas. The other day we had over 24” of snow and the wipers quit completely while driving on a 4 lane highway with cars going everywhere and never came back on while snow and ice accumulated to the point of blinding us. I drove 5 miles with my head out the drivers window in 15 degree 45 mph wind. My wife and I just can’t live like this. This has happened more times than I can count. It’s gotta go! I will NEVER EVER purchase another Hyundai product ever again.

MrClean

Reaction score
Unfortunately I’ve come to the decision to trade our Palisade Limited with 18k miles. We purchased this vehicle after much anticipation given the reviews back in Aug 2019 and having owned a trouble free 2012 Azera. This vehicle is a death trap for those living in snowy areas. The other day we had over 24” of snow and the wipers quit completely while driving on a 4 lane highway with cars going everywhere and never came back on while snow and ice accumulated to the point of blinding us. I drove 5 miles with my head out the drivers window in 15 degree 45 mph wind. My wife and I just can’t live like this. This has happened more times than I can count. It’s gotta go! I will NEVER EVER purchase another Hyundai product ever again.
I would let the NHTSA know. They handle recalls. In my opinion this issue warrants a recall. Also, see post #27 by RTBoston. He has an email link to Hyundai.
Bob

Popeye

Reaction score
A recall would have a resolution to a problem. Off hand, I can't think of a resolution that could be retrofit into a current car for this.

3sons66

Reaction score
I would let the NHTSA know. They handle recalls. In my opinion this issue warrants a recall. Also, see post #27 by RTBoston. He has an email link to Hyundai.
Bob
I will. Also sent a video of the incident to Hyundai consumer affairs. In the meantime, we’ve found an awesome Toyota Highlander that will probably be taking its spot. Luckily being a new model that’s still in realitively high demand we are getting a pretty good trade in allowance even with just over 19k miles. Good bye Hyundai !