Wipers Stopped Working (snow build up)

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

MrClean

Reaction score
A recall would have a resolution to a problem. Off hand, I can't think of a resolution that could be retrofit into a current car for this.
But...they can't issue a recall until a problem is identified, and if those with the issue don't bring it to light there will never be a recall. This is too serious an issue to not be pointing it out to anybody and everybody that can fix it.

3sons66

Reaction score
But...they can't issue a recall until a problem is identified, and if those with the issue don't bring it to light there will never be a recall. This is too serious an issue to not be pointing it out to anybody and everybody that can fix it.
I’ve been complaining since LAST winter when we discovered the problem. Sent an email to Hyundai - no response other than a canned generic auto generated response. Dealer says “yeah, we know”. It’s the most asinine “safety” feature I’ve ever seen on a vehicle.

raggedy1

Reaction score
the stinky headrests got press attention. owners can try that route? get the press involved.

I don't go to the snow anymore, but I'd be pretty pissed if I had to pull over on the side of a snowy highway to dig out snow from the windshield area. Frozen hands suck! And it's dangerous to pull to the side of the road while traffic is passing.

catmiller

Reaction score
So this just happened to my husband. Was snowing. While he was stopping at a red light, the roof snow slide to the windowshield and the wipers stopped. He had to somehow navigate to the side of the road in the middle of traffic with no visability. We called the dealer, they said they never heard of it (Idaho). Told us to file a complaint with Hyundai and the US Department of Transportation File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA we have a 2021 Calligraphy

VanLimited

Reaction score
This issue happened to me tonight ~ 4" of snow, 2020 Limited, Cleared the windshield and the wiper well prior to my drive. After driving about 5 minutes the locked up and didn't come back for the remainder of the drive home (approx 25 minutes).

Eric2203

Reaction score
So this just happened to my husband. Was snowing. While he was stopping at a red light, the roof snow slide to the windowshield and the wipers stopped. He had to somehow navigate to the side of the road in the middle of traffic with no visability. We called the dealer, they said they never heard of it (Idaho). Told us to file a complaint with Hyundai and the US Department of Transportation File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA we have a 2021 Calligraphy
For the record, you should clear the snow off your roof before driving. It’s now a law in several states after people got killed from ice flying off cars or trucks in front.

If you have enough snow sliding down the windshield to block the wipers, that could happen to any car. Not just the Palisade with its recessed wipers.

3sons66

Reaction score
For the record, you should clear the snow off your roof before driving. It’s now a law in several states after people got killed from ice flying off cars or trucks in front.

If you have enough snow sliding down the windshield to block the wipers, that could happen to any car. Not just the Palisade with its recessed wipers.
Yeah, but everything including my 84 Buick would have powered right through it. These vehicles are downright dangerous.

Eric2203

Reaction score
Yeah, but everything including my 84 Buick would have powered right through it. These vehicles are downright dangerous.
Depends on the amount of snow. You should see what I see on the road: people with inches of snow on their roof, driving around completely oblivious to the cloud of snow they’re leaving behind. No wipers will survive that amount of snow falling on them when braking hard.

And your issue is that your wipers stopped working while driving. That’s bad and you definitely shouldn’t have to deal with that. Which is why you’re getting rid of the car, I presume.

But the issue being discussed here is that the wipers can’t get going because too much snow is accumulating in the recessed space while the car isn’t being used. This isn’t the same thing as your issue. And not the same thing as the poster above complaining that snow fell from the roof while braking.

It sucks you had that issue on your car, but saying these cars are dangerous is an exaggeration. I’ve not had this issue, nor has anyone else reported this issue. You just happened to have a bad one. It sucks, but it happens and doesn’t mean all Palisades will experience the same thing.

raggedy1

Reaction score
Wipers refusing to work because of snow build up creates a dangerous situation, but that doesn’t make the Palisade a dangerous car.

3sons66

Reaction score
Depends on the amount of snow. You should see what I see on the road: people with inches of snow on their roof, driving around completely oblivious to the cloud of snow they’re leaving behind. No wipers will survive that amount of snow falling on them when braking hard.

And your issue is that your wipers stopped working while driving. That’s bad and you definitely shouldn’t have to deal with that. Which is why you’re getting rid of the car, I presume.

But the issue being discussed here is that the wipers can’t get going because too much snow is accumulating in the recessed space while the car isn’t being used. This isn’t the same thing as your issue. And not the same thing as the poster above complaining that snow fell from the roof while braking.

It sucks you had that issue on your car, but saying these cars are dangerous is an exaggeration. I’ve not had this issue, nor has anyone else reported this issue. You just happened to have a bad one. It sucks, but it happens and doesn’t mean all Palisades will experience the same thing.
Huh? Obviously you have zero knowledge of this problem. Do some research, this is happening on many Palisades including the Kia Telluride (see their forums) For starters, try this forum. You’ll find many instances and no...not an exaggeration. Try it on a 4 lane highway at speed with no wipers and then come back with your exaggeration comment and tell me all about it. LOL!

MrClean

Reaction score
It IS dangerous when your wipers quit working when it is snowing. She is not the only one that has had this issue. I don't know how wide spread it is but one is too many.

Eric2203

Reaction score
Huh? Obviously you have zero knowledge of this problem. Do some research, this is happening on many Palisades including the Kia Telluride (see their forums) For starters, try this forum. You’ll find many instances and no...not an exaggeration. Try it on a 4 lane highway at speed with no wipers and then come back with your exaggeration comment and tell me all about it. LOL!
No. You’re the only instance that I recall seeing here of wipers that quit working while driving.

What others are talking about is snow accumulation in the recessed area while the vehicle is stopped, resulting in non functioning wipers when trying to turn them on.

