Wipers Stopped Working (snow build up)

Welcome to the Hyundai Palisade community!

Click REGISTER to join us! We'd LOVE to have you... :)

RTBoston

Reaction score
You need to clear snow from ANY windshield, period. The exact same thing would happen to any car. And you also need to heat the windshield first, before operating the wipers, to prevent the wipers' frozen rubber strip from ripping off. And even throw some warm (not hot) water to the windshield, to make sure water doesn't freeze on the windshield anymore. When parked outside, you just can't take off like if the car was in a garage. You need to take the time to make it road worthy.

This is not the case with the Palisade - coming from someone that owns one and loves it.
In a bad snowstorm, even if ENTIRELY cleared, the snow builds up while driving and will shut off the wipers. It's happened to me twice.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Even with the HVAC in front defrost mode? And with set temperature warm enough inside? If yes, then it shouldn't happen. By the way, my comment was when first driving the vehicle after a snow. But if you first clear everything, it definitely shouldn't happen while driving... although if it's cold enough, I'm sure it could. So please state temperature outside when that happens, to have it as a reference. I don't know if the Pali has a heated wiper base, like my Tesla, and other vehicles. But that'd only help if you can't clear the windshield first, and let the HVAC run in defrost at full blast for a while before driving off.

Popeye

Reaction score
I'm glad that I have had no issue with the snow stopping my wipers from working. Being north of Chicago and right on the lake, I thought for sure I would have an issue based on what everyone has said. But, no, no issues last year at all. Hopefully with this being my last winter in a snowy area, I'll get away without issues again this year.

RTBoston

Reaction score
Even with the HVAC in front defrost mode? And with set temperature warm enough inside? If yes, then it shouldn't happen. By the way, my comment was when first driving the vehicle after a snow. But if you first clear everything, it definitely shouldn't happen while driving... although if it's cold enough, I'm sure it could. So please state temperature outside when that happens, to have it as a reference. I don't know if the Pali has a heated wiper base, like my Tesla, and other vehicles. But that'd only help if you can't clear the windshield first, and let the HVAC run in defrost at full blast for a while before driving off.
I'll share more info if/when it happens again this year. My sense is there is a varying degree of wiper protection sensitivity between vehicles.
Mine shut off on a 30 degree slush day where material was kicked up from a passing truck. It was also shut off from a blizzard due to snow accumulation simply while driving on a nearby highway for less than 15 minutes. I'm not suggesting my experience is the norm... just sharing, and frankly wishing it was something I could replicate for a fix. Obviously this doesn't happen at the dealership.

Craig44485

Reaction score
We are considering buying a 2021 Palisade and this wiper issue is our biggest concern. Did anyone hear back from Hyundai? For those who experienced the issue, would you still consider buying a Palisade if you had a choice? Thanks for your inputs.
I have had it happen to me a few times, 2021 Calligraphy, the issue is mainly when it's a very heavy wet type of snow, for some reason it seems the wiper motor is not strong enough. You have to stop and and remove the excess snow/ice by hand. not just at startup as I have had it happen after driving for sometime. Whenever it does sit outside I always use the remote start and have the defroster set to high, and then clean the windshield area with my snow brush/scrapers. All my other vehicles I never had an issue like this. I would not let it deter me from buying one though, other than that it's been a great vehicle so far.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like a weak motor, OR too eager current overload protection, since it's not blowing a fuse. But I have to say I've never seen a powerful wiper motor, so probably pretty close to the norm. Who knows.

magicia3

Reaction score
My Palisade
2022 Calligraphy, Hyperwhite,
I've seen mention of this one another board and it has happened to me twice now. Thought I would see if anyone else dealt with this.
It snowed in Boston last night. Not a ton, but enough that I needed the wipers to clear the snow off the windshield this morning. That wiper movement pushed some snow into the space where the wipers sit and it appears that any impact to the wipers getting back to their original location shuts them down (maybe as a protection).
The issue is that they don't reset in any short amount of time.
For example, they stopped working 2 minutes from home and didn't reset before I got to work (25 minutes later).
No matter what I did for control, it never came back.

Guessing I'll have to call the dealership, but curious if anyone else dealt with this.

Thanks all-
Try cleaning your windshield with a snow removal brush first. The wipers, on any car, are not really designed to remove sitting snow.