Wiring Harness / Curt Hitch

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

celling

Reaction score
I posted this in another Palisade Forum. Being new to Travel Trailering, I thought I would seek advice or helpful observations. We are considering purchasing a Winnebago 2108FBS trailer. I am also considering the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller and the EAZ Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distribution Hitch. Has anyone had experience with either the P3 or EAZ Lift? (2020 Palisade Limited AWD, with factory 4 PIN and Hitch).

Zenar

Reaction score
I posted this in another Palisade Forum. Being new to Travel Trailering, I thought I would seek advice or helpful observations. We are considering purchasing a Winnebago 2108FBS trailer. I am also considering the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller and the EAZ Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distribution Hitch. Has anyone had experience with either the P3 or EAZ Lift? (2020 Palisade Limited AWD, with factory 4 PIN and Hitch).
I used the P2 which was a flawless brake controller, P3 is just better so I don't think this will be a problem for you. By looking at the EAZ lift sway control the only issue i see is the sway control is a brake style sway control and not integrated into it. I had that on my santa fe with a smaller trailer. Sure it worked but I found i still had slight sway (on a smaller trailer) and I had to manually adjust it every time I connected it. So drive a mile and get out and re-adjust it. It was a nuisance. I got a Huskey WDH and it was night and day as far as sway control went. I transferred the system to my palisade and I didn't feel my 3100lbs trailer back there at all. Also, I caution you before you purchase that trailer check out the actual sticker weights on the trailer. Every trailer I looked at was off by about 5-10% from what i read online. I wouldn't exceed 4000lbs on the trailer as after you get all your occupants, gear, fluids, WDH, propane tanks you can have 1000lbs easily. A truck i would go closer to the tow rated due to most trucks are built on a frame where the pali is a unibody. Just a consideration. I ended up buying a truck because the new trailer we purchased this year was 4200lbs and the manufacturer said it was 3900 online. Just my wife, kids and I are over 500lbs WDH is 100lbs. Two tanks is another 40lbs. The fresh water tank is 300lbs. I don't have any luggage and I am over my tow limits. This is an issue because over time it will torque the unibody. Also, I believe the stock hyundai hitch is only rated at 500lbs tongue weight. What's the tongue weight on the trailer? it's supposed to be 10-15% of the trailer. If it's 10 you will be fine, but add the WDH and you are probably over that as well.
I have a 2020 Pali Ultimate
I had a Jayco 16XRB
Now I have a jayco 20BH

Last edited:

celling

Reaction score
I used the P2 which was a flawless brake controller, P3 is just better so I don't think this will be a problem for you. By looking at the EAZ lift sway control the only issue i see is the sway control is a brake style sway control and not integrated into it. I had that on my santa fe with a smaller trailer. Sure it worked but I found i still had slight sway (on a smaller trailer) and I had to manually adjust it every time I connected it. So drive a mile and get out and re-adjust it. It was a nuisance. I got a Huskey WDH and it was night and day as far as sway control went. I transferred the system to my palisade and I didn't feel my 3100lbs trailer back there at all. Also, I caution you before you purchase that trailer check out the actual sticker weights on the trailer. Every trailer I looked at was off by about 5-10% from what i read online. I wouldn't exceed 4000lbs on the trailer as after you get all your occupants, gear, fluids, WDH, propane tanks you can have 1000lbs easily. A truck i would go closer to the tow rated due to most trucks are built on a frame where the pali is a unibody. Just a consideration. I ended up buying a truck because the new trailer we purchased this year was 4200lbs and the manufacturer said it was 3900 online. Just my wife, kids and I are over 500lbs WDH is 100lbs. Two tanks is another 40lbs. The fresh water tank is 300lbs. I don't have any luggage and I am over my tow limits. This is an issue because over time it will torque the unibody. Also, I believe the stock hyundai hitch is only rated at 500lbs tongue weight. What's the tongue weight on the trailer? it's supposed to be 10-15% of the trailer. If it's 10 you will be fine, but add the WDH and you are probably over that as well.
I have a 2020 Pali Ultimate
I had a Jayco 16XRB
Now I have a jayco 20BH
Thank you for the information. I have never owned, or used, a trailer before. There is so much to take into consideration. I think we will regroup on the weight/size of the trailer, then certainly the WDH.

bytheway

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for trailer hitches I work for an OEM up fitter and get direct pricing from most manufacturers. I’ll price parts for you and see if I can beat online pricing. Same for accessories if you’re shopping for something. Feel free to take this down if that’s considered advertising, just trying to help out some palisade owners.

acolunga07

Reaction score
I just did a youtube video that walks you through the whole process (building your own 7 pin harness and installing it). I also conveniently linked all the products I purchased to make this happen.

G

G-981836

I just did a youtube video that walks you through the whole process (building your own 7 pin harness and installing it). I also conveniently linked all the products I purchased to make this happen.

This video is fantastic! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing the information.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Great thread. Will bookmark it for future reference. Hey, just one question: For the draw-bar, with a Curt/U-Haul hitch, we need a 6" rise, to bring the ball height to around 18", which is the universal height, correct? But my other question, which is the shortest length you can buy without causing possible interference issues? If somebody has a link for what you bought, it'd be great :). Thank you. I need to look for one of those 'quiet' brackets as well, to eliminate the awful noise draw-bars can make, especially on a uni-body vehicle. I had one of those on my truck.

FInally, are those brake controllers have the ability to manually brake the trailer only (without the brakes), like if it starts swaying, etc? That was a great feature my F-150 Platinum had from the factory, but just curious if it's present on those aftermarket controllers. Thank you gang.