Your problem is defective wipers. The latter is a design issue.
It IS dangerous when your wipers quit working when it is snowing. She is not the only one that has had this issue. I don't know how wide spread it is but one is too many.
Yes, it is dangerous. It’s also one instance that I recall seeing posted here. That doesn’t make every Palisade a dangerous car. Let’s keep things in perspective, shall we?

3sons66

Reaction score
No. You’re the only instance that I recall seeing here of wipers that quit working while driving.

What others are talking about is snow accumulation in the recessed area while the vehicle is stopped, resulting in non functioning wipers when trying to turn them on.

Yes, it is dangerous. It’s also one instance that I recall seeing posted here. That doesn’t make every Palisade a dangerous car. Let’s keep things

WOW. Follow along Eric.

MrClean

Reaction score
Yes, it is dangerous. It’s also one instance that I recall seeing posted here. That doesn’t make every Palisade a dangerous car. Let’s keep things in perspective, shall we?
I never said every Palisade is dangerous. What I said is the wipers not working is dangerous. I don't know the extent or reason for the wipers stopping, other than what I've read here, which is snow accumulation in the wiper well. Is it a bad sensor? Would all Palisades have this issue if driven in snow and have accumulation underneath the wiper blades? I've lived in snow states and NEVER had a vehicle where the wipers quit working due to snow accumulation. Time will tell.

MrClean

Reaction score
These are just from this thread and all of them were driving.
Had this happen to me in a blizzard this evening.terribly unsafe. I’ve never had a car do this before. Could only get them working again when I got back to my garage and dug every last piece of snow and ice out of the window well wheee the wipers sit.

I just experienced the same thing driving while it was wet snow. So dangerous.

I too am having this issue, it has happened twice during the past 2 snow storms in NE Ohio. I had t stop several times and clear out the well. Was wondering if winter wiper blades may be in order but if others are having the same issue then maybe it is a sensor issue.

I just visited the Telluride owners forum and they are having the same issue with snow causing the wipers to stop working. Here is a link to that thread which you may be able to see even if you are not a registered user. Windshield Wiper performance issue in Heavy Snow
Everyone that has had this problem should report it to Hyundai and maybe if enough complaints it will end up as a recall as it is a safety issue. I have not experienced the problem myself but thankfully not much snow yet this season where I live.

I sent corporate an e-mail to document the safety concerns. If you have experienced this problem it would help if you did the same.

Email can be sent here:
Hyundai Site

Copy of my e-mail here:
There is a serious issue with the windshield wipers.
It appears there is a protection built into the wipers that shut them off if they sense any snow blocking their return to the lowest position.
While I can understand this being in place to protect the motors for the initial snow clearing exercise, this is ALSO happening while driving down the highway with snow buildup.

This has required that I pull over on the highway to clear snow, turn off the car and turn it back on so that wiper blades start functioning again.

I have never had a vehicle require this in the past and it is a huge concern for having my family in the vehicle.

When I took this in to the dealership, they told me the wipers are functioning "as intended."

This is a documented issues on more than one message board and I've included one sample here:

Please let me know how I can get this resolved.

Unfortunately I’ve come to the decision to trade our Palisade Limited with 18k miles. We purchased this vehicle after much anticipation given the reviews back in Aug 2019 and having owned a trouble free 2012 Azera. This vehicle is a death trap for those living in snowy areas. The other day we had over 24” of snow and the wipers quit completely while driving on a 4 lane highway with cars going everywhere and never came back on while snow and ice accumulated to the point of blinding us. I drove 5 miles with my head out the drivers window in 15 degree 45 mph wind. My wife and I just can’t live like this. This has happened more times than I can count. It’s gotta go! I will NEVER EVER purchase another Hyundai product ever again.

I've seen mention of this one another board and it has happened to me twice now. Thought I would see if anyone else dealt with this.
It snowed in Boston last night. Not a ton, but enough that I needed the wipers to clear the snow off the windshield this morning. That wiper movement pushed some snow into the space where the wipers sit and it appears that any impact to the wipers getting back to their original location shuts them down (maybe as a protection).
The issue is that they don't reset in any short amount of time.
For example, they stopped working 2 minutes from home and didn't reset before I got to work (25 minutes later).
No matter what I did for control, it never came back.

Guessing I'll have to call the dealership, but curious if anyone else dealt with this.

Thanks all-

This issue happened to me tonight ~ 4" of snow, 2020 Limited, Cleared the windshield and the wiper well prior to my drive. After driving about 5 minutes the locked up and didn't come back for the remainder of the drive home (approx 25 minutes).

Eric2203

Reaction score
Yeah see, I read those as too much snow prevented the wipers from starting in the first place. Not wipers stopping while driving. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding.

Still not the same as that poster getting snow on the windshield when braking. Failure to clean the roof isn’t the cars‘s fault.

schaefferandalex

Reaction score
Is everyone having these issues with the 2020? I wonder if they fixed the problem for the 21 live in New England and have already had a few significant storms since owning my 21 SE and even had ice chunks below the wipers and still had no issues with them despite obviously hitting the ice each time they went down.

Popeye

Reaction score
I have s 2020 SEL and I'm in the Chicago area where we've seen a bit of snow and my wipers have never failed, faltered or quit. ONE time when moving my car to get my parking area cleared, I had a huge amount of wet snow slide down off the roof onto the windshield. My wipers pushed a lot of it off but a lot went into the channel area. My wipers continued to work. So with my limited experience, either you really need a lot of snow to jam them, my wipers created a ramp of snow allowing them to ride up and over the the snow to get to the bottom of the stroke, or my car has badass wipers.

Lgerry

Reaction score