Check your Palisade

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Julia

Reaction score
I am little confused. I had a very small white spot of missing paint as well on the spot where the picture is. That look like metal to me, not plastic.
I do think we know for sure it's plastic. I honestly think it looks like a spot was just missed while being painted rather than damage, because I don't believe it comes into contact with anything. That's what mine looks like anyway.

Flightwatch

Reaction score
It's plastic no doubt. The metal confusion came about because it does look like shiny metal.

It is a no-contact area until that trim piece starts vibrating and shimmying in the slipstream while you are driving. Then it does make contact.

raggedy1

Reaction score
Just returned from a 2k mile trip with most miles travelled at 85 mph, with some stints up to 100mph and I don't see any evidence of contact in the area mentioned. Guess I am lucky.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

scotttorrez

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I decided to check my Palisade and sure enough, I have similar white marks showing in the same areas.

Attachments

• Driver Side.jpg
    Driver Side.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Passenger Side.jpg
    Passenger Side.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 38

Julia

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I decided to check my Palisade and sure enough, I have similar white marks showing in the same areas.
Honestly, I think we all do. I don't believe it's anything to worry about and--at least on mine--nothing touches that area so I don't look for it to get worse.

Popeye

Reaction score
I have the same marks and it will get worse. The bottom part can slide up and down, contacting the top part. Why it does it, I don't know. My car is at the dealership getting it repainted. Once I get it back, I am going to jam some stiff foam (or something like that), in the gap at the bottom of the bottom piece so it won't be able to slide up.

Stocker

Reaction score
I had the same marks, and when Hyundai Headquarters looked at it, they authorized my dealer to send my car out to have the entire tailgate repainted and the trim refitted. Must be somewhat known as in 2 days they authorized this. Going to go pick it up and hope my baby still looks as good as the day I bought it.

raggedy1

Reaction score
Ok, so I just found the paint chipped in the area noted in this thread. I was fine until this week. The edges of the black plastic isn't close to touching the painted hatch area, but there is a decent sized paint chip now so it's completely white showing through. Weird, but I guess from flexing or wind pressure the black plastic gets pressed down to the point it makes contact with the painted surface?

I'm going to order a bottle of touch up paint. If I need to dab on a bit of paint every few thousand miles then that's not a huge deal to me. It's only on the driver side.

Oh, I just noticed the more recent post about thinking it will just happen again. Hmmm, I have plenty of the foam rope I used for curing my wind noise. Maybe a small bit of foam in there will keep it from chipping again. hahaha

raggedy1

Reaction score
So since Popeye mentioned the bottom piece moves, I looked again. The gap has closed as it sits in the sun, so I can assume right now that temperature makes the pieces move and the small gap beteeen the panels shrink.

I grabbed my handy foam rope and did a quick fix. I will eventually get some touch up paint but for now it’s protected from future and further paint damage.

I doubt it’s noticeable to anyone not looking for it.

Attachments

• BAECE11F-E51C-4A6E-8187-D5EE2F60B7A8.jpeg
    BAECE11F-E51C-4A6E-8187-D5EE2F60B7A8.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 475706BE-F1E3-4CBF-9EC2-5ADA9995C327.jpeg
    475706BE-F1E3-4CBF-9EC2-5ADA9995C327.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 16

Zenar

Reaction score
So since Popeye mentioned the bottom piece moves, I looked again. The gap has closed as it sits in the sun, so I can assume right now that temperature makes the pieces move and the small gap beteeen the panels shrink.

I grabbed my handy foam rope and did a quick fix. I will eventually get some touch up paint but for now it’s protected from future and further paint damage.

I doubt it’s noticeable to anyone not looking for it.
My only concern with that is will it let water get trapped or pushed up under the plastic and rot the inside

Popeye

Reaction score
The body shop had to repaint the entire lift gate and to do so, had to disassemble it. The guy told me the parts attach with clips that allow them to rub. He said they used some adhesive to keep them from rubbing.

raggedy1

Reaction score
The parts do move as if they are clipped on. I’m not concerned about water and rust. It looks like the foam sits in what is basically a plastic channel so there is nothing to rust.