Zenar

Reaction score
Great thread. Will bookmark it for future reference. Hey, just one question: For the draw-bar, with a Curt/U-Haul hitch, we need a 6" rise, to bring the ball height to around 18", which is the universal height, correct? But my other question, which is the shortest length you can buy without causing possible interference issues? If somebody has a link for what you bought, it'd be great :). Thank you. I need to look for one of those 'quiet' brackets as well, to eliminate the awful noise draw-bars can make, especially on a uni-body vehicle. I had one of those on my truck.

FInally, are those brake controllers have the ability to manually brake the trailer only (without the brakes), like if it starts swaying, etc? That was a great feature my F-150 Platinum had from the factory, but just curious if it's present on those aftermarket controllers. Thank you gang.
Yes, there is a manual slide/trigger to manually brake teh trailer. You use it to setup the brake controller.

Kevin83Fl

Reaction score
So I just joined here and I had some trouble doing the whole 7-pin thing, but apparently KIA makes a 7-pin that just plugs in where our 4-pin plugs in but for some reason Hyundai doesn't make it yet. I (as well as someother people which is where I got the idea) ordered the KIA harness and it just plugs in behind the driver's side rear tire panel, then it also has a plug with 4 exposed wires (these wires you would splice to your choice of wired brake controller) that plugs into the factory harness under the dash so that there is absolutely no cutting or splicing on the factory harness, just the two plugs that plug in. It is so much easier than cutting up your harness, and everything is reversible. I used the curt echo bluetooth brake controller so I don't have to mount one, but for the people worried, I have seen some mount their brake controller to the fuse cover door (near your left knee) and just order a new fuse cover door from the dealer as a replacement if you ever wanted to remove the brake controller and make it look good for re-selling the car. Here is a picture of the part, KIA part# S9F67-AC500 .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-225403_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-225403_Photos.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 7
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Kevin83Fl

Reaction score
EDIT* Sorry guys, I can't find the edit button, but the KIA part is only for the 2021 models. The 2020 isn't wired for a 7-pin. I can't say exactly what is missing as I don't have one, but I think it is just the 30a power wire for the center pin? Maybe someone can verify.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I don't see a 4-pin connector on the Kia harness pictured a few posts above. Does it have one??? And how much is that Kia harness? Just curious. The Hyundai 4-pin harness is $150 ($120 lowest price found, + shipping), so the Kia is probably significantly higher than that, I believe.

For less than $30 delivered, I think the Tekonsha 4-pin wire harness was a good buy from Amazon.

Kevin83Fl

Reaction score
The flat 4pin trailer harness from Tekonsha is good if you tow less than 3500lbs, and/or tow a trailer without trailer brakes (trailer brakes are required if towing over 3500lbs I believe.) The 7-pin is for towing with trailer brakes, and also has an integrated power circuit which is commonly used for power tongue jacks, and to charge accessory batteries (like for camper trailers.) The 4-pin harness I was talking about is the plug with 4 exposed wires that plugs in under the dash and the 4 exposed wires are then spliced into your brake controller of choice. The one in the picture above (part# S9F67 AC060) comes with part # S9F67 AC500. It is in the upper left of the picture above but still in the bag in my picture. I didn't use it yet because right now I am using the curt echo bluetooth controller, but may change later to a wired controller. I paid $145 (ish) shipped from kia.parts out of Arizona. They shipped quick too.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Thank you. Amazing that they cost the same, but good to know. I was specifically asking if the harness has BOTH the 7-pin AND 4-pin connectors, which was my understanding, but apparently not. You could always get a bulky 7-pin to 4-pin adapter for those who have it, but since I don't want that bulky connector, the only way I'd buy it is if the Kia harness has both, so I can hide the 7-pin, and just leave exposed the 4-pin one, which is probably the one I'll ever need. Since I already ordered the 4-pin Tekonsha, will forget about the Kia. Only if I ever need to tow anything with electric brakes, which I highly doubt. Thanks again for your great help.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
Thank you. Amazing that they cost the same, but good to know. I was specifically asking if the harness has BOTH the 7-pin AND 4-pin connectors, which was my understanding, but apparently not. You could always get a bulky 7-pin to 4-pin adapter for those who have it, but since I don't want that bulky connector, the only way I'd buy it is if the Kia harness has both, so I can hide the 7-pin, and just leave exposed the 4-pin one, which is probably the one I'll ever need. Since I already ordered the 4-pin Tekonsha, will forget about the Kia. Only if I ever need to tow anything with electric brakes, which I highly doubt. Thanks again for your great help.
no it doesn't have both. 7-pin has the 7-pin only for the rear and a 4-pin to go into the brake controller at the front. the 4-pin for the BC is a bare wire connector that you have to splice into your BC.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Thank you. I guess you'd have to buy one of those long 7-pin to 4-pin adapters if you need a 4-pin connector, like for utility and boat trailers. I was used to my 2018 F-150 Platinum, which had both connectors from the factory right on the bumper, plus a factory electric brake controller. I doubt I'd ever need it, so not a big deal, but glad my 2021 Pali is already wired for it. I'd probably just opt for the BT Curt many are using, since I don't want to mess with the interior, plus it wouldn't look integrated anyway (ha ha).

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
Thank you. I guess you'd have to buy one of those long 7-pin to 4-pin adapters if you need a 4-pin connector, like for utility and boat trailers. I was used to my 2018 F-150 Platinum, which had both connectors from the factory right on the bumper, plus a factory electric brake controller. I doubt I'd ever need it, so not a big deal, but glad my 2021 Pali is already wired for it. I'd probably just opt for the BT Curt many are using, since I don't want to mess with the interior, plus it wouldn't look integrated anyway (ha ha).
Yeah I got the 7 to 4/5 adapter. The one I got does 4-pin or 5-pin (5th pin is the reverse light).